What's new

Medialink N Router-150 or Asus N66U

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

BostonDan

Regular Contributor
Hi - I'm looking for some advice and recommendations for my inlaws.
They have been having tons of problems with maintaining their internet connection and phone service. Comcast came out and found the COAX wiring to the cable modem/VoIP adapter is bad and they are replacing most if not all of the COAX cabling. The cable was spliced around 15 times using many splitters. I won't know what the revised cabling looks like until the next time I visit.

As part of their work, they suggested that my inlaws upgrade their router (DIR-655) "because it is not fully compatible or supported with Comcast internet service and may be causing some of the problems." I can understand it not being supported, but not being compatible is a load of #@#$.

Anyways, my inlaws are now pushing to replace their router even though I don't think there is an issue with it and I'm looking to comply just to make them happy. One of the techs is recommending Medialink Wireless N routers for them to buy. Although they have great reviews on Amazon, something about them screams cheap to me. My gut is telling me to the get the Asus N66U router for them.

All wireless devices connecting to the router are N devices (iPad, Laptop, (2) Roku players, and other N laptops when relatives and friends visit.

I appreciate thoughts on the Medialink routers and recommendations?

Thanks in advance - BostonDan

As part of their work, they suggested that my inlaws upgrade their router (DIR-655) "because it is not fully compatible or supported with Comcast internet service and may be causing some of the problems." I can understand it not being supported, but not being compatible is a load of #@#$.

Baloney! It's not the fastest router out there but not being "compatible" demonstrates that the tech has little experience with networking and has some other hidden agenda.

Anyways, my inlaws are now pushing to replace their router even though I don't think there is an issue with it and I'm looking to comply just to make them happy. One of the techs is recommending Medialink Wireless N routers for them to buy. Although they have great reviews on Amazon, something about them screams cheap to me. My gut is telling me to the get the Asus N66U router for them.

Never heard of Medialink, but the N66U has fantastic 802.11n wireless speed and range. Expensive though, and as you indicated, perhaps unnecessary.

The DIR-655 was pretty high-end in its day - it's fairly old now. A newer 802.11n router will probably get you better coverage, speed and stability, but would be no better for "compatibility". :rolleyes:

Personally I would never go with D-Link, I've read too many negative reviews, but if it works for them...?

I appreciate thoughts on the Medialink routers and recommendations?

I'll leave that to someone that has experience with these but the site with the most comprehensive reviews and the easiest way to compare the results is this one. ;) Tim seems to never have reviewed a Medialink router so there's no point of reference. Take a look at the router charts and router ranker anyway though.

You might not have to go as high-end as the N66U either. With all the interest on 802.11ac the 802.11n routers are selling for less and some models may be being cleared out.

Fraoch - Thanks for responding. Agree, I'm having a tough time spending $150 to replace a router that is working fine, but I also don't want to go cheap with the Medialink and open myself up to support problems. I've had great luck with the Dlink DIR-655 and have two myself. I'm hoping Tim and others will chime in with thier thougths and recommendations. Thanks again - BostonDan

Hi BostonDan,

I am a Customer Support Rep for Mediabridge / Medialink Products.

We have thousands of customers using both of our routers (150N and 300N versions) with Comcast and although Medialink is not listed on the "Supported" or "Compatible" router list provided by Comcast, our routers are very compatible with their service. The 300N model would be best suited for your application.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00A3YN0Z0/?tag=snbforums-20

Our 150N model is very well received and has served us well for the past 3+ years holding the top rated and top selling spot on Amazon. The 300N is a vast improvement at around the same price point.

We are also working a Dual Band and eventually AC unit as well. Most people like yourself do not want to pay that premium but rather a modest price for something that works. Our 300N router fits the bill nicely.

If you do need support, we are available for free US-Based support via phone or email.

Thanks,
Medialink Customer Support
856-216-8222

Simplifying the cabling and removing all those splitters should have helped. Has it? No need to replace the router if it's not the problem.

Moving from an N600 class router to an N150 could be a step down in throughput depending on what devices they are using.

I haven't tested the Medialink but have seen the top sales rank. It's a mystery why an N150 class router would be rated so highly, other than its the first thing people see if they search "wireless router" on Amazon.

MediaBridgeProducts: PM me and let's arrange to test the product.