What's new

Maybe time for a router upgrade?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

SOrry just seen this.

I have now moved back to the Edgerouter4 suing the Draytek in bridge mode.

Pinging my iphone from the edgerouter gives some reasonably high results for some reason!

192.168.0.41 47.0
192.168.0.41 24.6
192.168.0.41 104
192.168.0.41 81.5
192.168.0.41 59.0
192.168.0.41 36.8
192.168.0.41 14.3
192.168.0.41 94.1
192.168.0.41 70.6
192.168.0.41 49.0

However, there is every chance that i may not be doing this the right way as i used the tool in EdgeOS, so i am hoping Trip might be able to give me some ER configuration tips!

:D

Just trying to ping my iPhone7+ from my Windows 10 AC7260 card I get about 50ms of ping time. If I ping from my iPhone to my laptop it is less than 10ms of ping time. They are both on my wireless. The same thing happens if I use a wired Windows 10 PC.

Ok, been running the ER4 again for a few days.

One thing i have noticed is internal networking seems a little better, although this is measured from normal use, not had time to test properly yet.

I have set up DNSMASQ for DNS only, and i have my cache set at 250, and to me, it doesn't seem to perform as well as the Draytek without.

I have had a look through but cannot find a layman's explanation on the benefits of using dnsmasq.

Can anyone give a reasonably understandable view of it?

Do i have it set up correctly?

Do i really need to use it, bearing in mind the ER4 caches dns enquiries anyway? (i think?)

This is the guide i followed, but without DHCP option.

Last edited:
Ping test from router to wireless (i)phone always show high latencies. 50 to 100ms seems normal. These devices are not meant to be pinged. Better test the other way around: from your mobile device to router. Any high ping latency you encounter is due to wireless, not the router.

Ping test from router to wireless (i)phone always show high latencies. 50 to 100ms seems normal. These devices are not meant to be pinged. Better test the other way around: from your mobile device to router. Any high ping latency you encounter is due to wireless, not the router.

Ok great, thanks for the explanation!