What's new

MoCa installation question

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

ktiedt

New Around Here
We just moved into a new house and the owner kinda wired things a bit oddly, some rooms have RG6+HDMI extenders others have 2xRG6 + HDMI + 4 network plugs... For the most part this works ok for us, however we have a small rackmount setup that we had really hoped to leave in the garage. A friend suggested MoCa might be an answer (due to 2.5 specs - which I later learned were not available yet) and I believe he may be right... As long as my assumptions prove to be correct.

1. How many devices does MoCa 2.0 support (I've seen numbers ranging from 8-16, some articles arent clear if they are about 1.0, 1.1 or 2.0 though so its been hard to nail down specifics)
  2. Since MoCa supports at least 8 devices, if I a device next to our modem and plug it up to LAN Switch <-> Garage - can I think put a multi port splitter in the garage to get multiple Gigabit LAN ports available? Or will the single device bridging to the Switch become a 1 Gigabit bottle neck? (This is what I suspect will be the case)
  3. If #2's answer is that it is a bottleneck can this be resolved by setting up the same setup as in the garage? Splitter -> multiple MoCa devices <-> unique Switch ports?
  4. Lastly, are there any brands that have a clear advantage over others in this field? I don't mind paying higher costs for quality equipment if it means having a solid and stable network.
Thanks in advance!

ps. If anyone knows a good resource that would explain these things, I've read through the specs pages but they appear to be oddly light on details that would actually lay out the limitations (beyond speeds). Of course I could have also been looking in the wrong place.

I am not exactly sure what your asking. A diagram would certainly help. To get the fastest MOCA available you only want two MOCA devices on a piece of COAX. One adapter on each end. If you do that you can get close to 1Gb/s speeds (notice this is total throughput, compared to a full duplex gigabit ethernet port that is 2Gb/s total throughput). If you put more MOCA adapters on the same shared piece of COAX then the max speed slows down, and the total bandwidth is shared between the adapters. MOCA 2.0 is the fastest out right now, and the fastest implementation is bonded in turbo mode. The Actiontech ECB6200 is an example (one of the only ones out right now). Now if you have multiple COAX lines running between the two locations you could have multiple 1GB/s lines over COAX.

Ahhh so from reading what I had been able to find, it made it sound like each device got a separate "channel" on the coax and each channel could get those speeds (similar to have Satellite services have been sharing data between DVRs for years). So, by your explanation this is no more of a solution than we previously thought :(

Thanks for that information!

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!