What's new

Looking to extend Wi-Fi range in my home

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Mohamed Shedeed

New Around Here
Hi guys

So I've been looking for a new access point to extend Wi-Fi coverage in my home. Thing is, options are limited here in my country and to be honest, I am no expert when it comes to these stuff.

My options are:

• TP LINK 300Mbps Wireless N Ceiling Mount Access Point EAP110
  • TP-LINK 300Mbps Wireless N Ceiling Mount Access Point EAP115
  • TP-link 450 Mbps Wireless N Access Point - TL-WA901ND
  • EDIMAX 5-in-1 N300 Wi-Fi Router, Access Point, Range Extender, Wi-Fi Bridge & WISP BR-6428nS V4
  • D-link Access Point Wireless AC1200 Dual Band / DAP-1665
  • LINKSYS AC1200 WiFi Access Point / WAP1200AC
Unfortunately, these are pretty much the only options I have here in Egypt.

My internet speed is 15Mbps so I don't think I would benefit from 802.11ac, also do I have to mount the EAP access point on the wall or could it work by being placed horizontally anywhere?

What I am looking for is maximum coverage and an upgrade from my current AP (150Mbps Wireless N Access Point TL-WA701ND).

Thank you..

Wireless AC will give you a little better range than N if I'm not mistaken. Even with N clients.

a sketch of your house/apartment/condo layout ( ground and any floors above) with the location of the current AP, the construction interior and exterior walls described, and areas where you have wireless issues circled would be useful for us to help you.

Do you have neighbors with wireless that cause you issues ?

you can set an AP horizontally on top of something. You just want a lot of open air above and around it horizontally. That is why we use ceilings usually. Wall mount can work if you are trying to reach two floors and have a narrow floor plan layout.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!