What's new

LOOSE RJ45 jacks: TWO BRAND NEW RT N66U's

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

At this point we should all drop the discussion about how Asus should or shouldn't have handled the process, and wait for any real update, as this part has been pretty much rehashed to death by now. The next stage is for the replacement to get to the user, so he can send back the device that exhibits the issue so Asus can have a case in hand to analyse.

An Asus representative already personally posted on this thread that they were taking the issue seriously. My own contact at Asus has also told me the same thing a few days ago. Having personally worked with that contact for over a year now, he has my complete trust that he is being honest there (and he is in fact personally involved in this case).

The actual exchange process simply needs to take place so the user can have a fully working router, and Asus can have a defective sample in hand for analysis.

Last edited:
your not the only one, but the rest of the world don't sit wiggling the jacks on the back of the router, I did check mine on the off chance as I tend to have bad luck with most things, but not in this case.

I do moan if I find a problem, the Morons at Netgear who introduced a bug with the N4500's latest firmware causing the power light to flash orange & green came back after 2 months of bumping me to the development team with this cracking answer.

Dear Mr. Holland,

My name is Carl and I am following up on your case.

Based on our findings we have determined that the NETGEAR WNDR4500 Router will flash the power LED when in AP mode.

Thanks for choosing NETGEAR.

Regards,

Carl Von Chavez
EXPERT ID 74007
NETGEAR Support Expert

Needless to say I went off on one with my reply last night pointing out it never did this until the latest firmware and a few more choice words.

It looks like that for instance Netgears support is worse than Asus so we can hope that Asus finds it is worthwhile to have a more decent support organisation so that they can get happy users of the Asus equipment .....

your not the only one, but the rest of the world don't sit wiggling the jacks on the back of the router, I did check mine on the off chance as I tend to have bad luck with most things, but not in this case.

I do moan if I find a problem, the Morons at Netgear who introduced a bug with the N4500's latest firmware causing the power light to flash orange & green came back after 2 months of bumping me to the development team with this cracking answer.

Needless to say I went off on one with my reply last night pointing out it never did this until the latest firmware and a few more choice words.

I actually was doing some troubleshooting today and found my first loose port (D-link rack mount switch) in recent memory that would go in and out (of connection) by wiggling it.

But, it was on the far edge of the router (port #24 on a 24 port router) and think I probably just torqued it over time via my OCD cable management on my little rack by using a lot of very short cables to connect to patch panel above.

So this one was on me.

UPDATE: The new RT N66U wireless router I received from ASUS, albeit with considerable trouble and inconvenience, works and does not exhibit the same severe problem the previous three new ones did, where minor wiggling of the ethernet cables caused RT N66U disconnects. The latest unit behaves normally and like any other wireless router I've had in all these years.

As a summary:

1. I bought an RT R66U from Amazon a few weeks ago and discovered the problem where minor bumps or wiggling to the ethernet cables on any of the 4 RJ 45 ports caused disconnects(see video below).
2. I exchanged it with a second one from Amazon. Same problem. RT N66U disconnects. Returned it.
3. I bought one from Bestbuy (RT N66R=RT N66U). Same problem. RT N66U disconnects.
4. After considerable time spent with ASUS, they agreed to send me a new one manufactured Aug 2013. They claim the BestBuy model was manufactured May 2013. As if there weren't enough inconvenience for their customer, for some inexplicable reason, ASUS refused to send the item to my house by standard delivery, and required personal signature. This would have required me to stay home for the day until FedEx arrived. As a a result, I was forced to re-route it to a FedEx office and endure even more inconvenience to go there and pick it up. To make it worse, ASUS is also forcing me to return the faulty RT N66U via a remote FedEx office instead of leaving it at home for FedEx pickup. ASUS' is behavior is awful.

So now I finally have an item I paid for. Which is only normal.

I'll be returning the faulty one Monday.

Here is a video of the problem: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aoQaQBpqgrI

Last edited:
I actually was doing some troubleshooting today and found my first loose port (D-link rack mount switch) in recent memory that would go in and out (of connection) by wiggling it.

But, it was on the far edge of the router (port #24 on a 24 port router) and think I probably just torqued it over time via my OCD cable management on my little rack by using a lot of very short cables to connect to patch panel above.

So this one was on me.

So is it the port that got damaged? Or the plug/cable?

UPDATE: The new RT N66U wireless router I received from ASUS, albeit with considerable trouble and inconvenience, works and does not exhibit the same severe problem the previous three new ones did, where minor wiggling of the ethernet cables caused RT N66U disconnects. The latest unit behaves normally and like any other wireless router I've had in all these years.

As a summary:

1. I bought an RT R66U from Amazon a few weeks ago and discovered the problem where minor bumps or wiggling to the ethernet cables on any of the 4 RJ 45 ports caused disconnects(see video below).
2. I exchanged it with a second one from Amazon. Same problem. RT N66U disconnects. Returned it.
3. I bought one from Bestbuy (RT N66R=RT N66U). Same problem. RT N66U disconnects.
4. After considerable time spent with ASUS, they agreed to send me a new one manufactured Aug 2013. They claim the BestBuy model was manufactured May 2013. As if there weren't enough inconvenience for their customer, for some inexplicable reason, ASUS refused to send the item to my house by standard delivery, and required personal signature. This would have required me to stay home for the day until FedEx arrived. As a a result, I was forced to re-route it to a FedEx office and endure even more inconvenience to go there and pick it up.

So now I finally have an item I paid for. Which is only normal.

I'll be returning the faulty one Monday.

Here is a video of the problem: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aoQaQBpqgrI

Thanks for the report.

Good to hear that Asus got it right (though they should still recall that batch from distributors/retailers to make it complete).

Thanks for the report.

Good to hear that Asus got it right (though they should still recall that batch from distributors/retailers to make it complete).

That's why they need a confirmed defective sample in hand first.

It's good know Asus was able to take care of the problem as you would expect from any reputable company.

... As if there weren't enough inconvenience for their customer, for some inexplicable reason, ASUS refused to send the item to my house by standard delivery, and required personal signature. This would have required me to stay home for the day until FedEx arrived. As a a result, I was forced to re-route it to a FedEx office and endure even more inconvenience to go there and pick it up.

Requiring a signature to verify receipt of products has been normal practice by many computer and electronics companies for a long time. I had to sign for a Fedex delivery for a new Mac I purchased this past year. I don't like having to be there to sign or pick it up at the local shipping office but I dealt with it. It's also a pain to have to return items to the store. The problem is that with more and more expensive electronics and computers being sold online and shipped to the buyers it means there is increasing fraud and theft of those expensive products. Despite the use of shipping insurance expect this practice of not being able to opt out of having to sign for certain delivery of higher cost items to become more common in the future.

Last edited:
I wanted to say you're not alone with this issue.

Back in July I too went through 3 separate RT-N66U's from Amazon, all with the same issue you have documented here. If there is any tiny strain (pull) on the cat 5 my connection drops to 100mbit and if there is even a slight pulling force it will drop the port completely as you have experienced.

The one I have now still has the wiggle issue but it isn't as bad and as long as the RJ45 is forced into the jack, I can maintain the 1000mbs link.

Wonder if I should talk to Asus about this and get a replacement.

I would at least contact them through that email address they posted, with your serial number, date and place of purchase. Any additional info might help them in tracking down the issue. They will tell you then if the device should be replaced or not.

First off, glad it sounds like you've come to the end of your lemon string! That can be very aggravating I'm sure. Thankfully no lemon lulls for me in the router dept yet.

I concur w/ @socalreviews 100% on the FedEx thing. Many companies that might ship a product out to a consumer initially w/ no signature required, or with "deferred signature" required (ie you can pre-sign/leave a note) but will automatically bump it to direct sig required once you get into a return situation.

It adds some headache when already a bit frustrated, but from the company's perspective it's a situation where they need to know you personally have possession of the shipment vs the convenience of knowing that it was dropped off for you at X time.

@socalreviews is exactly right though, I forget where I read this, Crain's maybe(?), but there's a formula for the cost of supporting a product and once in a support cycle this is a very widespread thing that helps expedite the best possible outcome for the most economical cost.

It's good know Asus was able to take care of the problem as you would expect from any reputable company.

Requiring a signature to verify receipt of products has been normal practice by many computer and electronics companies for a long time. <CLIP>

That is incorrect. ASUS sends items normally if they were standard RMA (customer returns the unit, and is left without one, and THEN ASUS send them a replacement). In my case, it was 'advanced placement' (ASUS sends a unit and THEN customer returns theirs), which under their customer unfriendly and nonsensical rules, meant they send it with direct signature required, meaning customer stays at home all day as compensation for ASUS' failures. I have correspondence from ASUS indicating that.

I have urged you before to read the previous posts before inserting, again, a factless post of your own. I have also clipped the remainder of your long post because the very premise was incorrect and would have mislead the public.

Thanks!

Last edited:
I wanted to say you're not alone with this issue.

Back in July I too went through 3 separate RT-N66U's from Amazon, all with the same issue you have documented here. If there is any tiny strain (pull) on the cat 5 my connection drops to 100mbit and if there is even a slight pulling force it will drop the port completely as you have experienced.

The one I have now still has the wiggle issue but it isn't as bad and as long as the RJ45 is forced into the jack, I can maintain the 1000mbs link.

YES. You have a product with a critical flaw. You should also insist on getting a brand new replacement and not a re-manufactured one since the product flaw was there from the start.

Last edited:
Hmmm,
Signature required on delivery? I just leave a note at the door saying, "Please leave the pkg inside the garage doggie door" and I sign the note. The delivery person takes the note. Works every time. Also if one is being returned the guy delivering it is ready to pick up the return item with all the necessary paper work. One trip does it. At least that's how it works where I live. Waiting for a pkg all day at home to sign for it is little ridiculous to me. If delivered pkg gets lost when I am not home? I don't live in a neighborhood like that. Been here over 20 some years robbery, theft never happened on my Cul de Sac of 7 houses. Knocking on the wood now.

Hmmm,
Signature required on delivery? I just leave a note at the door saying, "Please leave the pkg inside the garage doggie door" and I sign the note. The delivery person takes the note. Works every time. Also if one is being returned the guy delivering it is ready to pick up the return item with all the necessary paper work. One trip does it. At least that's how it works where I live. Waiting for a pkg all day at home to sign for it is little ridiculous to me. If delivered pkg gets lost when I am not home? I don't live in a neighborhood like that. Been here over 20 some years robbery, theft never happened on my Cul de Sac of 7 houses. Knocking on the wood now.

To be clear, there are different delivery options and by different shippers. FedEx's 'direct signature required' is meant to also prove to the SENDER that you have physically received the item. Although, there is a 'crime' dimension to it, it is primarily used by senders as part of the process flow and to the sender's benefit at the expense of inconveniencing the customer. Judging from what you have indicated, you probably have never received 'DIRECT signature required' from FedEx. You have no way out of it because it is a sender requirement imposed on FedEx. On a different note, FedEx SOMETIMES accepts a signed paper stuck on the door for 'INDIRECT signature required' items. UPS, in the other hand, accepts an online signature in lieu of direct signature ('UPS Choice'. Free). I have received far FAR more expensive toys (bicycles, iMacs, HDTVs) via UPS and from other vendors without requiring me to stay at home for a day. Unlike ASUS with their little $150 toy.

Last edited:
Hi,
Maybe where I live it is different? UPS, FEDEX, Purolator, DHL, Canada Post I never had any issues with delivery of any kind. Even 60" flat panel TV set was delivered when no one was home. Often my son or wife sign for an item for me vice versa, no problem. also I have accounts with major couriers for our small business. Maybe that's why.

Hi,
Maybe where I live it is different? UPS, FEDEX, Purolator, DHL, Canada Post I never had any issues with delivery of any kind. Even 60" flat panel TV set was delivered when no one was home. Often my son or wife sign for an item for me vice versa, no problem. also I have accounts with major couriers for our small business. Maybe that's why.

Well, you are touching on a point I've been making. If all the vendors send the RT N66U without requiring direct signature, it is preposterous that ASUS does require it for an 'advanced placement'.

BTW, I forgot to mention, ASUS also REQUIRES me to take the faulty item to a FedEX office. I can't just leave it at home for pickup by FedEx. ASUS is, simply, not customer friendly.

Thanks!

That is incorrect. ASUS sends items normally if they were standard RMA (customer returns the unit, and is left without one, and THEN ASUS send them a replacement). In my case, it was 'advanced placement' (ASUS sends a unit and THEN customer returns theirs), which under their customer unfriendly and nonsensical rules, meant they send it with direct signature required, meaning customer stays at home all day as compensation for ASUS' failures. I have correspondence from ASUS indicating that.

I have urged you before to read the previous posts before inserting, again, a factless post of your own. I have also clipped the remainder of your long post because the very premise was incorrect and would have mislead the public.

Thanks!

I am not incorrect. This is exactly what happened to me. I had to be at home or arrange to drive to pick up at the Fedex office and sign with a signature in person to receive the new Mac. These were the exact same requirements you had with the Asus replacement router that was shipped by Asus. When I ordered products before that were shipped by UPS or Fedex I could usually leave a paper with signature at the door but that wasn't an option for me either. The fact is that some sellers allow more flexibility for shipping items to their customers and some don't.

Therefore...Why would you assume that requiring a signature is some kind of malicious act by Asus to anger their customers?

Quote... "I have also clipped the remainder of your long post because the very premise was incorrect and would have mislead the public."

...Are you implying that I spend time posting in this forum to mislead the public?

I have to admit that your perspective seems to be one full of constant paranoia, distrust and suspicion. It's one thing to be upset because you felt a company sold you a faulty product and refused to replace it. That is not the case here at all. Asus obviously had an issue that effected a limited run of routers. It was a physical problem with Ethernet jacks that was the likely fault of one of their RJ-45 jack suppliers and not Asus. It also wasn't a problem that was easily detectable during quality control either because I am sure that they don't plug in an Ethernet cable and wiggle all five RJ-45 jacks on every single router they sell. They probably test one router out of a number of a production run of routers. They could have tested a number of times during that production run and not noticed the problem which is similar to what others have posted who didn't seem to notice the problem.

The truth is that when anyone with common sense looks at this rationally it is easy to see that Asus didn't act different than any other reputable computer or electronics company would have to solve the loose jacks issue for you. To state otherwise would be an act of misleading the public.

Last edited:
I am not incorrect. This is exactly what happened to me. <CLIP>.

What happened to you has no relevance to this conversation. I clipped the rest of your LONG (and odd) post because, again, your premise was incorrect.

I reiterate, please read previous posts, get yourself up to speed and then contribute (concisely). You are confused and your posts have no bearing on this thread.

Thanks!

Last edited:

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!