What's new

Loss of Ethernet with XT8

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

paul3000

Occasional Visitor
I am at wits end and I can't figure out the problem. This similar issue was occurring with a previous router I had (Orbi), just less frequently.

My router will just completely drop all ethernet connections. I have a fairly simple setup ASUS XT8, which connects to a 8port switch, then to the wired backhaul. Typical items via wired connection, a couple of PCs, PS4, Roku TV, PiHole, Phillips Hue Hub.

I was able this last time to connect to the network and pull the server log prior to doing a restart of my modem, router and Hue Hub.

Any help tracking down the problem would be appreciated, or what to look for in the log that would give insight into this problem. I have a sneaking suspicion that it is involved with the Hue Hub.

Attachments

• syslog 320.txt
    47.7 KB · Views: 33
I am at wits end and I can't figure out the problem. This similar issue was occurring with a previous router I had (Orbi), just less frequently.

My router will just completely drop all ethernet connections. I have a fairly simple setup ASUS XT8, which connects to a 8port switch, then to the wired backhaul. Typical items via wired connection, a couple of PCs, PS4, Roku TV, PiHole, Phillips Hue Hub.

I was able this last time to connect to the network and pull the server log prior to doing a restart of my modem, router and Hue Hub.

Any help tracking down the problem would be appreciated, or what to look for in the log that would give insight into this problem. I have a sneaking suspicion that it is involved with the Hue Hub.

Definitely looks like something crashes at the end. But to see why, you'll probably need more verbose logging or even a sniffer. IOT devices sometimes do a lot of MDNS stuff which some have had issues with, but there are plenty of other things that could be the culprit. If it has happened with two different brands of routers definitely seems like something is eventually overloading it.

The only other thing it makes me think of is an issue where when a certain PC NIC brand/model went to sleep it would create a spanning tree loop on the network and crash everything. So maybe see if it seems to be only when a certain PC goes to sleep?

So you’re saying that something is overloading the router?

Is it safe to assume it’s something that’s connected via Ethernet that’s doing it? It seems to be about a weekly thing. But oddly there was a period of time where it wasn’t happening. Oddly enough there was a few weeks that it was happening around 9-10am on Saturdays and this last time was just in the afternoon.

Definitely looks like something crashes at the end. But to see why, you'll probably need more verbose logging or even a sniffer. IOT devices sometimes do a lot of MDNS stuff which some have had issues with, but there are plenty of other things that could be the culprit. If it has happened with two different brands of routers definitely seems like something is eventually overloading it.

The only other thing it makes me think of is an issue where when a certain PC NIC brand/model went to sleep it would create a spanning tree loop on the network and crash everything. So maybe see if it seems to be only when a certain PC goes to sleep?
Posting a reply for archiving sake. Best I could figure is it may have been a couple of PCs that was causing a problem (or the Phillips Hue). I went to my kid’s computers and uninstalled all their HP bloatware off their computers. It seems like the last time my Ethernet went down it may have been related to one of those booting up/going to sleep. Network has been rock solid for a few weeks now since that. Appreciate the help, fingers crossed that was it.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!