What's new

LOOSE RJ45 jacks: TWO BRAND NEW RT N66U's

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

He specifically said he was reusing his cables from his previous router. My response was a one-off for a specific situation relayed in one certain post. I am not in any way suggesting that everyone's problem is due to aged or worn cabling and/or ports. I guess that I should have put a disclaimer in there.

Aside from the same problem with ASUS' provided 'new' cable, yes, I am re-using my own CAT 6 cables (about a year old). However, generally speaking,why would there be 'wear and tear' when all they do is sit there connected (to my previous router) for months and months in a nice indoor environment? I'm not sure where 'wear and tear' comes from in this case? I might see it if one habitually (dis)connects their router and moves it around in the order of tens of times a day. Which a normal user never does.

So no, the cables are definitely not the issue. Someone said their AC66U is working fine. I'll wait to see what ASUS comes up with. I am curious.

Probably a dumb question, sorry if I missed it, but does the link LED go out on the router when it disconnects?

Does it happen with any PC or device connected to the router? I know it shouldn't matter the device because you are wiggling the cable on the router side, but just grasping at straws I guess. It all sounds so strange.

Last edited:
Probably a dumb question, sorry if I missed it, but does the link LED go out on the router when it disconnects?

Does it happen with any PC or device connected to the router? I know it shouldn't matter the device because you are wiggling the cable on the router side, but just grasping at straws I guess. It all sounds so strange.

Here is the video he posted that shows the problem in detail. The video was not made buy the OP so as he stated others have the issue as well.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aoQaQBpqgrI

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Last edited by a moderator:
Just got one in today for a customer from NCIX and it has the exact same problem, where my other one which is about a year old does not.

Just got one in today for a customer from NCIX and it has the exact same problem, where my other one which is about a year old does not.

Bingo. To recap, I ordered TWO from Amazon, and bought one from BestBuy. All exhibited this major flaw. Not sure what to conclude yet. Is this a bad batch and are we all unlucky? Or is it a universal flaw with ALL 'new' RT N66Us (or RT N66Rs)? Considering the different vendors (and countries) I believe it is the latter unfortunately.

Last edited:
I'm starting to wonder if it might be a bad batch, like the RT-AC66U that shipped with a corrupted firmware.

I recommend those affected send a PM to CL-Jeremy on the forums here - he's an Asus employee. Specify the place and date of purchase, and your serial number, and the problem you are experiencing. He might then be able to look into it to see if it's indeed a bad batch or something.

That's excellent advice anybody having this issue should do that. Asus needs to be made aware.

RMerlin, Jeremy is no longer with the company and that mailbox is no longer active. I suggest you correct your post before it starts getting 'quoted'.

Emails should go to Adam Wong at (cl-fred@asus.com and networking_support@asus.com).

Thanks!

RMerlin, Jeremy is no longer with the company and that mailbox is no longer active. I suggest you correct your post before it starts getting 'quoted'.

Emails should go to Adam Wong at (cl-fred@asus.com and networking_support@asus.com).

Thanks!

I thought Jeremy was only away on vacation. Someone will probably eventually take his place within the CL group I suppose.

I thought Jeremy was only away on vacation. Someone will probably eventually take his place within the CL group I suppose.

The email I have from another ASUS employee explicitly says he is no longer with the company and his inbox has been deactivated. I was asked to send email to other alternative addresses. But that's all I'm going by.

Adam Wong seems to have taken up his tasks.

Adam Wong seems to have taken up his tasks.

Probably only temporarily. Jeremy was part of the Customer Loyalty group, while Adam is a product manager.

I saw Asus was hiring more customer relationship folks a few weeks ago, so hopefully we will get a new representative on the forums :)

Hi All,

If you bought a new RT-N66U or RT-N66R and are experiencing loose LAN ports, please email us at Networking_support@asus.com with your serial number and place of purchase. We will assist you in getting working replacements for you.

Hi All,

If you bought a new RT-N66U or RT-N66R and are experiencing loose LAN ports, please email us at Networking_support@asus.com with your serial number and place of purchase. We will assist you in getting working replacements for you.

You guys aren't helping. Adam Wong asked me to send my half working unit FIRST before they send me a replacement. Right. I CANNOT BE WITHOUT INTERNET. I am stunned this is even being asked in this day and age. As if your customer hasn't been inconvenienced enough. You guys need to make a wrong right. Send me a WORKING *NEW* UNIT first with a FedEx sticker and I'll be glad to return be half working unit once I've confirmed the new one you sent works.

You guys aren't helping. Adam Wong asked me to send my half working unit FIRST before they send me a replacement. Right. I CANNOT BE WITHOUT INTERNET. I am stunned this is even being asked in this day and age. As if your customer hasn't been inconvenienced enough. You guys need to make a wrong right. Send me a WORKING *NEW* UNIT first with a FedEx sticker and I'll be glad to return be half working unit once I've confirmed the new one you sent works.

What you are asking for is generally known as an "Advance replacement". Companies offering advanced replacements will usually require a credit card number to ensure that if you don't send the defective unit back they can bill you for keeping both units.

I don't know however if Asus offers such a service - you will have to ask them. At work we mostly do these with Seagate and Western Digital when obtaining a warranty replacement for a defective HDD, so we can get the replacement faster.

Last edited:
What you are asking for is generally known as an "Advance replacement". Companies offering advanced replacements will usually require a credit card number to ensure that if you don't send the defective unit back they can bill you for keeping both units.

I don't know however if Asus offers such a service - you will have to ask them. At work we mostly do these with Seagate and Western Digital when obtaining a warranty replacement for a defective HDD, so we can get the replacement faster.

I'll be happy to provide my cc to them.

Any updates on this issue? I just bought an N66U about 2 weeks ago and just noticed the issue you described. I've tested /w multiple cables on multiple ports on the unit. I realize this isn't a $3k piece of Cisco equipment, but I've never had a quality wireless router do this before.

Any updates on this issue? I just bought an N66U about 2 weeks ago and just noticed the issue you described. I've tested /w multiple cables on multiple ports on the unit. I realize this isn't a $3k piece of Cisco equipment, but I've never had a quality wireless router do this before.

Yes, they seem to have acknowledged there is a problem and have agreed to send me a BRAND NEW device (not reman'd) that they have opened and tested. They said my unit(s) were manufactured May 2013. The new unit they are sending me (and supposedly tested to not have the problem) is manufactured August 2013. They have tested with different cables including the one included in the box. They have issued an RMA and an 'advanced placement' (IOW, they take my cc and send a device and I return the defective one). What I'm going to do is go to BestBuy return mine and get another one to extend the 15 return another 15 days and see if the 4th one also exhibits this before going through this rigmarole. I'm not confident the new one they'll send me will work.

I hope this helps.

Yes, they seem to have acknowledged there is a problem and have agreed to send me a BRAND NEW device (not reman'd) that they have opened and tested. They said my unit(s) were manufactured May 2013. The new unit they are sending me (and supposedly tested to not have the problem) is manufactured August 2013. They have tested with different cables including the one included in the box. They have issued an RMA and an 'advanced placement' (IOW, they take my cc and send a device and I return the defective one). What I'm going to do is go to BestBuy return mine and get another one to extend the 15 return another 15 days and see if the 4th one also exhibits this before going through this rigmarole. I'm not confident the new one they'll send me will work.

I hope this helps.

Good to know that Asus has finally acknowledged this issue. I'd expect the one they ship you will work just fine. They need to get the current inventory (from that manufacturing run) pulled from the shelves of retailers/distributors (help prevent risking reputation). Don't know how they do QC, but it's kind of amazing (to me, anyway) these even got shipped.

Hi All,

Again, if you have purchased a new RT-N66U or RT-N66R and have issues with your LAN ports being loose, please email us at Networking_support@asus.com with your serial number and place of purchase. We will assist you in getting a working replacement.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!