What's new

Mesh - Clients MAC address

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

isaacdvory

New Around Here
Hello everyone,

My question is in regards wifi mesh technoligy, like any of the Deco devices for Tp-link or google mesh, does it change the Mac address that the main router see for the users that connects to it?

I had an issue with wifi extender, that the MAC address of the wifi devices that connected to it was reported different to the router and it wasn't the actual connected device MAC address, I hope I'm explaining this correctly..

This caused me issues with application that I wrote that bases it's operation on the device MAC address and the extender kept changing it .

So how does the Mesh work ? will it do the same or will the main router for example that provides the DHCP will see the original MAC address of the client?

Thanks.

That is going to depend on the specific brand and maybe even model of the router with mesh capabilities you're asking about, but don't state.

If you're writing applications based on this tech, you need this tech installed and working to be able to properly test what you're coding, yes?

I'm writing my application base on the premise that each device on my network has a unique MAC address and that the routing process between switch/router/mash doesn't mess it up.
My question is about the mesh technology in general, not a specific device yet

Maybe to better explain, here is an extract from some site on how repeater works, and it explains why I don't get the Clients MAC:

"Most wireless repeaters work as a wireless client and an access pointsimultaneously. So the repeater creates a wireless network with the same SSID of the network that should be improved and the clients connect to it. Then therepeater itself connects as a wireless client to the original access point."

So I would like to know if Mesh does the same

Last edited:
I'm writing my application base on the premise that each device on my network has a unique MAC address and that the routing process between switch/router/mash doesn't mess it up.
My question is about the mesh technology in general, not a specific device yet

Maybe to better explain, here is an extract from some site on how repeater works, and it explains why I don't get the Clients MAC:

"Most wireless repeaters work as a wireless client and an access pointsimultaneously. So the repeater creates a wireless network with the same SSID of the network that should be improved and the clients connect to it. Then therepeater itself connects as a wireless client to the original access point."

So I would like to know if Mesh does the same

I can't answer your question(s) directly, but AiMesh is a closed source component of Asus routers, I'm sure there is no 'standard' involved, except to make it work (mostly). I think most other 'mesh' systems are proprietary too. There is no single answer that will work 'in general'.

Is your application using MAC addresses for security aspects? If so, you can stop right there, I think. As spoofing a MAC address is in easy reach of anyone that wants to do so. ;)

Yes, I had a wireless extender that modified MAC addresses in a way that the router didn't recognize the client on the extender. Caused anomalous things to happen with the router, like two MAC addresses for the same client. That extender didn't work well enough so I returned it.

I also have an eero mesh that I use in full routing and wireless mode, not as an AP. Client MAC addresses are untouched. I've also used it in AP mode, and MAC addresses again were what I expected. While I haven't used all mesh systems, just the eero, I would hope that these wouldn't be messing with MAC addresses the way that wireless extender did.

Have to echo that the idea of MAC address filtering for security is not one that's going to work well for you.

I can't answer your question(s) directly, but AiMesh is a closed source component of Asus routers, I'm sure there is no 'standard' involved, except to make it work (mostly). I think most other 'mesh' systems are proprietary too. There is no single answer that will work 'in general'.

Is your application using MAC addresses for security aspects? If so, you can stop right there, I think. As spoofing a MAC address is in easy reach of anyone that wants to do so. ;)

No, it's not for security reasons.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!