What's new

Media network upgrade

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

constantG

New Around Here
Not really sure where to start but here goes.

Looking to upgrade an existing wired network that will be used by 15 to 20 clients. The majority of traffic will be video and I would like to future proof it as much as possible.

The current network is as follows:

QNAP TS 431 (16TB over 4 disks JBOD)
BT router with 1GBe
3 TPlink switches (cant remember the model but cost 20 - 30 quid)
various ad hoc ethernet cabling (cat 5/cat 6)
Various smart TV's but mostly Samsung ones

It is to be installed on a Naval vessel so WiFi will be disabled and the finished installation needs to be fool-proof and easy to administer when I leave.

My own thoughts on this:

1. Replace the NAS drive, ideally, 5 or more bays which will give me the capacity to move the data from the existing NAS and future proof for greater storage requirements.

2. Replace router and 3 switches with a managed 10Gbe switch.

3. Replace existing cabling with cat 7.

4. Use plex media server or something similar that will work with currently installed TV's.

So, what do you guys think?

Thanks in advance.

cG

how many simultaneous video streams. realistically ?
SD, HD, 4k ?

switch and server that support link aggregation 2-4 ports depending on number of simultaneous clients
A consumer NAS may not have enough bandwidth if there are a large number of simultaneous HD or 4k clients.

Realistically, there should be no more than 5 or 6 simultaneous streams but IDK what the future holds. 3 of those streams are to large screen TV's
Not too sure what "switch and server that support link aggregation 2-4 ports depending on number of simultaneous clients" means but I'm learning :)

If consumer NAS is not powerful enough, what are my alternatives?

link aggregation or LAG allows more clients to have access to the NAS/server simultaneously. It does not improve the speed for each, only the overall total.

How are the videos accessed today ? any particular software used or is is just using DLNA access and a folder of files ?

Have a look at PLEX media server software. It runs on most NAS or servers, including Synology NAS.

You might end up with several consumer NASs or one high end consumer or low end server. Synology , QNAP, and others make similar linux based boxes from low end consumer to commercial.

LAG - got it, thank you.

I have got plex working on the current NAS but because the network is not fully connected throughout and not all outstations (Smart TVs) have the Plex app, I cannot test to see what it is capable of. I don't want to spend money fixing the current network only to find out that it needs a total overhaul so I have been asked to cost an upgrade.

Compared to current NAS solutions, the TS 431 seems rather underpowered but the question is, does a NAS with 4 or 8 times more memory/CPU power necessarily give you 4 or 8 times the performance.

I should say too, that this network will not have a connection to the internet. Updating the Plex library will be done by removing the NAS and connecting at home.

more real cores and memory should help the most. Drives that are tuned for NAS and video may work best and be able to support 10 streams.

i would get all the TVs connected up and test what you have first. Then look for bottlenecks. 10 streams at 20 Mbit/sec should be no issue on Gb ethernet

This is what I had anticipated prior to the OP, so I think you've given me enough to go on for the time being. I'll let you know how I get on. Much appreciated, thanks.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!