What's new

Major Issues w/RT-AC86U

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have not posted excuses nor blamed you for anything. I'm simply commenting from my experience with the equipment you are attempting to install.

OE
Basically, all new Asus routers on the HND platform? Because that's the units plagued by the same "deauth" issue I'm facing during recent firmware versions. Which brand do you recommend, then?

Basically, all new Asus routers on the HND platform? Because that's the units plagued by the same "deauth" issue I'm facing during recent firmware versions. Which brand do you recommend, then?

My experience is with the AC86U router in question.

I try to not tell people what to buy, especially when I don't know what they need. If you start your own topic and explain your need, someone here might be able to help.

OE

Last edited:
All the more reason that it should be working stably at this point in its lifecycle. But it is modern in the sense that it's a HND router, which is the same platform as the brand new AX routers, as opposed to the older ARM AC68U/AC66U B1 for example.

Your assumptions are all wrong. As you state, this is a 5-year-old device today. It was never a flagship product. It was simply the preferred product when bang for the buck was the goal.

An RT-AX68U easily outclasses it today. The hardware and firmware are not the only determining factors for a great router. The WiFi/RF design, the SDK level, the new certifications, and the learned experience from the past 5 years in WiFi environments and developments make the comparisons you're attempting effectively moot.

I'm also not suggesting what router to buy for your situation (with which I also agree isn't a good fit), but you need to take into account factors you are not even considering right now. Listen to the others, experience is worth more than gold.

Your assumptions are all wrong.
Which is why you ignored the first part of the argument, "All the more reason that it should be working stably at this point in its lifecycle"?
As you state, this is a 5-year-old device today.
Which is still being retailed. So my mistake in that instance would be trusting the Asus brand.

And by what measure is 5 years is "old"? The AC68U is almost twice its age, and is also still being retailed, although it's running on an actual older platform than the AC86U's HND platform. You cannot just compare it to the lifecycles of a different product category, like, say, smartphones.

Edit: btw it was released more like 4 years ago, in August 2017. Add to that a couple of weeks or months before it hit the stores.

It was never a flagship product. It was simply the preferred product when bang for the buck was the goal. An RT-AX68U easily outclasses it today.
It was one the top performer until the AX models came out, and one of the more expensive solutions on the mainstream router market, promising not barely stability, but market-leading performance. So don't give me any of that crap.

The hardware and firmware are not the only determining factors for a great router. The WiFi/RF design, the SDK level, the new certifications, and the learned experience from the past 5 years in WiFi environments and developments make the comparisons you're attempting effectively moot.
You're arguing my point. Evidently, Asus has not learned jack shirt for the past 5 years!

I'm also not suggesting what router to buy for your situation (with which I also agree isn't a good fit),
By what metric, as opposed to the point I'm arguing, and which your are responding to and seemingly trying to blow off with tendentious fanboy-excuses?

but you need to take into account factors you are not even considering right now. Listen to the others, experience is worth more than gold.
What are you even talking about? I have lots of "experience", now. But nobody warned me before I bought it.

If this router is so famously unreliable, why don't Merlin drop it from the supported routers and/or at least put out a big warning and sticky on the forum?

And by the way, you are not addressing the fact that these issues are affecting also the new AX routers. Look again at the links in the post we started debating the issue.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!