What's new

looking to "upgrade"

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

KRDucky

New Around Here
I currently have a Dell Poweredge T320 server with 8x 4TB WD Reds in it.

I want to downsize my server to a NAS.
I also plan to upgrade the drive capacity.
I need hardware transcoding.
I run Jellyfin and Plex

ASUSTOR, Synology and QNAP are tough to choose between.

My current server has a RAID-6 array with 2x NVMe caching drives. I utilized the LVM2 soft raid method. With MDADM.

If I were to get a NAS with 8 bays, I'd be looking at ~$2200 just in drives. That's too much for my blood.

Thoughts?
I really like the ASUSTOR Live application since it could take a load off my desktop for livestreaming. I wish I could get the power of QNAP with SHR and ASUSTOR Live in one box.

More bays obviously increases the cost almost exponentially. You are the only one that can decide if you *need* it. Most people are happy with a 2-bay NAS and large capacity drives. I have 4x 2-bay units and 1x 5-bay. The 5-bay is primarily for capacity (5x 10TB) but raid5 give me some resilience to drive failure. The 2-bay units all run mirrors, so lower capacity, but are used for specific functions / projects.

Even my lower end units, that have Plex, seem perfectly capable, but I don't know your specific requirements. If you really need all that power and caching, then there will definitely be a hefty price tag.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!