What's new

Migration from RT-N66U to AC-87U?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

lostindark

Regular Contributor
Hi,

i'm using RT-N66U threee years ago, now i've decide to jump to AC-87U.

Is there a chance to migrate settings and all from one device to another?

I'm curious as well going from a ac66u to ac88u. It's probably in our best interest to start from scratch but it's bound to happen I forget to forward a port and I spend 3 hours trying to trouble shoot.

I plan on taking pics of the settings pages to make it easier to set up again

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Thanks , Yes, i know that running from scratch is best scenario but i try to find the easy way :)
But few times during upgrade of rt-n66u i've made screen shots of the setup and after that i've try to recover all settings - i think this is the best way. Only problem is if you have alot of fixed dhcp clients and you have to enter all macs at the table , this is a lot of work, but i think there was a solution to export and import this list but i cant remeber where is this subject.

But few times during upgrade of rt-n66u i've made screen shots of the setup and after that i've try to recover all settings - i think this is the best way. Only problem is if you have alot of fixed dhcp clients and you have to enter all macs at the table , this is a lot of work, but i think there was a solution to export and import this list but i cant remeber where is this subject.
Why not plug a thumb drive into the router and use John's NVRAM save/restore utility?

There's a script here
https://github.com/RMerl/asuswrt-merlin/wiki/Sort-DHCP-Reservations-by-IP
which extracts only the reserved IP addresses, sorts them and reloads.
This could be used to extract the IP addresses from your old router and reload them into the new one.

John's NVRAM save/restore utility is a great tool and can save a lot of work in the right circumstances. However, I am not sure if it would be appropriate to use it to transfer variables from one type of router (N66U) to another much later model (AC87U). Perhaps someone who knows more could comment ?

There's a script here
This could be used to extract the IP addresses from your old router and reload them into the new one.

John's NVRAM save/restore utility is a great tool and can save a lot of work in the right circumstances. However, I am not sure if it would be appropriate to use it to transfer variables from one type of router (N66U) to another much later model (AC87U). Perhaps someone who knows more could comment ?

At the very least the save / restore utility by John would give you a text output of all your settings.

I would not run a router with a 'restore' from a different model though, even if it seems stable initially.

I will agree with what everyone here is saying. I went from the n66u to an ac87r and it was the worst move ever. The ac87r was just not stable at all no matter what I tried. I got lucky though and it was only last month that I decided to take a gamble on ac87r since my dad had one and it was working great for him. Well I didn't have such good luck, but Best Buy came out with the ac3100 within my return policy so I returned the ac87r and picked up the ac3100 (same as ac88u but with 4 lan ports instead of 8 and no red on the antenna) and it has been amazing.

There's a script here

There's a migration mode in the tool for transferring the settings between routers that quite a few have used successfully...by default it only saves user settings from the gui and migration mode leaves out any settings which may be 'questionable'. Worst case you can factory reset if things don't work and you have a text file of all your settings.