What's new

Mesh Mashup Redux - NETGEAR's Orbi Checks In

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Still gonna wait for Google Wifi and Amplifi to appear locally for a test run before I ever own another Netgear.

I think I fall in that narrowly focused market. For some reason I can't get wifi from downstairs to my bedroom upstairs with any wifi router downstairs. Unfortunately, I can't run wire for an AP or extender or whatever either. So my only choice is a unwired AP or extender in the hallway upstairs. Any ideas for this situation besides the Orbi? I own the Orbi right now, but if there is something better I can always return it.
If Orbi is doing what you need, be happy and stick with it.

Oh I know that but that bad taste in my mouth from Netgear is hard to get rid of.

Amplifi and Google WiFi will not be able to keep up with the Orbi system. I had an Amplifi HD and the Orbi trounced it in performance, especially for in network NAS access. Also, the Amplifi I received hesitated loading web pages when in router mode. It is likely something they will need to sort out in software. In AP mode the Amplifi HD performed better for me.

Amplifi and Google WiFi will not be able to keep up with the Orbi system. I had an Amplifi HD and the Orbi trounced it in performance, especially for in network NAS access. Also, the Amplifi I received hesitated loading web pages when in router mode. It is likely something they will need to sort out in software. In AP mode the Amplifi HD performed better for me.
All I can say is if Orbi ends up like some of their products (incl. support and promised features) count me out.

All I can say is if Orbi ends up like some of their products (incl. support and promised features) count me out.

but thats the thing here , the netgear orbi isnt claiming anything apart from being a whole home wifi solution which it already does

i see ppl complaining it doesnt have guest access or ethernet backhaul or many other features but if one cares to actually read the web site it promises none of this , expectations of what is crammed into BHR ( big honking routers) is part of their downfall

i do see the orbi as more an access point solution rather than a router and yes its expensive if its just an access point and sat but thats how it works best atm , the price will drop and might just make it worth utilizing in that function

pete

but thats the thing here , the netgear orbi isnt claiming anything apart from being a whole home wifi solution which it already does

i see ppl complaining it doesnt have guest access or ethernet backhaul or many other features but if one cares to actually read the web site it promises none of this , expectations of what is crammed into BHR ( big honking routers) is part of their downfall

i do see the orbi as more an access point solution rather than a router and yes its expensive if its just an access point and sat but thats how it works best atm , the price will drop and might just make it worth utilizing in that function

It does as advertised - provides good wireless coverage - it's easy to set up, and it does the basic router/gateway/firewall - not a bunch of knobs and levers to turn, and not a lot of features than many people, honestly, don't want, much less need... some folks just want good wireless coverage, and there, Orbi does that.

It's one of those plug it in, do the initial configuration, and leave it alone... it'll do it's job quietly...

If folks do need those other features - like VPN Client/Server, Guest Networks, Parental Controls, USB Drive Sharing, etc.. there are other products in Netgear's product lineup, and with other vendors as well...

Marketing has one of these neat little items call Net Promoter Score - NPS for short...

Some people are going to love the brand, some are going to hate, and most are in the middle - and people will have their reasons for being negative on the brand - it's seems that you have reasons to be negative, and that's ok - just don't over do it - and you're getting pretty close, and this is diluting your message. You had a bad experience with Netgear, and that happens, say your point (which you've done many times already) and move on - there are other vendors that would appreciate the opportunity to have your business.

I've been using the Orbi for the past 3 days and it's performance is amazing! I am getting around 125 Mbps down and 25 Mbps up in all areas of our house, even out to the backyard. That is the same speed I get on my computer which sits right next to my modem and Orbi, which is all the way at the front of the house. Everything seems snappier. I have been using the Asus RT-AC5300 and in most places other than halfway through the house I'd get in the 50's or 60's download, in the yard I'd get in the 30's and in our bedroom next to a glass door there is a location where I'd be lucky to get 10 Mbps. I'm getting 125 Mbps even at that location with the Orbi.

I wonder how the Netgear X10 would be regarding range. When you consider that I have to get a NAS with the Orbi (I've been using the Asus' USB port for storage) together it would cost about the same as the X10. But I doubt that any single router would provide the performance the Orbi does in my situation.

I will say, I absolutely cannot complain about the range/speed of this with the satellite. I am pretty happy with it. There is nothing I am let down about with the wifi on this thing.

I will say, I absolutely cannot complain about the range/speed of this with the satellite. I am pretty happy with it. There is nothing I am let down about with the wifi on this thing.

Well, I hope that you're going to be keeping it then, if it's serving your needs. And don't let the people here that bad mouth Netgear all the time convince you that you can do better with a "big honking router". I doubt very much that a "big honking router" is going to give you the kind of signal strength and throughput that you're seeing with this distributed product, all over your house. I have a really nice BHR at one end of my house where the cable comes in. While the signal is okay at the other end of my house, if I could afford an Orbi at the moment, I'd jump on it.

Enjoy!

pete
Why would I not want guest access? I have it now.

Marketing has one of these neat little items call Net Promoter Score - NPS for short...

Some people are going to love the brand, some are going to hate, and most are in the middle - and people will have their reasons for being negative on the brand - it's seems that you have reasons to be negative, and that's ok - just don't over do it - and you're getting pretty close, and this is diluting your message. You had a bad experience with Netgear, and that happens, say your point (which you've done many times already) and move on - there are other vendors that would appreciate the opportunity to have your business.
I agree, maybe not getting close to the line. But its been more than just one of their products where satisfaction was just not realized. I've had bad experiences with other vendors as well, but Netgear leads my parade.

Well, I hope that you're going to be keeping it then, if it's serving your needs. And don't let the people here that bad mouth Netgear all the time convince you that you can do better with a "big honking router". I doubt very much that a "big honking router" is going to give you the kind of signal strength and throughput that you're seeing with this distributed product, all over your house. I have a really nice BHR at one end of my house where the cable comes in. While the signal is okay at the other end of my house, if I could afford an Orbi at the moment, I'd jump on it.

Enjoy!
Let me clarify here..... I am not trying to downplay any opinions of others for Netgear or any other brand. If a product works for you then that's the bottom line. I am just expressing MY opinion on past experiences. I ALWAYS encourage others to experience things and not let others discourage them. Sorry, just needed to clear the air.

Why would I not want guest access? I have it now.

i believe guest access is coming , but its a added feature as it is on all routers , expectation of what are standard features and what are added features is the question and what each manufacture deems as standard feature set for each product , im no fan of guest access just for the sake of it the same as im no fan of wps

well if you figure this correctly what you get is

1 x 1200 ac wireless router

connected by ethernet to

1 x point to point wifi bridge 5 gig 1733 M kit ( this is its dedicated backhaul )

connected by ethernet to

1 x 1200 ac wireless access point

the point to point kit alone would set you back a few hundred

thats why the orbi is different and is the point of difference to all these other mesh system and why it is different to just a router and extender

pete

netgear_orbi_architecture2.jpg

Hey guys new to the site, love all the reviews... Was looking at quite a few things, but this Orbi set really looks interesting...

My main question, I wanted some serious performance for my wired infrastructure for my new place which will have fiber to the home 1000mbps down stream, and the Ubiquiti ERPro-8 EdgeMAX EdgeRouter Pro is literally screaming at me to buy it...

I was just wondering if the dhcp could be disabled on the orbi and be handled by the edge router. Or am I being crazy and I should be looking at the rest of ubiquiti's kit for my wifi needs?

I was just wondering if the dhcp could be disabled on the orbi and be handled by the edge router. Or am I being crazy and I should be looking at the rest of ubiquiti's kit for my wifi needs?

Well - the WiFi seems to be ok, but I agree is the unspoken question here - what is the config needed if Orbi is just WiFi?

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!