What's new

Mesh system stopped working and now won't add previous mesh node

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

jorgsmash

I have two routers, the AX88U, and the AX58U. I have the 88U as the main router, and have been using the 58U as a mesh node in my office and it has been working for months. Over the weekend, the mesh node disconnected while I was on vacation (I updated the 58U maybe a month ago. Both are on latest firmware). I get back home and log into the 88U and go to the AiMesh page. I search for AiMesh nodes and it finds the 58U. I try and add that as a mesh node and it fails. I factory reset the thing about 3 times by holding the reset button for around 60 seconds. I moved the 58U within 3 meters of the 88U. I downloaded the latest Merlin firmware for the 58U and flashed the latest firmware (again, was already on latest). I reset the 58U once more after flashing the firmware. The 58U still will not join my network as a mesh node, even though it has been working for months.

The only thing I haven't done is reset my 88U, which I really don't want to do.

When I try and add the 58U as a mesh node, it fails every time around the 35% mark, and displays this message:

1633492018960.png

Try adding it with a wired connection. Let it fully set itself up (15 minutes or so), then move it where you want it.

Try changing the WiFi channels... maybe a new device somewhere is polluting the airwaves.

Maybe the node hardware has failed.

OE

Make sure WPS is enabled on your 88U.
With AI Mesh 1.0 it would turn it on for you, with AI Mesh 2.0 it does not and fails when trying to add.
Don’t forget to turn it off afterwards.

As L&LD said.

Sounds like the issue with the RT-AC68u, there is more detail in this post and thread.

Once you connect the cable to the Nodes WAN you need to wait until the connection icon changes from Wireless to Ethernet.

Please specifically report each devices firmware level. 6 months from now no one will no what "latest" is.

Make sure WPS is enabled on your 88U.
With AI Mesh 1.0 it would turn it on for you, with AI Mesh 2.0 it does not and fails when trying to add.
Don’t forget to turn it off afterwards.
So in the WPS settings, I turned it off and back on and it said it was 'idle.' I then tried to join the mesh node and it failed and the WPS settings says it timed out. Here's the WPS page after it failed.

1633527206695.png

Try adding it with a wired connection. Let it fully set itself up (15 minutes or so), then move it where you want it.
And when I connect the 58U via Ethernet cable, it screws up the admin page for the 88U and I can't access it. I will keep trying this. Do I want to connect a LAN port from the 88U to the WAN port on the 58U or a Lan port on the 58U?

I think this worked. I connected 88U LAN port to 58U WAN port and it succeeded. You're saying to wait about 15 minutes then I can disconnect the cable and move the router?

1633527993026.png

Yes, click finished. Then let the node fully settle down (it is configuring itself, it may even reboot on its own during this time).

Afterward, locate it as needed.

Yes, click finished. Then let the node fully settle down (it is configuring itself, it may even reboot on its own during this time).

Afterward, locate it as needed.
I think the issue has been fixed! I do believe this happened to me once in the past, although not this hard to fix. The AIMesh node just stopped working and I had to rejoin it. Loaded Question: What might be causing this? I know every setup is different with different add-on software and scripts, but what might be kicking the node off and then having to troubleshoot to reconnect?

Thanks for the help everyone!

The only possible explanation to me is AiMesh itself. Still, a work in progress, even though the original AiMess woes are far behind us today. :)

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!