What's new

Merlin Firmware anyway to encrypt FTP?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

shooter40sw

Hi guys, I know FTP is plain text traffic, but is there any way to put some SSL or TLS encryption to the Asus FTP Server to add some security? I would like to have it exposed to the WAN but in a secure way. SFTP... Thanks

Hi guys, I know FTP is plain text traffic, but is there any way to put some SSL or TLS encryption to the Asus FTP Server to add some security? I would like to have it exposed to the WAN but in a secure way. SFTP... Thanks
Install SFTP Server
From optware:
Code:
ipkg install openssh-sftp-server
From entware:
Code:
opkg install openssh-sftp-server

TLS support will be possible with 376.49, however you will have to manually configure everything yourself.

I´ll Be patient then, will this manuall config will be by GUI or code? Thanks!

By manual, I mean you will have to do it all over SSH: generating the certificate, modifying the config file with a postconf script, etc...

By manual, I mean you will have to do it all over SSH: generating the certificate, modifying the config file with a postconf script, etc...
I can't seem to find any HOW-TO/Documentation on how to set up FTP over TLS. Can some please point me in the right direction? Cheers

If you are not hung up on FTP per se, scp/winscp should work out of the box. It is secure (as secure as your ssh connection). If you absolutely need sftp, you can install it like what is mentioned in post #3

EDIT: Dude! Just noticed this was a 2014 thread o_O. Let old threads RIP ;)

Last edited: