What's new

Medium size office with a WiFi Need..

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

jmdigital

New Around Here
Currently the entire office is wired and I like it that way. The issue I have is we have a Research department that requires there be Wi-Fi in the office. There are 2 sections that the Wi-Fi does not reach. Both rooms have a wired plug that's not being used. I figured the best thing to do is add a wireless access point in each room. I just have a few questions. The Wi-Fi router is an ASUS RT-N66U. Works great. I was going to buy these signal boosters, http://www.radiolabs.com/products/wireless/wifi-booster.php
but I would need 3 of them and I can get 2 routers cheaper and I think they would work better.

1. what equipment should I buy. I almost purchased 2 more of the Asus routers because they can be set as access points.
2. I want to use the same SSID to not confuse the research members.
3. I have a cat 5 run to each room ready to plug in whatever I need to extend the wireless.

I have never setup an access point before.

thank you for the help. I am going to keep reading this forum to learn all I can.

jmd

Strong advise: Hire a true expert. A data compromise, or even the hint of it in some professions (medical, finance)- can ruin a company.
Don't use Consumer grade solution stuff.
Indeed, I politely suggest this isn't the forum for SMB's concerned with business data access.

In SMB's, WiFi is first all about security.

avoid those addon signal boosters. I have tried them and they make networks that are hard to pick up even with a decent wifi antenna, nearly impossible to pick up.

Routers such as the RT-N66U already offer transmit powers in that range.

If anything I would say just add 2 routers, and check with the companies security policies.

some companies (eg hospitals) will have certain parts of the network that have no connection to the WAN to reduce the chances of information getting leaked.

as long as you can have the network comply with the security policies of the company then you should be fine.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!