What's new

Mixing AC and N wireless

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Mario64

Regular Contributor
I'm considering adding a AC68 then using my N66u as an AP to extend range. Will there be any issues with the 5ghz network supporting AC via one device and only N on the other? Will AC clients handle the switch easily?

Is it safe to say that my note 4 with an AC chip is not working at its best simply because there are a number of N devices also at use in my home? I thought this was only true for G devices and below,and doesn't affect N and AC

Sent from my SM-N910C using Tapatalk

Is it safe to say that my note 4 with an AC chip is not working at its best simply because there are a number of N devices also at use in my home? I thought this was only true for G devices and below,and doesn't affect N and AC
N and AC devices actually share bandwidth better than G and N do.

But slower devices limit available bandwidth when used simultaneously with faster ones. AC 3200 class routers are designed to address this, but for 5 GHz operation only.

I would agree - in 5GHz space, the A/N/AC migration has gone much better than the mess in 2.4Ghz...

sfx

I would agree - in 5GHz space, the A/N/AC migration has gone much better than the mess in 2.4Ghz...

sfx

Thats because 2.4 GHZ is a mess in most environments. 5 GHZ is the way to go for the future. When that band becomes a mess who knows what wifi will come to. :eek:

Thats because 2.4 GHZ is a mess in most environments. 5 GHZ is the way to go for the future. When that band becomes a mess who knows what wifi will come to. :eek:

No doubt - 2.4GHz also has a lot of legacy compatibility items that go back to 802.11b (and earlier) that 802.11a didn't have to support.