What's new

Mac Filtering on Guest Nework

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Sun

Occasional Visitor
This wasn't a bug, its actually its a feature (or working as designed). No one wants MAC filtering on guest network because you give guest SSID to temporary/users for limited time. If you have 10 guests coming over you don't want to ask their MAC addresses and configure router while they wait....

376.48 Beta 1 (18-Oct-2014)
- FIXED: Mac Filtering wasn't working with Guest networks
(Asus bug) (Patch by saintdev)

Please reverse it otherwise this custom firmware will become unusable.

That is now an old firmware and also, you don't need to enable Mac Filtering for Guest networks.

This wasn't a bug, its actually its a feature (or working as designed).

I disagree. It was clearly a typo in the code, so Asus's original intent was for it to apply as well to Guest networks as regular networks:

https://github.com/RMerl/asuswrt-merlin/commit/b3d63ca24d2b1a908fe0ce6dcbac19e63259540b

Keep in mind that the filter works BOTH ways. I can see why someone might want to actually blacklist a client from connecting to his router regardless of the wireless interface used (be it regular or Guest). Without that fix, you wouldn't have any way to blacklist anyone from a guest network.

Ok, I understand that.

Is it possible to disable MAC filtering on Guest network only (on latest firmware)?
or will that be too much to ask.

That's not possible, not without code-level changes.

Okay here is the BUG in 48_1:

1) edit a guest network
2) set "Enable MAC Filter" to "No"
3) Apply
4) Its doesn't save and set back to "Yes"

I just tested it and it works correctly for me. I enabled a Guest network, went to the MAC filter page, enabled it. added a test client, then re-disabled it, and it was properly disabled.

Form me on my RT-N66U router, using 48_1 firmware:

when mac address filtering is enabled for Primary Wireless network, guest network "Enable MAC Filter" is set to Yes, I change it to No, its doesn't save/apply.

Last edited:
What O/S and / or browser do you use to access the gui?

I m having the same issue on my RT-N66U router with 48_1 firmware.

when mac address filtering is enabled for Primary Wireless network, guest network "Enable MAC Filter" is set to Yes, I change it to No, its doesn't save/apply.

Please help. Thanks in advance.

I'm having the same issue with my RT-AC66R - the guest network has MAC address filtering on and if I change it to off and save the change doesn't take.

The MAC address filtering is working - I use a whitelist and when I add a MAC address to the list it can use the guest network - but I only want filtering on the main network.

Thanks, I think there are now enough evidence that its a bug. Any plans to release a fix?

Thanks, I think there are now enough evidence that its a bug. Any plans to release a fix?

I can't fix it since I am unable to reproduce the problem.

Same problem here with version 376.48_1: When I try to set "Enable MAC Filter" to "No" on the guest network it's not saved and stays on "yes".
MAC filtering is enabled for the primary wireless network and should be disabled for the guest network.

Is there any way to change this parameter through a config file on the router? I really need to disable this to have a functional guest network. Otherwise, as mentioned in this thread, I need to add any guest to the MAC filter whitelist.

Thank you in advance!

Last edited:
You could try directly setting the nvram variables....

wl0.x_macmode for the 2.4GHz Guests, wl1.x_macmode for the 5GHz Guests, where x=1 thru 3.

For example, to disable mac filtering on the first 2.4GHz guest network...

Code:
nvram set wl0.1_macmode=disabled
nvram commit && reboot

You could try directly setting the nvram variables....

wl0.x_macmode for the 2.4GHz Guests, wl1.x_macmode for the 5GHz Guests, where x=1 thru 3.

For example, to disable mac filtering on the first 2.4GHz guest network...

Code:
nvram set wl0.1_macmode=disabled
nvram commit && reboot

I tried your suggestion, but it didn't do the trick... After the reboot, MAC filtering is set to "Yes".

The same problem. I use MAC filter as whitelist for known devices. So I have MAC filter set to "accept" mode. Obviously I don't need filtering in guest network as far as guests don't have access to my local resources. Password is enough. But when I trying to switch off MAC filter for guest network, it doesn't apply.