What's new

Loopback - Any configuration options

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Alex Arcanus

New Around Here
Good Day, I was hoping to get some advice. I cannot connect to a server on my network through the external IP, I was previously able to do so using the "Merlin" setting on "NAT Loopback." I know the setting is no longer supported, but was hoping to get some advice on other options available.

>> Longer Version <<

I recently updated from a RT-n66u to an RT-AX88U. I have both devices running the latest Merlin, although the RT-n66u was several revisions behind due to no longer being supported. I have almost everything setup, the last bit is a "game server" I run from my home, my family uses it as a virtual chat room to stay in touch with each other \ pass time.

I have port forwarding enabled, and multiple people are able to connect to the server from multiple locations, except for me :( The issue was previously resolved using the "Merlin" setting on the "NAT Loopback" configuration item. I understand this setting is no longer available due to difficulty in supporting it. Is there anything else I might set or configure to bridge whatever this technical gap is between the ASUS loopback settings and the Merlin loopback settings?

The game relies on UDP traffic, it connects on "Port A" as a "query port" and then uses "Port B" as the game port (set to custom settings in my case). As mentioned, several of my family members are able to connect from outside my network, but I am unable to connect from inside my network (I have to use the external IP for reasons that are very stupid to me, I can't connect via an internal IP).

Any advice would be appreciated. I can always go with an older version of Merlin, but would prefer to stay up to date if possible.

Since it seems like you can connect with the external IP, I don't see an issue here?

Simply wanting it to work as it did a few years ago is okay, but it is not fruitful?

Did you simply transfer the settings you used from your old router/firmware to the new router? Which is the 'latest' RMerlin firmware specifically? 384.12 Beta 2 is running wonderfully for myself and many others, for example. :)

You also have to be a little more patient with your requests. Waiting a whole 13 minutes is not giving the members (who are on all timezones all over the world) a chance to give you any possible help. :)

Firstly, I appreciate the response, TY.

I am unable to connect to the server. The way the game is setup I can't direct connect to the internal IP, so I would have to connect via the external IP, thus the dependency on loopback. The loopback worked fine under the older (no longer supported) Merlin implementation. Again, just looking for advice, I have a concurrent chat with ASUS support at the moment.

As far as the upgrade process goes - I basically did a settings transfer, but I did verify the settings. The upgrade process was basically 1) Connect to router. 2) Upgrade to latest Merlin. 3) upload config from other router. My home network includes an IT lab, I'm running several virtual machines on two physical hosts. All the settings for those transferred and have been verified (static routes, etc).

Also appreciate your request for patience - I completely understand. I was going to just run an older firmware until I saw that the oldest Merlin firmware for this router was newer than when the loopback feature was pulled, figured I'd add that in. This issue isn't the end of the world, it's ultimately just a video game connection, but it's something we enjoy doing together. Again - appreciate any advice you may have.

Since it seems like you can connect with the external IP, I don't see an issue here?

Simply wanting it to work as it did a few years ago is okay, but it is not fruitful?

Did you simply transfer the settings you used from your old router/firmware to the new router? Which is the 'latest' RMerlin firmware specifically? 384.12 Beta 2 is running wonderfully for myself and many others, for example. :)

You also have to be a little more patient with your requests. Waiting a whole 13 minutes is not giving the members (who are on all timezones all over the world) a chance to give you any possible help. :)

dispite what Asus advertises loading config on different router and even same model have mostly impacts nobody can solve, thats why you shall factory reset now (otherwise bad values keeps staying) and config by hand!

Even if it doesnt solve your issue you can reload recent saved config and go back within a minute to what you have right now.

The upgrade process was basically 1) Connect to router. 2) Upgrade to latest Merlin. 3) upload config from other router.

Stop doing 3) and after 2) do an M&M Config instead.

That is, do a minimal and manual configuration to just connect to your ISP and secure your router.

Do not automatically assume past settings are useful or even relevant in today's firmware and router hardware. Things change, progress happens, it's up to you to keep up.

With the state you've put your router in doing 3), I would suggest doing the following, to get your router to a truly good/known state:

Nuclear Reset https://www.snbforums.com/threads/major-issues-w-rt-ac86u.56342/page-4#post-495710

The above link includes the M&M Config link too and may be all you need.

But with each new router, I perform a full network, client, router, and modem reset to ensure maximum performance, stability, and functionality of the latest hardware and firmware for myself and my customers. :)

Good Day, I was hoping to get some advice. I cannot connect to a server on my network through the external IP, I was previously able to do so using the "Merlin" setting on "NAT Loopback." I know the setting is no longer supported, but was hoping to get some advice on other options available.

>> Longer Version <<

I recently updated from a RT-n66u to an RT-AX88U. I have both devices running the latest Merlin, although the RT-n66u was several revisions behind due to no longer being supported. I have almost everything setup, the last bit is a "game server" I run from my home, my family uses it as a virtual chat room to stay in touch with each other \ pass time.

I have port forwarding enabled, and multiple people are able to connect to the server from multiple locations, except for me :( The issue was previously resolved using the "Merlin" setting on the "NAT Loopback" configuration item. I understand this setting is no longer available due to difficulty in supporting it. Is there anything else I might set or configure to bridge whatever this technical gap is between the ASUS loopback settings and the Merlin loopback settings?

The game relies on UDP traffic, it connects on "Port A" as a "query port" and then uses "Port B" as the game port (set to custom settings in my case). As mentioned, several of my family members are able to connect from outside my network, but I am unable to connect from inside my network (I have to use the external IP for reasons that are very stupid to me, I can't connect via an internal IP).

Any advice would be appreciated. I can always go with an older version of Merlin, but would prefer to stay up to date if possible.
Set Nat to full cone try that option probably will help.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!