What's new

Will MoCA Work?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Yes it’s MoCA 2.5 (screenbeam ecb 7250) attached is another screenshot of basement to carriage house link and ive also attached a picture of the the other MoCA 2.5 that goes to various different rooms (master bedroom, office, family room). Maybe the 3ghz grounding block will help…? The Basement to carriage house MoCA signal passes thru the current coupler grounding block. The other MoCA node going from the basement to the various different rooms does not pass through a coupler, it only goes thru a MoCA splitter.

Attachments

• IMG_9280.png
    IMG_9280.png
    71.6 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG_9279.png
    IMG_9279.png
    71.2 KB · Views: 21
Yeah, clearly there’s an issue with the Carriage House path. (miserable PHY rates; other multi-node network is correctly in neighborhood of 3500 Mbps)

One approach would be to use a pair of adapters to evaluate each coax segment in the path to see if any one is particularly problematic.

Here are more pictures of the carriage house moca setup...it seems to be working fine but if you think I might have issues I might just setup a PtP solution and forget about MoCA in the carriage house.

Attachments

• Untitled 5.jpg
    Untitled 5.jpg
    64.6 KB · Views: 18
  • Untitled 4.jpg
    Untitled 4.jpg
    68.6 KB · Views: 16
  • Untitled 1.jpg
    Untitled 1.jpg
    78.4 KB · Views: 17
  • Untitled 2.jpg
    Untitled 2.jpg
    69.5 KB · Views: 15
  • Untitled 3.jpg
    Untitled 3.jpg
    82.4 KB · Views: 14
Yeah, clearly there’s an issue with the Carriage House path. (miserable PHY rates; other multi-node network is correctly in neighborhood of 3500 Mbps)

One approach would be to use a pair of adapters to evaluate each coax segment in the path to see if any one is particularly problematic.
I did as you suggested and I believe the cable causing me issues is the one going from that’s going from the entry point to the roof. When I bypass that cable and plugged a MoCA node directly into the coax that is connected to the carriage house node, I got the full speed, see image 9292. When I reconnected everything to the way it was before this test, my speeds improved…see image 9294.

Attachments

• IMG_9292.png
    IMG_9292.png
    65.7 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_9294.png
    IMG_9294.png
    81.8 KB · Views: 12

I left a computer connected to the carriage house moca node today. I’m using teamviewer to remote into it, for the last few hours everything has been fine.. I’ve been hitting 100Mbps (the computers NIC is 10/100, it’s really old) anyways a few mins ago I ran another Speedtest & IPsec test to my Mac and I’m getting horrible speeds. Attach are pictures of the eero that’s connected to the switch the carriage house moca node feeds into, pictures of Speedtest and iperf from the carriage laptop and the MoCA node’s PHY rates. Do you think the issue is with the coax cable or could it be that it’s a power issue and I should put in a power conditioner..?

Attachments

• IMG_9299.png
    IMG_9299.png
    147.2 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_9298.png
    IMG_9298.png
    65.1 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_9297.png
    IMG_9297.png
    46.3 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_9300.png
    IMG_9300.png
    69.4 KB · Views: 17
The issue with the bad coax cable may well be the connectors and not the cable itself . i think you mentioned earlier after disconnecting and testing the direct cable, when you connected all back together as before the test, the bit rate sync between the two nodes went up quite a bit , granted not the same as the moca 2.5 rate on the direct connect

check both end connectors for any cat whiskers of metal shield braid, check that the center conductor is not corroded and is long enough -should just stick outside the screw down part of the connector.

are the cable ends directly connecting to the moca modem or is it going through a wall plate on a box and a second piece of coax being used to connect to the moca modem ?

is this RG6 or RG59 coax ?

The issue with the bad coax cable may well be the connectors and not the cable itself . i think you mentioned earlier after disconnecting and testing the direct cable, when you connected all back together as before the test, the bit rate sync between the two nodes went up quite a bit , granted not the same as the moca 2.5 rate on the direct connect

check both end connectors for any cat whiskers of metal shield braid, check that the center conductor is not corroded and is long enough -should just stick outside the screw down part of the connector.

are the cable ends directly connecting to the moca modem or is it going through a wall plate on a box and a second piece of coax being used to connect to the moca modem ?

is this RG6 or RG59 coax ?
It’s RG6 it goes from moca modem in basement to a coupler that then goes to the entry point and connects to another coupler that goes up to the roof and then connects to another coupler that goes all the way to the carriage house and finally connects to the moca modem in the carriage house… all couplers are 3ghz rated.

I checked iPerf, Speedtest and the Carriage house node phy rates a few mins ago, attached are the results.

Attachments

• IMG_9301.png
    IMG_9301.png
    59.7 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_9302.png
    IMG_9302.png
    154.5 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_9303.png
    IMG_9303.png
    78.8 KB · Views: 16
Moca or HomePlug - interesting tech 10 years ago...

On a commercial basis - WiFi mesh has kind of won that war...
Kinda throwing MoCA under the bus with Powerline in the comment but, to be fair, the article doesn’t assess MoCA; if anything, it seems to give it a thumbs-up where coax is what’s available.

“Cat6/ Cat7, fiber, MoCA, and even mesh WiFi are better.”

I checked iPerf, Speedtest and the Carriage house node phy rates a few mins ago, attached are the results.
PHY rates look great now (3500 Mbps ballpark), but 100 Mbps cap on throughput indicates a bad cable or older network gear somewhere in the path limiting you to Fast Ethernet’s 100 Mbps max. (I have some catching-up to do to review the thread and see what’s changed.)

I’d be curious to see an updated diagram (time and interest allowing) of how things are now connected — but also expanding to include the in-room gear (devices and splitters). The PHY table seems to indicate that Carriage House connectivity may have been gained by sacrificing any other MoCA connectivity for the “left side” locations.

PHY rates look great now (3500 Mbps ballpark), but 100 Mbps cap on throughput indicates a bad cable or older network gear somewhere in the path limiting you to Fast Ethernet’s 100 Mbps max. (I have some catching-up to do to review the thread and see what’s changed.)

I’d be curious to see an updated diagram (time and interest allowing) of how things are now connected — but also expanding to include the in-room gear (devices and splitters). The PHY table seems to indicate that Carriage House connectivity may have been gained by sacrificing any other MoCA connectivity for the “left side” locations.
Once you review my previous posts you’ll see that I have not changed anything since your last diagram. While things may have been perfect this morning, you’ll see from my previous post that speed and connectivity were all over the place yesterday. The laptop I left in the carriage house to do my testing with has 10/100 Mbps network card.

Once you review my previous posts you’ll see that I have not changed anything since your last diagram. While things may have been perfect this morning, you’ll see from my previous post that speed and connectivity were all over the place yesterday. The laptop I left in the carriage house to do my testing with has 10/100 Mbps network card.
I just attempted to remote into the carriage house laptop and I can’t get in. I remotes into my other laptop in the basement and I can’t check the physical rates of the carriage house moca node.. it won’t load. This is what happens everyday…

The laptop I left in the carriage house to do my testing with has 10/100 Mbps network card.
Ah, so that’s the FastE culprit. Got it. Obviously this devalues throughput testing as a means of evaluating the MoCA link, since the FastE bottleneck will cover-up MoCA failing to push Gigabit speeds.

This is from my iPhone next to carriage house eero WiFi 6 access point. I did not disconnect or reconnect anything from about an hour ago when it was not responding to now.

Attachments

• IMG_9307.png
    IMG_9307.png
    40.7 KB · Views: 17
I replaced the faulty coax in the line and everything has looked good for the last few hours. I’m going to replace the current laptop with one that has gigabit Ethernet tomorrow and run more tests.

Attachments

• IMG_9309.png
    IMG_9309.png
    65.9 KB · Views: 12
Kinda throwing MoCA under the bus with Powerline in the comment but, to be fair, the article doesn’t assess MoCA; if anything, it seems to give it a thumbs-up where coax is what’s available.

MOCA never got the traction it deserved - and I think much of this is due to a couple of items

1) It was really pushed as a carrier/provider option - Verizon made good use of MOCA with their FIOS platforms... other carriers did as well in markets outside of the US

2) Internal Cable Plant issues - on the customer side, it is/was a mix - Analog CATV is very tolerant of less than optimal cable runs, splitters, end point terminations - Digital TV over QAM perhaps less so, and Switched Digital VIdeo was pretty much at the level of MOCA...

Bad cable equals bad results...

A few years back, my TV provider at the time rolled out SDV, and they handed out SDV boxes (rent free I might add), but just plugging the cable in and hooking the TV to the box - wasn't good for my house built in 1978 - had a lot of issues with drop-outs, poor video quality, etc - ended up doing a full on cable pull from the demarc to multiple wall sockets - I did the pulls, and had the cable tech there to check things with his test equipment...

I've only the current endpoint running at the moment for my cable modem - so I do have a good plant to run things over MOCA if I chose to - it's close to optimal, as my current TV is running on it's own runs outside of the CATV runs...

It's always interesting to see MOCA/HPAV/G.hn users ask - if the rates adverrtised is 1200, 2000, 2500 Mbos - why do they see at best 100-150 Mbps...

It's always interesting to see MOCA/HPAV/G.hn users ask - if the rates adverrtised is 1200, 2000, 2500 Mbos - why do they see at best 100-150 Mbps...
Similar to the prior reply lumping MoCA in with Powerline. MoCA typically *can* reach the advertised rates.

Why is the MoCA phy rate 3500Mbps isn’t that far greater than the 2.5Gbps that my MoCA nodes support?
Yes, the raw wire bitrate is higher than the data rate. The difference between 1's and 0's flowing over the wire and a functioning network protocol.

Relative to the context of the quote, are MoCA 2.5 adapters advertised as capable of 3500 Mbps or 2500 Mbps?

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!