What's new

MOCA: Do I need 4 boxes or will 3 work?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Runeknight95

New Around Here
I have a weird butt house that was a 1900 with a 2005 add on, so coaxial is my only option and its already bought anyway. My wireless will not reach the addition to the house.
using : http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00B89EU1W/?tag=snbforums-20

My question is : Can 2 mocas adapters connect to the 1 main moca adapter through a splitter near the cable modem? as pictured below.
Or will I need to buy a 4th moca box to make this work? (im also assuming if both are in use it would be better to get that 4th box anyway since 10 megabytes per second can be bad) (splitter is a 2ghz)

I only tried trouble shooting for 15 minutes but I couldn't get both to work at the same time

How would you connect the fourth MoCA adapter?

How long are the cable runs and what type of cable? RG-6 or RG-59?

The modem has multiple ethernet ports so those 2 cables after the splitter would just be in their own moca

Cant answer either questions for sure but 1 cable is 50 the other id guess at 200. I got them to work individually but need to test more if they can work at the same time
But like i said if both are on at the same unit it may be slower

Last edited:
The modem has multiple ethernet ports so those 2 cables after the splitter would just be in their own mova

Cant answe either questions for sure but 1 cable is 50 the other id guess at 200. I got them to work individually but need to test more if they can work at the same time
But like i said if bother are on at the same time it may be slower

Yes two or more MoCA adapters can connect to one MoCA modem. I'm a little confused on a couple things, guessing you are typing from a phone.

- Your splitter doesn't dictate the speed, the frequency rating of any splitter using digital cable or satellite should be 0-2000Mhz if I'm not mistaken. A regular 2-way splitter will give you -3.5dB of loss on each output, then you'll also have some loss for every foot of cable (and 200ft of coax is a pretty huge run, and every termination & coupler on a run also introduces some loss (and obviously downstream splitters as well would introduce more loss)

- check out the config manual for your adapters here for more setup info (try resetting, then do the far one, then the shorter one) ftp://downloads.netgear.com/files/MCA1001_UM_19Dec08.pdf

- those MoCA adapters are about 5yrs old, 1st gen MoCA. In my personal experience I've achieved steady 15-25Mb/s on similar vintage ActionTec MoCAs of runs in the 50-75ft range, I also used a power amp to distribute my coax and it was a star topology with no downstream taps over single shield plain RG-6 (which you probably have).

- personally I never noticed slower output when 2+ of my adapters were being used

- I'm unclear on "those 2 cables after the splitter would just be in their own mova"

- if you're having problems with the far unit you could try swapping out your splitter with a tap, and shunt the 7db of loss all to the short run, you could also try an amp (or amplified splitter) they aren't that expensive.

- In my own test & use I've found MoCA to be pretty underwhelming and I get far greater speeds using cheapish 802.11n APs running DD-WRT as bridges, and pretty acceptable distances over 2.4ghz and even over 5ghz depending on environment and equipment.

Each moca would have its own ethernet port, then connect to each of its own coaxial. Trying to save the 50 bucks is why im asking

-config manual doesnt say if one can link to 2 adapters ive looked already

There are multiple doors in the way so bridges are meh

The splitters need to be over 1.5ghz since moca operates there
No amplifier currently helps that frequency and blocks moca unless its amped before the moca bridge

Your through put seems bull since 180 megabits is the max roughly 22mbs?

Last edited:
Each moca would have its own ethernet port, then connect to each of its own coaxial. Trying to save the 50 bucks is why im asking

-config manual doesnt say if one can link to 2 adapters ive looked already

There are multiple doors in the way so bridges are my

The splitters need to be over 1.5ghz since moca operates there
No amplifier currently helps that frequency and blocks moca unless its amped before the moca bridge

Your through put seems bull since 180 megabits is the max roughly 22mbs?

- wifi goes through doors ;)

- MoCA v1 & v1.1 operate below 1.5ghz, I'm pretty sure your adapters aren't v2, but regardless I was stating that the freq range of your splitter wasnt the issue.

- I implied look at config file to follow reset and clean setup procedures

- my throughoutput is bull since my off the top of head estimate was -7 to +3 MB/s or whatever over MoCA v1.1 advertised claims??

- MoCA 1.1 standard supports 16 adapters

- MoCA v1.1 uses 500-1.5ghz, my amp covers the lower half of that range (regardless, MoCA v2 uses to to 1.65ghz, I don't think and amp will hobble it)

- amps don't block MoCA, I was sharing my personal experience of mine working vs your experience of it not working, of not getting your stuff to work, so trust me, I would be the first person to tell you if it didn't work.

Regardless, try a tap instead, they're like $8. Other than that, saving $50 by using 5yr old tech and wanting it to work fast and easily today might conflict. Hence why I sold all my MoCA stuff on eBay last year.

gede3u9e.jpg

Directly to the right of the coax amp/distributor is the spot previously occupied by a MoCA adapter. :)

The wifi will not work its multiple concrete houses built on eachother with shirt tons of doors is ridiculous :/

Mine are v2

I read warnings that the splitters block moca, no expereince with it since mine are 2ghz etc

Im glad to see 2 should connect to the 1 main. Ill be working with it more tomorrow

The wifi will not work its multiple concrete houses built on eachother with shirt tons of doors is ridiculous :/

Mine are v2

I read warnings that the splitters block moca, no expereince with it since mine are 2ghz etc

Im glad to see 2 should connect to the 1 main. Ill be working with it more tomorrow

Is that the difference between the mca1001 & the mca1001v2? It's not a product I'm super familiar with and didn't catch it you differentiated earlier. I just know the regular mca1001 was released pre MoCA v2 standards.

Anyway, look forward to hearing your results, and I can personally attest that splitters & amps don't block MoCA adapters.

Still been lazy and havent done a test at the same time but they work individually lol will tell yall soon

There's a review of the Netgear MoCA adapters elsewhere on this site that talks about what sort of throughput you can expect. I believe the result was something like 70Mbps between 2 MoCA adapters and up to about 125Mbps if you have more adaptors operating concurrently. I have done some testing and saw "long term" transfer speeds of about 85Mbps via some very large file transfers, which is higher than than the review mentions, but not that much higher.

I have three adapters currently, one in a bedroom for a desktop, one at my entertainment center for the Roku there, and one at my computer, connected to the cable modem and router. Everything has worked great for a couple of years now. And if you're careful with splitters, they're not a problem, either, but you have to make sure that their frequency ranges are correct for the use so that they pass the MoCA signals as well as the cable TV ones.

Satellite TV complicates things, since it also operates mostly above cable TV frequencies, and MoCA usually operates at the bottom end of satellite frequencies and above cable TV frequencies. So MoCA can work with either, but, as I mentioned, with satellite TV you have be more careful when coexisting with MoCA, since there may be some overlap. Until now, I haven't had to worry about that, but I'm thinking of dumping Comcast TV for less expensive satellite TV, so in that case I'll need to revisit I get internet to my living room.

At any rate, I'm not having any problem with more than 2 adapters, and I've got the cable modem connected off a splitter, and each of the other two adapters are also off a different branch of the same splitter, so that's fine here, too. No amplifiers here to worry about, so that's one less problem.

Also, if it isn't clear, you need one MoCA adapter at your cable modem, and another adapter wherever you need a LAN connection via MoCA. Of course, you can connect a wireless router to a MoCA adapter for an AP (assuming the router is configured as an AP *smile*), and that router can also provide hardwired connections at the same locale. Or you can connect a switch to the MoCA box and that will provide multiple hard-wire connect points at the endpoint MoCA adapter.

Last edited:
With the problem that you're having with getting both connections running on the same MoCA network with the splitter, I'd just spend the extra $50 and have each leg have its own connection back to the router. This way, if one network fails, you can simply diagnose it on its own versus having to redo all this. Better to spend $50 and have it working solid and not mess with again because something marginally working broke.

With the problem that you're having with getting both connections running on the same MoCA network with the splitter, I'd just spend the extra $50 and have each leg have its own connection back to the router. This way, if one network fails, you can simply diagnose it on its own versus having to redo all this. Better to spend $50 and have it working solid and not mess with again because something marginally working broke.

Yea its not possible to connect it had i had done, it wont communicate simultaneously. So unless youre ok with unplugging one or you rarely use one of them youll need 4

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!