What's new

minor Network map reporting issue

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

05dyna

Occasional Visitor
I have the RT-AC86U running Merlin’s 384.5 FW. Got the router about 2 months ago and started fresh with Merlin's 384.4. Anyway all is good but just noticed an issue with static vs dhcp status in the Network map. I have a most devices doing dhcp while only a handful are doing static and manual assigned.

The issue is with my voip adapter. Originally I had it under Manually Assigned IP and it seem to hold the dhcp address but noticed yesterday in the Network map it obtained a new address. So I removed it from there and logged into the voip adapter and assigned it a new static IP out of the dhcp scope which the voip adapter holding and now reporting. The problem (or concern) is Merlin FW Network map still has it reporting as a dhcp client. So not sure why if it is static why it is reporting as a dchp client. I have two other clients with static IP’s reporting correctly and another two that are in the dhcp scope reporting as Manual which is also correct so not sure why the voip adapter is reporting as a dhcp client? thanks in advance

Merlin has stated many times that the network map is closed source code from Asus. Report the problem to Asus.

Probably because the lease has not expired yet? Have you tried rebooting the router?

Well Colin I’m new to Asus and Merlin FW so I must have missed the all those numerous replies. That said, DONE. Ticket opened so we’ll see how it goes….

@ kfp I was looking to avoid rebooting and was hoping to resolve it with just an IP change. I explored the VoIP further and it does allow the mac to be spoofed so later on when it’s not in use I’m going to disconnect it and change the IP once more and spoof the mac to see if that works. I have 16- 18 devices reporting and only the VoIP is not playing nice with the map so it could be something with the lease as you say..

thanks for the replies back.

I ended up taking your first suggestion and doing the reboot which corrected the mistaken Network Map entry. I didn’t want to reboot because I like to extend the uptime, I was up just over 31 days prior to rebooting which the last upgrade. The RAM usage prior to the reboot was well over 75% and now its hovering around 52% so maybe something else was going on. All is good again, thanks for the reply back.

Reactions: kfp
I ended up taking your first suggestion and doing the reboot which corrected the mistaken Network Map entry. I didn’t want to reboot because I like to extend the uptime, I was up just over 31 days prior to rebooting which the last upgrade. The RAM usage prior to the reboot was well over 75% and now its hovering around 52% so maybe something else was going on. All is good again, thanks for the reply back.

Asus software leaks memory that’s why :p