What's new

Looking to replace AC68U with either AX86U or AX82U

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

darkarcheangel

New Around Here
I'm looking at possibly replacing my Asus AC68U with either of the new WiFi 6 routers AX86U or AX82U.
I'm currently running Merlin firmware with both skynet and flexqos, with Virgin media 200Mb.
My old router is still going strong (5-6years now) just needing some advice on the benefits of purchasing either of these new routers, and as to whether I need too also.
My household does both a lot of gaming and video streaming.
Any advice would be much appreciated.
Thank you in advance.

Of course AX86U. It is on the way to Merlin as I have seen it in Merlin twitter.

I'm looking at possibly replacing my Asus AC68U with either of the new WiFi 6 routers AX86U or AX82U.
I'm currently running Merlin firmware with both skynet and flexqos, with Virgin media 200Mb.
My old router is still going strong (5-6years now) just needing some advice on the benefits of purchasing either of these new routers, and as to whether I need too also.
My household does both a lot of gaming and video streaming.
Any advice would be much appreciated.
Thank you in advance.

Note that WiFi 6e products are beginning to arrive, which might make waiting for them an option.

OE

No, they're far from 'arriving'. I expect next summer to be ripe for Wi-Fi 6E shopping sprees.

No, they're far from 'arriving'. I expect next summer to be ripe for Wi-Fi 6E shopping sprees.

Buying AC now and waiting for 6e to arrive is the option I suggested.

OE

The Wifi6E devices won't be backward compatible, right?

They should support previous WiFi standards else people wouldn't be able to use them with their existing clients.

OE

Client devices or routers?

The client devices won't be able to leverage the benefits of Wi-Fi 6E (ever).

But routers will have legacy hardware for those older clients too.

What is usually seen though is that the latest router specs have improvements for real-world use even for the older clients because of improved radios, antennae, chipset design, and/or other improvements since the old standard was originally introduced and implemented in the older routers of those specs.

At least worth testing with (when they become available), even if you have no Wi-Fi 6E client devices, still.

Personally, I wouldn`t bother waiting for Wifi 6e, because by the time there will be reasonably priced routers supporting it and enough clients to justify it, you will think: "Oh wait, maybe I should wait for 802.11ay/Wifi 7". And it will simply never end.

Go for what fulfills your needs right now.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!