What's new

Merlin + Gaming

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Xrsenal

I wish Merlin or someone could make a beta firmware to put 2.5 GB port first in the queue but without QoS?

so buffer all the other packets except that port.
So it’s QoS but not really QoS if that makes sense? Anyone know anytning that comes close to this?

Attachments

• CC43EB2C-D444-41B9-B9E5-137AC31B6F16.png
    CC43EB2C-D444-41B9-B9E5-137AC31B6F16.png
    169 KB · Views: 162
The person who is very tuned into using QoS for gaming performance is dlakelan over at openwrt.org forums. He has a special QoS script for gaming. Sell your fancy ASUS router and get an OpenWRT compatible device, even a Raspberry Pi 4B is good as an OpenWRT router (but not as a WiFi AP).

Have you gone mad David? are they finally coming for you?
Some gamers have expectations that won’t be met by Asus hardware or firmware. People rarely give useful responses to questions like these (including me). If OP bought a router for gaming and it doesn’t meet his extreme gaming needs, he should shop around.

In the end, no router will overcome a bad ISP or the speed of light.

In the end, no router will overcome a bad ISP or the speed of light.
This^

I find the ax86u exceptional for gaming. I literally get no ping spikes now, thanks to someone and their flex`, oh the 500dl cable helps no doubt as well.

The idea that using a 2.5 Gb port will sped up your gaming is a fantasy. 100 Mb should be enough except downloading updates. Any IP can be prioritized using Merlin Firmware and the Flex QOS add on. That will do what the OP requires

The idea that using a 2.5 Gb port will sped up your gaming is a fantasy. 100 Mb should be enough except downloading updates. Any IP can be prioritized using Merlin Firmware and the Flex QOS add on. That will do what the OP requires
I think the OP was looking less at 2.5Gb specifically and more could a port be allocated to bypass the majority of the routers functionality thus reducing latency (or at least increasing consistency of latency if you think about router things like CPU spikes) and guaranteeing it gets first dibs on any available upload bandwidth.

To be honest though, I'm not sure I see the value of it as for the latency improvement to work it needs to consider Rx as well as Tx. If you bypass the majority of router functionality on the way in (the diagram bypassed the F/W for example), you're increasing the risk to your gaming devices and by implication you local network.

I'm not a gamer myself but I'd say that as so often tends to be the case with gaming you'd be better with a generally higher H/W spec to provide excess capacity and let the router do its job. The more complicated you make something the bigger chance of it going wrong or some other unintended consequence - QoS on the rest of the network not working because it has no idea what the gaming device hardwired in to the preferred port is doing for example.

I think the OP was looking less at 2.5Gb specifically and more could a port be allocated to bypass the majority of the routers functionality thus reducing latency (or at least increasing consistency of latency if you think about router things like CPU spikes) and guaranteeing it gets first dibs on any available upload bandwidth.

To be honest though, I'm not sure I see the value of it as for the latency improvement to work it needs to consider Rx as well as Tx. If you bypass the majority of router functionality on the way in (the diagram bypassed the F/W for example), you're increasing the risk to your gaming devices and by implication you local network.

I'm not a gamer myself but I'd say that as so often tends to be the case with gaming you'd be better with a generally higher H/W spec to provide excess capacity and let the router do its job. The more complicated you make something the bigger chance of it going wrong or some other unintended consequence - QoS on the rest of the network not working because it has no idea what the gaming device hardwired in to the preferred port is doing for example.

I agree with your assessment and that's why I suggested giving the IP of the gaming device priority. Yes, gaming has a huge impact on a network and if not accounted for you simply change your problems. Cake QOS will work for many yet not all games. It is the first thing the OP should try as if it works for the OP's game, everything else will work well.

Morris

Understood. Thank you for the breakdown.

The person who is very tuned into using QoS for gaming performance is dlakelan over at openwrt.org forums. He has a special QoS script for gaming. Sell your fancy ASUS router and get an OpenWRT compatible device, even a Raspberry Pi 4B is good as an OpenWRT router (but not as a WiFi AP).
@dave14305 I'm curious if this script (from dlakelan) works similar to how the gaming rule for FlexQoS works or if something similar can be implemented or not possible with hardware limitations?

@dave14305 I'm curious if this script (from dlakelan) works similar to how the gaming rule for FlexQoS works or if something similar can be implemented or not possible with hardware limitations?
Gaming rule is simplistic compared to the other script. It’s methods are not portable to Merlin due to missing kernel modules for alternative qdiscs like netem.

If I have fiber (500/900) Verizon Fios, would it be useful? I have 17-24 total devices on my network.

also regarding dns,
Do I input dns in both wan and lan? Or just wan?