What's new

Mikrotik users feedback welcomed, planning first config.

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

EngChi

Regular Contributor
Future user of Hex R3 (RB750Gr3) set to arrive some time next week, planning my first config. Would you take a look at below and let me know if this looks right or any corrections needs.
Role : router connecting home network and IPS. No DHCP. desired address 10.1.1.100.
DHCP is handled by Windows DC (10.1.1.10) for the windows 2012 domain I run at home. DC would use new router as gateway out.
ISP - Comcast
Mikrotik is replacing pfsense hardware that died (pfsense had the same address 10.1.1.100)
Everything is cat5e other than mobile devices which would use Asus N-56 (10.1.1.12) in IP mode.
Physically RB would have two cables connecting to it, one from cable modem (ISP in) and one out to dumb switch.
What should I be looking at right away?
Configure passport for admin
Configure RB address as 10.1.1.100 as default IP (LAN)
Disable DHCP
Configure NAT
Set up Routes
set up DNS

Anything else I am missing or not thinking about? I am using these for initial guidance
http://wiki.mikrotik.com/wiki/Manual:Initial_Configuration
http://wiki.mikrotik.com/wiki/Manual:Default_Configurations

also, separately, I seem to have major problem with DNS on my network - resolution is very slow and fails often. I wonder if it is in how I configured Asus N 56 vs Windows Server and would welcome any pointers.
Windows server currently set to point to itself for DNS and use Asus as its 'router'. I also added "DNS server" settings on Windows Server (google ones) and wonder if my network is confused whom to trust.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!