What's new

Major Issues w/RT-AC86U

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I’m pleased to say my 2017 AC86U is still going strong with very minimal downtime since it replaced my AC68U. It has been powered on for the majority of the time I’ve had it, with only the odd several minutes of being powered off if I’ve had to troubleshoot an ISP related issue, or we’ve had a rare power cut that took it offline. So, there are good examples out there.

My AC86U 5ghz radio failed at 11 months...foolishly I didn't think it worth contacting ASUS, then at 13 months my 2.4 ghz radio died...debating upgrading to the AX86/88 and rolling the dice again..

My AC86U 5ghz radio failed at 11 months...foolishly I didn't think it worth contacting ASUS, then at 13 months my 2.4 ghz radio died...debating upgrading to the AX86/88 and rolling the dice again..
Define "failed". Do you mean log-errors indicating instability on the 5ghz band with the same name as the 2.4ghz band, or a complete disappearance of the SSID you set for the 5ghz band only?

SSID initially was still broadcast but devices couldn't connect reliably, then the radio stopped booting up at all and no SSID was broadcast.

The first part sounds like AC86U firmware BS 101. After the radio stopped booting up you did a full WPS -reset?

Just did another WPS reset; In the merlin firmware status screen it wasn't showing a MAC address for the 5ghz radio, that IS back now, as is the SSID broadcast. But it still won't connect to devices.

Devices won't connect to it, you mean? Have you tried reconnecting manually from the devices?

What happens on the devices, what happens in the WebUI log?

Just did another WPS reset; In the merlin firmware status screen it wasn't showing a MAC address for the 5ghz radio, that IS back now, as is the SSID broadcast. But it still won't connect to devices.

If after a proper firmware reset and basic/minimal configuration from scratch, various wireless clients cannot connect simply and reliably like they should... then I would consider replacing the router.

OE

If after a proper firmware reset and basic/minimal configuration from scratch, various wireless clients cannot connect simply and reliably like they should... then I would consider replacing the router.

OE
After doing research into the issues I experience across 3 different AC86U routers here on the forum, I'm starting to think that the best advice seems to be to avoid all modern Asus routers altogether, especially the AC86U. Firmware on the HND platform is chronically half-baked and buggy, going way back; and it seems like Asus does not use (if they even have) a reliable set of QC environments to test these releases before publishing.

I'm starting to think that the best advice seems to be to avoid all modern Asus routers

You have a choice. There are other players on the market.

Asus routers work much better without all TrendMicro bloatware.

Asus is entirely focused on AiMesh - this is what sells more routers.

To be clear here, the RT-AC86U is not a modern router today.

Try an RT-AX68U or an RT-AX86U instead. Those are current, capable, and superior, overall.

You have a choice. There are other players on the market.
I didn't have knowledge, I already forked out for the routers.

To be clear here, the RT-AC86U is not a modern router today.

Try an RT-AX68U or an RT-AX86U instead. Those are current, capable, and superior, overall.
All the more reason that it should be working stably at this point in its lifecycle. But it is modern in the sense that it's a HND router, which is the same platform as the brand new AX routers, as opposed to the older ARM AC68U/AC66U B1 for example.

As you can see from some of the links in the thread I linked, similar problem seems to persist though out the whole HND platform, also the AX devices. In fact, some people tend to refer to AC86U as the "proven solution" in some threads in here, clearly based on presumption rather than experience, as you'll also find people going back years referring to it as unreliable and sometimes living a life on its own.

I'm not going to fork out even more money than I already have knowing that Asus cannot even get their s**t enough together on a consistent basis when releasing new firmware to a 5 year old flagship device without it constantly throwing all sorts of headaches that have real-life consequences for people who require a reliable, working internet connection.

After doing research into the issues I experience across 3 different AC86U routers here on the forum, I'm starting to think that the best advice seems to be to avoid all modern Asus routers altogether, especially the AC86U. Firmware on the HND platform is chronically half-baked and buggy, going way back; and it seems like Asus does not use (if they even have) a reliable set of QC environments to test these releases before publishing.

My lay advice would be to not use the AC86U (nor AiMesh) to provide WiFi to the tenants in your apartment complex. And if you want to explore your application here, you should start your own topic to discuss it with whoever might be able to assist.

OE

Last edited:
My lay advice would be to not use the AC86U (nor AiMesh) to provide WiFi to the tenants in your apartment complex. And if you want to explore your application here, you should start your own topic to discuss it with whoever might be able to assist.

OE
"My advice is don't buy Asus routers if you are experiencing problems with Asus routers after the fact".

Is that somehow supposed to help, or is it some kind of condescending message to people talking about the problems they are having with your favorite routers/employer to basically take a hike?

"My advice is don't buy Asus routers if you are experiencing problems with Asus routers after the fact". Is that somehow supposed to help.

From what little information about your application that you have provided (AC86U AiMesh for an apartment complex?), I don't think your existing network can be helped after the fact other than to start over. The AC86U can suffer premature hardware failure and AiMesh has been a work-in-progress since 2018, that no professional would install at scale in a commercial application, imo.

OE

From what little information about your application that you have provided (AC86U AiMesh for an apartment complex?), I don't think your existing network can be helped after the fact other than to start over. The AC86U suffers pre-mature hardware failure and AiMesh has been a work-in-progress since 2018, that no professional would install at scale in a commercial application, imo.

OE
1. That's not an excuse. In that case, Asus should have a) Stopped selling it, and b )Recalled the sold units. I've also seen you come with similar statements elsewhere on this forum, basically blaming users for not "doing their homework" to find out that Asus routers suck. And frankly, it's a rather pathetic cope, not to mention self-contradictory. So stop, or I think it's time for "part of the furniture" in here to change.

2. If you'd read my message thoroughly, you'd seen that I have tried several AC86U devices, and disconnecting AiMesh nodes etc. Symptoms worsen between several recent firmware versions, both Merlin and AsusWRT Official, but no one is truly stable.

1. That's not an excuse. In that case, Asus should have a) Stopped selling it, and b )Recalled the sold units. I've also seen you come with similar statements elsewhere on this forum, basically blaming users for not "doing their homework" to find out that Asus routers suck. And frankly, it's a rather pathetic cope, not to mention self-contradictory. So stop, or I think it's time for "part of the furniture" in here to change.

2. If you'd read my message thoroughly, you'd seen that I have tried several AC86U devices, and disconnecting AiMesh nodes etc. Symptoms worsen between several recent firmware versions, both Merlin and AsusWRT Official, but no one is truly stable.

I have not posted excuses nor blamed you for anything. I'm simply commenting from my experience with the equipment you are attempting to install.

OE

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!