What's new

MetaGeek Moves To Pay Model For New inSSIDer

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Merlin - not cool... you might offer your code for free, but consider that others have to eat... and pay bills...

sfx

What are you talking about? The link I provided was to a free, legal version. Unless what you are saying is that they are now charging 20$ for the exact same thing that was free a week ago, with no advance warning?

Tough crowd. $20 is really gonna break the bank, eh? I agree it is a tad high. But they can always lower the price...tougher to raise it.

Beyond the price itself, one irritating factor is the fact that this price is for virtually no feature addition over what was free only a week ago. Now, if they would have taken the time to actually add new useful features to the software BEFORE going commercial, people would have been mostly fine with it. But right now it's more or less the same functionality as the sub-5$ software you can find on Android/iOS.

I liked v2 the best. I don't like the small graphs/cluttered nature of v3/v4. I probably would have bought v4 if it was $10 or less and had graphs similar to v2.

I saved the v2 download in my downloads folder and uploaded it to my online backup so I could use it later.

that is what bothered me the most about version 3+ the insane amount of clutter without really adding much more information.

At most, I would like them to take the list version 3+ and keep everything else from version 2

http://i.imgur.com/qlv6fJK.jpg

They need to add at least some noise monitoring features. Wifi radios are able to detect non wifi noise, for example, if you run tomato on a router with a modern wifi radio, it can report wifi interference, and it will go to severe when you turn on a microwave, even if no wifi clients are connected. While it may not be as good as their overpriced wi-spy dongle, it should offer enough info to see which channels are the best to use regardless of the number of networks.

Last edited:
For inSSIDer, the lack of channel utilization capability aside...
Does it do more than freeware for Android phones/tables such as "WiFi Analyzer"

http://a.farproc.com

download from android/google play store

Thing is when I tell people to use InSSIDer to troubleshoot thier networks they will refuse to use it becuase they won't want to pay 20 dollars to do so! That will make our jobs harder as support techs! I also have to edit my support scripts as well and that sucks. :(

I also preferred the 2.x interface as well. less cluttered and doesn't start to the "learn" screen. It's down to biz and looks nicer. Too bad all it needed was 802.11ac support.

At least those going for the 2.x interface that's easily hosted can pick up Amped's version of it and not worry about it being taken down....

Last edited:
I envy your 2.4 GHz. Mine looks like a disaster compared to yours lol.

Mine gets worst if I run the scan on a PC not in the basement.

upstairs, I get around 150 wifi networks :) (currently testing some 3rd party firmware and tracking down a couple performance issues, and it does not work well upstairs due to the congestion)

Hoping to eventually get a fast and stable tomato firmware so that I can enjoy having an openvpn server on the router without giving up wifi performance.

In NY here, in an urban area with some apartment buildings near by, and there are tons of wifi networks since pretty much every ISP is now giving free wifi routers.

The 5GHz is pretty clean though with the only other 5GHz network other than my own, being ones owned by time warner cable even though it is a good distance away, I can still pick up a signal from it.

These router companies need to use the same antennas and transmitters from their enterprise level routers.

Last edited:
Beyond the price itself, one irritating factor is the fact that this price is for virtually no feature addition over what was free only a week ago. Now, if they would have taken the time to actually add new useful features to the software BEFORE going commercial, people would have been mostly fine with it. But right now it's more or less the same functionality as the sub-5$ software you can find on Android/iOS.

I assumed that a major version upgrade coupled with charging for new version of the software would mean some major additional functionality so I went ahead and bought inSSIDer 4. Worse, it seems that functionality has been reduced.

Playing with it for a short while, I don't see any benefits for myself. Unless you need 11ac support, I would recommend using inSSIDer 3 untill benefits has been clarified.

Tim,

Thanks for the update. Still bugs me when a 'free' trial needs email address though.

3 Days? Lol... It takes me that long to drive to some of my customers and back.

They should do what Nuts About Nets does with Netsurveyor Pro: 10 uses> open the program 10 times for free. To me that's better.

remixedcat, even that may be limiting if you need to reboot a system for whatever reason.

But yeah; it does offer the possibility of extending the 'trial' for a very, very long time with sleep or hibernation between sites.

To Metageek's defence, the goal of a trial is to let you try out the program to determine if it suits your needs, not to be used as a free version. 3 days might be short, but it's enough to determine if the program is worth your 20 bucks or not.

RMerlin, you're right, of course.

Just still in disbelief that it costs $20 with almost no difference from what we had a few days ago.

Maybe (hopefully) this will change as they get 'serious' about developing it.

Time will tell.

Thing is though in 3 days you might forget about it or not have time to use it much.

Still sucks for us support techs. We have to tell them it's only for 3 days and they still will direct anger towards us :(

Some of these devs don't know what it's like to have angry birds attack you for suggesting any software that will cost them extra. Us support techs deal with angrier direct customers then Metageek would. I've had people cuss me out and threaten me and treat me like I killed their mothers over simple things.

Last edited:
Thing is though in 3 days you might forget about it or not have time to use it much.

Still sucks for us support techs. We have to tell them it's only for 3 days and they still will direct anger towards us :(

Some of these devs don't know what it's like to have angry birds attack you for suggesting any software that will cost them extra. Us support techs deal with angrier direct customers then Metageek would. I've had people cuss me out and threaten me and treat me like I killed their mothers over simple things.

concur. if it were only for myself, i'd not mind paying for this type of software. but if you are tech support helping a customer over the phone, etc., Inssider wont be much of a tool anymore

[edit1] inssider 3 (b/g/n) is still available for download on their official site; http://files.metageek.net/downloads/archives/inSSIDer-installer-3.0.7.48.msi

haven't needed it in a long time, but i snagged a copy just in case. i typically use 'wifi analyzer' for android

more stuff here: http://www.metageek.net/support/metageek-software-archives/ [/edit1]

[edit2/] guess the other stuff is already trial, sorry.

Last edited:
C'mon guys. A trial is a trial, not a free pass. If 3 days isn't enough, use the Amped version, or any of the free older versions that MetaGeek is still leaving out there. They are not removing or time-bombing any of them.

Grab a copy so you can send them yourself to your customers for troubleshooting.

C'mon guys. A trial is a trial, not a free pass. If 3 days isn't enough, use the Amped version, or any of the free older versions that MetaGeek is still leaving out there. They are not removing or time-bombing any of them.

Grab a copy so you can send them yourself to your customers for troubleshooting.

that's cool to know. i think it would be great if paying customers could do something like generate 1 day keys for other people. that way they don't get stuck in a situation like using it on a friday and coming back to work on monday and it's gone

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!