What's new

Merlin NAT Loopback Problem

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

tbrock47

Occasional Visitor
I had to switch back to Asus NAT Loopback. Was having internal forwarding issues with my IP cameras, and the second I switch back to Asus, the problem stopped.

If you search this forum, I think you'll see your findings are substantiated well documented.

Merlin's loopback works fine and stable on the version below the latest.

I really wanted to upgraded to the latest BUT the amount of people reporting wifi dropping out because of the drivers in the firmware and so on. If it's not broke don't fix it and hold back before you upgrade.

I had to switch back to Asus NAT Loopback. Was having internal forwarding issues with my IP cameras, and the second I switch back to Asus, the problem stopped.
Which router model?

I really wanted to upgraded to the latest BUT the amount of people reporting wifi dropping out because of the drivers in the firmware and so on. If it's not broke don't fix it and hold back before you upgrade.
And again: Which router model?

Without a router model it's just producing hot air when complaining... :rolleyes:

Factory reset and re-config mandatory as wireless/LAN drivers changed on Merlin's 380.57 firmware... :rolleyes:

Not sure if this is directly related to the NAT loopback issue, but worth trying it! ;)

Factory reset and re-config mandatory as wireless/LAN drivers changed on Merlin's 380.57 firmware... :rolleyes:

Not sure if this is directly related to the NAT loopback issue, but worth trying it! ;)

I usually do a full reset and reconfigured from scratch. This time was no different. AC68U.
Using DDNS, I forward a different port to 80 on my IP cameras. That way, I can access any camera using the same web address regardless of being on the local network or not. The second I switched back to ASUS, all the cameras came up correctly.

I havent had any of those wifi issues you speak of.

Have you tried enabling firewall logging and then checking syslog for any clues after attempting to access your cameras?

Interestingly the wireless driver version number between 378.55 and 380.57 is the same, but the date of it changed in 378.56.

https://sites.google.com/site/serialtips/

I can also confirm the NAT issue, I'm new to ASUS routers and newer to Merlin but had heard such rave reviews for a home router, I also come from a background of Network+ and CCNA certs, I felt like I was losing my mind as no NAT'ing would work, the logs would also show accepted packets so I dove in with Wireshark and found that the packet would never leave the LAN interfaces, I just happened to read this thread and switch to 'Asus' loopback and now all external NAT'ing and internal NAT'ing work fine.

RT-AC3100 with 380.57

Last edited:
AC68U, I too had to switch to ASUS to access my ipcamers when on the home network. cheers
According to you, I should experience NAT issues. I mean, if it is bug my 68u should show the issue, right?

Well, I have news for you: It is not a bug. I have 8 cams running flawlessly, no NAT issues whatsoever.

Something else in your setup is causing the issue.

According to you, I should experience NAT issues. I mean, if it is bug my 68u should show the issue, right?

Well, I have news for you: It is not a bug. I have 8 cams running flawlessly, no NAT issues whatsoever.

Something else in your setup is causing the issue.

It's definitely a bug, could be hardware specific. Regular NAT was forwarded in the iptables chain but never released on LAN interfaces, I verified this with wireshark.

Curious. Hardware poll.
My AC68U is hardware version A1 and does experience the NAT bug on the Merlin setting.

It's definitely a bug, could be hardware specific. Regular NAT was forwarded in the iptables chain but never released on LAN interfaces, I verified this with wireshark.
Keep telling someone who does not have any issues that it is a bug. Not really credible.
And don't forget to mention that Wireshark data does not prove the issue to be caused by a bug. It only confirms you have an issue, not the cause.

And it might be a coincidence, but all of these reports are made but new users. Long time visitors and testers have not observed this before....quite odd, wouldn't you think?

Last edited:

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!