What's new

Will MoCA Work?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Yes, the raw wire bitrate is higher than the data rate. The difference between 1's and 0's flowing over the wire and a functioning network protocol.

Relative to the context of the quote, are MoCA 2.5 adapters advertised as capable of 3500 Mbps or 2500 Mbps?
2500Mbps I believe.
Attached are my iPerf tests from a laptop that does have a gigabit Ethernet port.
Does it look good to you?

Attachments

• IMG_9314.png
    IMG_9314.png
    81.1 KB · Views: 28
Attached is a new iPerf test from a computer that has a gigabit Ethernet port.. I’m still not reaching gigabit speeds… also attached is from my iPhone connected to the carriage house access point (eero 6 pro)

Attachments

• IMG_9314.png
    IMG_9314.png
    81.1 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_9315.png
    IMG_9315.png
    37.8 KB · Views: 18
Thank you! That did it, I ran 10 parallel streams and got almost.
It looks like you also included the "-bidir" option, so it was testing simultaneous send/receive... and appears to have measured symmetrical 934 Mbps -- which makes sense for MoCA 2.5 and full duplex Gigabit Ethernet gear.

It looks like you also included the "-bidir" option, so it was testing simultaneous send/receive... and appears to have measured symmetrical 934 Mbps -- which makes sense for MoCA 2.5 and full duplex Gigabit Ethernet gear.
Yup thank you so much for the help and guidance.

Once you review my previous posts you’ll see that I have not changed anything since your last diagram.
None of my diagrams had the Carriage House in an isolated connection on the "left side" path, so I'm curious what the current configuration actually is.

None of my diagrams had the Carriage House in an isolated connection on the "left side" path, so I'm curious what the current configuration actually is.
Oops. I capped off both ends of the kitchen and 3rd floor bedroom coax lines and got rid of the splitter they were connected to. I placed the carriage line in a coax 3ghz coupler that directly connects to the basement moca. So the carriage house is completely isolated.

Oops. I capped off both ends of the kitchen and 3rd floor bedroom coax lines and got rid of the splitter they were connected to. I placed the carriage line in a coax 3ghz coupler that directly connects to the basement moca. So the carriage house is completely isolated.
Now that you've replaced what is suspected to have been a bad coax line, have you thought about giving the scheme diagrammed in this post another try? (diagram)

Heh, I imagine it would be good to leave things alone for a bit if they're actually working-ish.
Yeah, that’s a good idea too.
Is there a for dummy guide for the moca phy rates? I don’t understand why some of the numbers are much lower than others, for example in the picture I’ve attached why are those numbers 701? Shouldn’t they also be in the 3000 range…?

Attachments

• IMG_9319.png
    IMG_9319.png
    69.4 KB · Views: 17
It’s RG6 it goes from moca modem in basement to a coupler that then goes to the entry point and connects to another coupler that goes up to the roof and then connects to another coupler that goes all the way to the carriage house and finally connects to the moca modem in the carriage house… all couplers are 3ghz rated.
This is another variation from prior diagrams that I'm not fully understanding. It sounds like (and PHY diags indicate) that you have a direct connection between a pair of MoCA adapters: one in the basement and the other in the Carriage House. But how is the basement MoCA adapter connected via Ethernet, to what?

There's no LAN connection available in the basement in the earlier diagrams. Or is there a network switch at/near the basement splitter?

This is another variation from prior diagrams that I'm not fully understanding. It sounds like (and PHY diags indicate) that you have a direct connection between a pair of MoCA adapters: one in the basement and the other in the Carriage House. But how is the basement MoCA adapter connected via Ethernet, to what?

There's no LAN connection available in the basement in the earlier diagrams. Or is there a network switch at/near the basement splitter?
There’s a direct connection between a moca node in the basement and carriage house. There is also an additional moca node in the basement that’s connected to the splitter in the basement that goes to a splitter on the 2nd floor that then goes to the family room, and master bedroom.

The two MoCA nodes in the basement are connected to a Netgear 16 port PoE switch which is then connected to the Eero Pro 6 router/gateway.

Is there a for dummy guide for the moca phy rates? I don’t understand why some of the numbers are much lower than others, for example in the picture I’ve attached why are those numbers 701? Shouldn’t they also be in the 3000 range…?
I'd welcome such a guide, as well. And, no, the diagonal rates shouldn't be in the 3500 Mbps range, since they're not reflective of a 5-channel MoCA link. (700 Mbps per channel times 5 channels nets 3500 Mbps)

Edit: … all the other numbers in the table are the to/from rates between pairs of MoCA nodes. The upper left to lower right diagonal cells are the cells where to/from are the same adapter.

Last edited:
Can I plug in the coax cables into surge protectors? Will that ruin the MoCA signal?
Heh, weird coincidence. I’d never really seen it discussed before, but just earlier today came across “remove coax surge protectors” as one of several troubleshooting steps in some web page I was scanning.

Anyway, if you can’t find specs for the surge protector that explicitly documents behavior at MoCA frequencies, and the documented effect (loss) is minimal, then it shouldn’t be part of your MoCA path.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!