Merlin Firmware anyway to encrypt FTP?

shooter40sw

Hi guys, I know FTP is plain text traffic, but is there any way to put some SSL or TLS encryption to the Asus FTP Server to add some security? I would like to have it exposed to the WAN but in a secure way. SFTP... Thanks

ColinTaylor

Part of the Furniture
If you search this forum someone else has already asked this question.

TeHashX

Very Senior Member
Hi guys, I know FTP is plain text traffic, but is there any way to put some SSL or TLS encryption to the Asus FTP Server to add some security? I would like to have it exposed to the WAN but in a secure way. SFTP... Thanks
Install SFTP Server
From optware:
Code:
ipkg install openssh-sftp-server
From entware:
Code:
opkg install openssh-sftp-server

RMerlin

Asuswrt-Merlin dev
TLS support will be possible with 376.49, however you will have to manually configure everything yourself.

RMerlin

Asuswrt-Merlin dev
I´ll Be patient then, will this manuall config will be by GUI or code? Thanks!

By manual, I mean you will have to do it all over SSH: generating the certificate, modifying the config file with a postconf script, etc...

jappish84

Regular Contributor
By manual, I mean you will have to do it all over SSH: generating the certificate, modifying the config file with a postconf script, etc...
I can't seem to find any HOW-TO/Documentation on how to set up FTP over TLS. Can some please point me in the right direction? Cheers

redhat27

Very Senior Member
If you are not hung up on FTP per se, scp/winscp should work out of the box. It is secure (as secure as your ssh connection). If you absolutely need sftp, you can install it like what is mentioned in post #3

EDIT: Dude! Just noticed this was a 2014 thread o_O. Let old threads RIP ;)

Last edited:

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!