What's new

Merlin on an AP

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

zackattack784

Regular Contributor
Is there any real advantage to running Merlin on an AP? I have an AX88U running latest Merlin and an AX58U running as an access point with the latest ASUS firmware. I never bothered installing Merlin on the AP mostly because I was lazy and didn't want to have to factory reset it and set it up again considering it was already stable.

I'll go through the hassle if there's any benefits to be had but was curious what others thought.

Thanks

Is there any real advantage to running Merlin on an AP? I have an AX88U running latest Merlin and an AX58U running as an access point with the latest ASUS firmware. I never bothered installing Merlin on the AP mostly because I was lazy and didn't want to have to factory reset it and set it up again considering it was already stable.

I'll go through the hassle if there's any benefits to be had but was curious what others thought.

Thanks
I find that with Merlin you get less bufferbloat with my experience with asuswrt the bufferbloat is so high.

Sent from my SM-A505W using Tapatalk

I had some down time working from home yesterday and decided to install Merlin on my AP. I installed, did a factory reset, and it’s running great. Thanks!

If at all possible, I always run Asuswrt-Merlin on my routers. A better question would be, why not run it?

A better question would be, why not run it?
To which the answer would be "Because it's not the official firmware". There has to actually be a reason to not use the official software (for any product). Maybe the official software has bugs, isn't being updated any more, or maybe it's lacking a feature, etc. In this case there is a reason. So the OP's original question of "Is there any real advantage to running Merlin on an AP?" is actually the better question.:D

Last edited:
To which the answer would be "Because it's not the official firmware". There has to actually be a reason to not use the official software (for any product). Maybe the official software has bugs, isn't being updated any more, or maybe it's lacking a feature, etc. In this case there is a reason. So the OP's original question of "Is there any real advantage to running Merlin on an AP?" is actually the better question.:D

Well, if we're being pedantic, then the true question would be, "Is there any advantage to running Merlin at all?"