What's new

Merlin RT-AX56U_386.2_4 bugs

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

n4mwd

New Around Here
This is my first experience with Merlin. I wanted to try it given the numerous people who swear by it. So far, I am more inclined to swear AT it.

I just got my Asus RT-AX56U from amazon and immediately installed merlin RT-AX56U_386.2_4. This version has some severe bugs and I was wondering if they are present in earlier versions.

Specifically, the router drops the Wifi 2.4ghz connection at random intervals usually a few minutes apart. The connection does not auto-reconnect and I have to manually hit "Repair Connection" to get it to work for another few minutes. Wired connections don't seem to have the problem. The firestick running 5ghz did not have a problem either.

Also, I am trying to get my asterisk server to work. It works fine when connected to the old router. Merlin is blocking the RTP ports. I opened the port range up with port forwarding (4000:4100) and it wont let them through. I even put the asterisk server in DMZ mode and it still wont let those ports through. Also, I disabled the merlin firewall. Nothing worked. The port forwarding of the sip ports worked fine.

I was forced to reinstall the old router or else have no phone service. Is the previous version stable or should I just go back to the factory asus firmware or DDWRT or something else?

Also having issues with the latest 2_4 not sure it's just not stable for me on my AX58 or AC3100. May have to revert back to stock.

should I just go back to the factory asus firmware

Test the original Asuswrt and see if it works for you. Nothing else is available for this router model.

Merlin is blocking the RTP ports.
I don't block anything, Asuswrt does, and you just have to enable it (and unlike on stock, my firmware does allow you to unblock them without also enabling the NAT helper):

1620066577053.png

Also having issues with the latest 2_4 not sure it's just not stable for me on my AX58 or AC3100. May have to revert back to stock.
Zero SDK or wifi driver change since the first 386.2 release.

I don't block anything, Asuswrt does, and you just have to enable it (and unlike on stock, my firmware does allow you to unblock them without also enabling the NAT helper):

View attachment 33590
Thanks, I will try that when I reconnect the asus router. I did see that page but only got as far as "VPN" and then went elsewhere.

What about the lost connection every few minutes? The laptop is about 50 feet from the router and reports a strong signal. I did not check to see if its coming back with a different IP. I did enable static IP for this laptop and the asterisk server.

View attachment 33590
I reinstalled the ASUS router to test your instructions.The 2.4ghz connection is so bad this time that I can't even access the Merlin homepage very well. Or even this website. I'm having to use my cell phone to reply. Oddly enough, those settings were already set to enabled when I was able to go back in. And suddenly the asterisk server was working. However the laptop keeps dropping the connection with this version of the firmware every few minutes and sometimes even sooner. I ran ipconfig in between lockouts and the only thing changing is the ipv6 address.

At first it wouldn't accept my username and password. But it eventually let me in.

I think this is a hardware issue. The 2.4ghz link was so unstable that I couldn't so anything with it at all. Using the "repair connection" no longer worked. I did notice that when it locked up like that, the laptop said it was still connected.

Looks like its headed for the trash heap. I actually bought this about 6 months ago and its been sitting on the floor unopened until today. So I doubt amazon will take it back. I will try asus warranty, but I doubt they will do anything about it.

Its definitely the last time I buy anything with the Asus name on it.

Its definitely the last time I buy anything with the Asus name on it.

It's not the norm. Generally Asus routers are one of the best for home routers. Maybe you just got a lemon.

It's not the norm. Generally Asus routers are one of the best for home routers. Maybe you just got a lemon.
The only asus router I ever had that worked was an RTN16. It lasted about a year. Then two new RTN66 routers were DOA. Then this one. So a working asus router is a freak of nature as far as I can see.

In this case, I reflashed the factory firmware and reset the unit to original parameters. It wouldn't let me log on. Apparently, it changed the login values to some default value. Nothing in the documentation as to what that is. Also, it doesn't seem to let you log in unless its connected to a modem so it can chat with asus.com. So there are major privacy issues with the original firmware. The default login page is router.asus.com. That says it all when it comes to privacy.

A number of people on this site have tried the new 386 code base firmware without the best luck. Before blaming the router I’d suggest trying Merlin’s rock solid 384.19 firmware. If it works, then disabling DNSSEC and using a trusted upstream DNS server will address the DNSpooq vulnerabilities for 384.19 and provide a stable Merlin firmware platform for you to try. If it doesn't work I'd load up the official ASUS firmware and return the router.

The default login page is router.asus.com. That says it all when it comes to privacy.

Your local router access web page. And mine too. Resolves to your router's IP address with no Internet connection required.

In this case, I reflashed the factory firmware and reset the unit to original parameters. It wouldn't let me log on.

When the router is reset, the first thing you see is the setup wizard, not the login screen. Read the user manual how to reset your router.

Mine did not allow me to log in with the modem unplugged. This was after I reloaded the factory firmware, not Merlin. I did not test that with Merlin which could be doing things differently.

I tried admin/admin, root/admin, admin/root and a bunch of others. No luck.

There is clearly some issue with the 2.4ghz wifi. I don't see how it could be anything other than hardware.

I've already lost a full day to that POS so I won't be spending much more on it.

I am currently using my backup router. Unfortunately, it cannot handle the speeds I need. I will need to buy a different router soon.

If you downgrade to an earlier firmware, you have to do a factory default reset after the downgrade. Newer firmware releases encrypt the password, so reverting back to a previous release will lock you out of your router.

Mine did not allow me to log in with the modem unplugged. This was after I reloaded the factory firmware, not Merlin. I did not test that with Merlin which could be doing things differently.

I tried admin/admin, root/admin, admin/root and a bunch of others. No luck.

There is clearly some issue with the 2.4ghz wifi. I don't see how it could be anything other than hardware.

I've already lost a full day to that POS so I won't be spending much more on it.

I am currently using my backup router. Unfortunately, it cannot handle the speeds I need. I will need to buy a different router soon.
http://www.snbforums.com/threads/merlin-rt-ax56u_386-2_4-bugs.72289/post-686312
or even better ...
https://www.asus.com/support/FAQ/1039074/

In my learning curve I have had to factory reset from time to time - and when done correctly the router has ALWAYS booted into the setup wizard. First thing I do is provide my own admin-name and password.

Merlin Firmware is NOT at fault here ... the router itself may well be - but highly likely to recover if reset correctly, flashed with latest Merlinware and immediately reset under the new firmware ... before being setup manually from scratch. Once all settings stabilized - future firmware upgrades seldom require a reset after upgrade.

Hope you succeed.

http://www.snbforums.com/threads/merlin-rt-ax56u_386-2_4-bugs.72289/post-686312
or even better ...
https://www.asus.com/support/FAQ/1039074/

In my learning curve I have had to factory reset from time to time - and when done correctly the router has ALWAYS booted into the setup wizard. First thing I do is provide my own admin-name and password.

Merlin Firmware is NOT at fault here ... the router itself may well be - but highly likely to recover if reset correctly, flashed with latest Merlinware and immediately reset under the new firmware ... before being setup manually from scratch. Once all settings stabilized - future firmware upgrades seldom require a reset after upgrade.

Hope you succeed.
Thanks, I think I see the difference. When I reloaded the factory firmware I told it to reset the configuration. I did not push the reset button. Maybe there is a difference there.

Overnight I ran my backup router which is a WRT54GL Running Tomato. Honestly, it doesn't get much better than Tomato in terms of ease of installation. Its truly Load and Go. Sadly, the max throughput is only about 14 Mbps and no 5GHz.

Today I tried to install DD-WRT on the previous router (Linksys WRT1200AC) that the Asus was supposed to replace. After working on it almost all day, it was a No-Go. I switched to OpenWrt and had it up in about an hour. Sadly, no Tomato for the WRT1200AC, but OpenWrt is not bad at all.

I still have the Asus so I may try to get it running at a later time. I'll need to buy some super glue first.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!