What's new

Merlin F/W for Asus RT-AC66R

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

SBMongoos

Occasional Visitor
I have the RT-AC66R running ASUS f/w ver: 3.0.0.4.382_52287. I've forgotten all about alternative f/w for this router. What is recommended to try or simply upgrade the router at this point? The LAN seems fine but WiFi seems to vary at times. Might be the device I'm testing from (shouldn't be, ex: Samsung 21 Ultra - 6E compatible) or WiFi interference from being in a townhome. Just looking for the best f/w options.

Merlin dropped support for the RT-AC66R years ago. John's fork still supports it though. Changing the firmware won't change the WiFi performance as they use the same drivers.

I use John's fork because it allows me to do stuff that stock firmware doesn't. But if you're trying to fix WiFi problems changing the firmware is unlikely to make a significant difference. I suppose if the alternative is to buy a new router you've got nothing to loose (apart from time) by trying John's firmware.

I don't attach any drives to the router. I have a NAS attached via ethernet. What gains did you get from using John's Fork?

The two main things I use is 1) the ability to assign custom DNS names to DHCP clients, and 2) some basic network-wide ad-blocking.

Of course being an IT guy I can't help but "play" with some entirely frivolous things like network monitoring and data collection.;) But I also just prefer the old style interface compared to the current Asus one.

Cool. I get it. Similar back ground here. Doesn't really sound like there is as reason for me to move over to this F/W. I am interested in upgrading however. My S21 Ultra is 6E compatible and I will probably be able to get my Yoga C930 upgraded to this, hopefully. Be nice if Asus had a 6E version of the RT-AX86U. Looking at upgrading an old NAS I have as well.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!