What's new

Major Issues w/RT-AC86U

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't see any acknowledgement anywhere from the maker of the issue. What indication is there that it is fixed or that the manufacturer even has the intent to do so?
You never will see an acknowledgement. Asus will have an acceptable level returns (e.g. failures). Only once the cost of replacing those units exceeds to cost of additional quality control, or more expensively, producing different hardware will anything be done. That's normal. They won't publish this information publicly because it's commercially confidential.

Ok. Thanks! In any case, I've made my decision. I will take the risk of getting the issue after my return period is up. The router itself (possibly getting the issue notwithstanding) is the best one that I can find in its price range. It's performance so far has been almost flawless. With the addition of the Merlin firmware, I can see nothing else that comes anywhere close. So the risk is worth it. I DO think that companies need to look beyond the replacement cost vs. fix analysis because of the loss of reputation cost. But ASUS is far from alone in the need to improve in that area.
To all who have participated in this thread, my apology if anyone took anything I said personally. It was never my intent. I've lurked this forum long before joining, and I appreciate the great contribution that each of you makes here.

I'm glad you acknowledge that. I find documented reports of the issue from Jan. 2018, shortly after it's release. I see a report yesterday from one just purchased. I don't see any acknowledgement anywhere from the maker of the issue. What indication is there that it is fixed or that the manufacturer even has the intent to do so?

None, hence the word 'trust'. Buy whatever router you trust to meet your needs. I certainly don't know ASUS's intent on anything.

How old are you? You seem awfully new to being a consumer and to the trials and tribulations of purchasing IT equipment.

OE

Ever since I had to return my Anker "4.7 out of 5 stars" BT headphones because they sounded like a slush-filled garbage can (and replaced with a Sennheiser 3.9 out of 5 stars which are the best-sound BT headphones I've ever listened to in my life)

Different target audience maybe. People going for Sennheiser expect top audio quality, and will be critical about very small details. People going for Anker would expect the cheapest they can find, and are probably valuing price above sound quality...

Another reason tho why end-user reviews are not very useful in choosing a product, unless you notice a very clear pattern there.

Does anyone know why fully 27% of the Amazon purchasers give this router 1 star? This is 132 purchasers talking about the 2.4 GHz radio failing in a short period of time or the router otherwise dying. This is WAY too many people to be a statistical anomaly. I bought this router recently, I'm running Merlin on it, and it is running flawlessly. But after seeing this, it makes me question my decision and consider a return. For this amount of money, I don't want a router that will "give up the ghost" in a few months.

I never go by Amazon reviews. My ASUS AC86U with Merlin firmware has been running flawless for over 12 days.

On my 86U the wifi started dropping clients after two weeks. The only way to get them back was to reset the router. I received a warranty replacement that has run great for 5 months until last week when Gig Port 1 died. It is a great router but I wouldn't recommend it.

It's a good thing I kept my old RT-N66U as a backup.

Does anyone know why fully 27% of the Amazon purchasers give this router 1 star? This is 132 purchasers talking about the 2.4 GHz radio failing in a short period of time or the router otherwise dying. This is WAY too many people to be a statistical anomaly. I bought this router recently, I'm running Merlin on it, and it is running flawlessly. But after seeing this, it makes me question my decision and consider a return. For this amount of money, I don't want a router that will "give up the ghost" in a few months.
I don't have the AC86U but instead have 3 AC3100's & a 4rth as a spare. One is a mesh router and 2 are mesh nodes. If my units are any indication of Asus' quality than the AC86U should have few, if any, issues.

I have two 4k Roku TV's, one 1080p Roku stick, a FireStick, an Xbox, 5 laptops, 4 smartphones and 7 "things" that connect to the Internet (no fridge phoning me for milk, bread & butter yet :D).

The skinny? Our mesh kicks butt. The 3 AC3100's handle anything we throw at them. I've stress-tested the Wi-Fi with every streaming device in the house operating simultaneously. No problem. I can stream 4k video over the 2.4 GHz band with no buffering or lags. Our mesh performs brilliantly.

As for my units I bought the first one at Best Buy for $275 (ouch). The other 3 were refurbs from NewEgg that I got for $130 each. I have cycled through all of them to make sure they all work as they did originally. I would say they are doing OK. :)

So if Asus could do so well with the AC88U/AC3100 (same thing just different # of LAN ports) than the AC86U should be outstanding. Also, Amazon reviews are garbage. I look at the combined % of 4 & 5 star reviews and then completely ignore them. ;)

Besides, if the AC86U was a lemon it would have been plastered all over this forum. You should be fine. It's a great router that won't bankrupt you.

Good luck!

I upgraded from a n66u and its light years ahead. Its been running on Merlin for over a month without any glitchhes... def a must buy :)

5 star - 54%
1 star - 27%
Yeah that is troubling.
33% of the 'reviews' are suspect but did not affect the rating.
https://reviewmeta.com/amazon/B0752FD3XJ

5 star - 54%
1 star - 27%
Yeah that is troubling.
33% of the 'reviews' are suspect but did not affect the rating.
https://reviewmeta.com/amazon/B0752FD3XJ

It's only troubling if you keep looking at those numbers from random websites and try to analyze to something it can't show. :rolleyes:

I have yet to see a failed unit in person and I have installed quite a few myself in the recent past. The issues may have been with early samples or other factors that review sites like the above just don't take into account. ;)

There appears to enough information to indicate that there can be a problem with the 2.4 GHz radio, but the frequency of failure is unclear as well as the cause. I wouldn't think it would be an issue with the radio itself. Its a common radio used on many devices. If I were to guess at the cause of failure, it would be poor thermal contact with the 2.4 GHz radio heat sink because a few people have mentioned higher temperatures and poor thermal contact with heat sinks on this device, not specifically with the 2.4 GHz radio though. I have three AC86Us of various age (1.5 yr, 1 yr, 5 mo), and all are functioning perfectly. I've contemplated reinstalling the heat sinks, but temperatures are good, so I've left them alone.

There appears to enough information to indicate that there can be a problem with the 2.4 GHz radio, but the frequency of failure is unclear as well as the cause. I wouldn't think it would be an issue with the radio itself. Its a common radio used on many devices. If I were to guess at the cause of failure, it would be poor thermal contact with the 2.4 GHz radio heat sink because a few people have mentioned higher temperatures and poor thermal contact with heat sinks on this device, not specifically with the 2.4 GHz radio though. I have three AC86Us of various age (1.5 yr, 1 yr, 5 mo), and all are functioning perfectly. I've contemplated reinstalling the heat sinks, but temperatures are good, so I've left them alone.
yes can confirm, had three 86U and they all didnt have this thermal problem I have seen on some 68U out of the box with gap between CPU-shield and heat sink.

Those are broad statements. What information are you referencing? I admit that I don't rabidly follow the AC86U but I can't recall any patterns of posts here or at Singapore Hardware Zone indicating issues with the 2.4 GHz band. Maylyn over at SHZ is great at finding issues with hardware and so are the forum members over there. If there were issues with the 2.4 GHz band it would be all over Maylyn's RT-AC86U thread.

Last edited:
My comments are based on my own observations. There are several threads where people have mentioned the 2.4 GHz band biting the dust and being unable to revive. However, there are several people on this forum with multiple AC86Us (including myself), all with the 2.4 GHz radio still working, so it doesn't appear to be a widespread issue.

I can report that I had decided to 'upgrade' from my 68U running Merlin (rock solid BTW) to an AC-86U running the same firmware version. All was well for two days, then the dreaded wireless drop outs which then progressed to many, many reboots. After a week of digging into this issue ( researching, modifying settings, resetting, restoring, reverting firmware to earlier versions, wash, repeat, then frustration) I have given up. I have had a dozen ASUS routers running Merlin over the years and I can clearly state that there is indeed something amiss with this router.
My RMA is in, but I am skeptical of the reliability.
As far as debugging, it was frustrating not to be able to zero in on a set of circumstances that trigger the Linux reboots. If you can reliably cause the problem then you have a chance. But this issue is elusive. The Loch Ness of Merlin if you will.
SO that is my experience, and it left me frustrated and less comfortable with trusting ASUS routers going forward.
Regards
Ed

I can report that I had decided to 'upgrade' from my 68U running Merlin (rock solid BTW) to an AC-86U running the same firmware version. All was well for two days, then the dreaded wireless drop outs which then progressed to many, many reboots. After a week of digging into this issue ( researching, modifying settings, resetting, restoring, reverting firmware to earlier versions, wash, repeat, then frustration) I have given up. I have had a dozen ASUS routers running Merlin over the years and I can clearly state that there is indeed something amiss with this router.
My RMA is in, but I am skeptical of the reliability.
As far as debugging, it was frustrating not to be able to zero in on a set of circumstances that trigger the Linux reboots. If you can reliably cause the problem then you have a chance. But this issue is elusive. The Loch Ness of Merlin if you will.
SO that is my experience, and it left me frustrated and less comfortable with trusting ASUS routers going forward.
Regards
Ed

What kind of restore did you do?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!