What's new

MOCA POE Filter

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

snb_fan

Occasional Visitor
Hi all,

My current setup is as follows:
- Outside cable is split to go upstairs and into basement.
- Upstairs = coax in to ECB6200, then to modem/router
- Basement = coax in to Moca Splitter - one way to ECB6200 and other to TVs

With the above setup I'm connected fine. I have almost full gig Ethernet in basement.

When I add the POE filter to the basement coax in, before the Moca Splitter, I lose the coax in connection with the ECB6200.

Why would the filter be causing this disconnect? Is there anything else I should be trying? I did attempt a test on the outside box and put the filter in front of the cable companies splitter but same issue. And I have tried two filters to make sure it's not a faulty filter. Should the filter be put upstairs (does it make sense to have it there)?

Thanks.

What filter are you trying?
I ordered one and returned it for a different brand as the first would not allow my MOCA adapter to work.
The one that works is a Antronix Filter, GLF-1002 MoCA PoE
I also use this splitter 2 Way Antronix MMC1002H-B 5-1675 MHz MoCA 2.0 Splitter

pls make a sketch of the layout showing the filters, splitters, and devices that attach to the coax. make and model #.

Diagram.PNG

When I originally posted I had a Starburst Moca 2.0 2 way splitter (5-1675MHz) before the ECB6200 in the basement. But then I lost the Coax connection earlier this morning (running fine for a week) so I removed it to get the connection back.

Last edited:
Not using currently. When I attempted to place one, it was before the ECB6200 in the basement, so at the main coax line in into the basement. When installed, I lose the coax light on the ECB6200. I've tried both a Holland MPOE-TM MoCA POE Filter and one that my cable provider had left behind.

The poe filter is used to prevent moca signals from entering the isp coax system. So it should go, ideally, at the inlet to the isp splitter at the demarc point, since you apparently have to traverse the isp splitter.

the isp splitter shown would not be expected to pass moca2 frequency bands as you state it’s upper frequency limit is 1GHz. It needs to have an upper limit of 1675 MHz or higher and compatible with moca 2.

The poe filter is used to prevent moca signals from entering the isp coax system. So it should go, ideally, at the inlet to the isp splitter at the demarc point, since you apparently have to traverse the isp splitter.

the isp splitter shown would not be expected to pass moca2 frequency bands as you state it’s upper frequency limit is 1GHz. It needs to have an upper limit of 1675 MHz or higher and compatible with moca 2.

I replaced the outside cable provider Antronix splitter with a Starburst Moca 2.0 2-way splitter (5-1675MHz) and then the POE filter before it with no luck. Coax lights on ECB6200s will not come on. Could it be the splitter? Any recommended one to use? Or is there something else that might be going on?

The splitter is bi-directional ?
The modems would sync with the old splitter and POE in place ?

put everything back as it was working and go into the diagnostic page on the Actiontec 6200 and see what it shows.

The splitter is bi-directional ?
The modems would sync with the old splitter and POE in place ?

put everything back as it was working and go into the diagnostic page on the Actiontec 6200 and see what it shows.

Splitter is bi-directional.
No sync once POE attached regardless of splitter (Cable providers or the Moca one).

Not sure on what you're looking for from diag page so please tell me if more is required.
Diag.png

And you are placing the poe filter on the isp side of the splitter at the demarcation box ?

then unless there is a cable issue or the ECBs are actually syncing with an ISP device upstream, it doesn't make sense to me that the MOCA sync would drop out when you install the Holland MOCA2 POE filter on the ISP side of the initial splitter (which should be 5-1675 rated for moca2, maybe the antronix does anyway). The diagnostic page should show the nodes linked. Sorry i am not able to help you more.

then unless there is a cable issue or the ECBs are actually syncing with an ISP device upstream, it doesn't make sense to me that the MOCA sync would drop out when you install the Holland MOCA2 POE filter on the ISP side of the initial splitter (which should be 5-1675 rated for moca2, maybe the antronix does anyway). The diagnostic page should show the nodes linked. Sorry i am not able to help you more.

No worries. Thanks for helping out as much as you did. Cheers.

you can try one more experiment to try to track this down. At the demarc splitter, disconnect your upstairs coax, connect a barrel connector (F/F union) , and then disconnect your downstairs coax and connect it to the other end of the barrel connector. see if the modems sync. If they do, then it should indicate an issue upstream.

When I attempted to place one, it was before the ECB6200 in the basement, so at the main coax line in into the basement. When installed, I lose the coax light on the ECB6200.
I'm confused as to what you meant, here, so ... just to be clear ... the MoCA filter for your cable signal point-of-entry would go on the input of your top level splitter, the Antronix CMC2002H in your diagram. (see attached, below).

Ideally, you'd upgrade that splitter to one specifically designed for MoCA (Holland GHS-PRO-M series, Verizon or Starburst MoCA 2.0 models, or newer Amphenol Broadband Solutions model), but it may still work if the "PoE" MoCA filter is correctly installed.

p.s. I've also annotated the ECB6200 coax ports, just in case.

clarification w correction.png

p.p.s. A MoCA filter off either leg of the top-level splitter would block MoCA signals from reaching the other side of the splitter, since a MoCA filter blocks/reflects signals at MoCA frequencies ... passing only frequencies 1002 MHz and below.

e.g.:
  • Pass Band: 5 - 1002MHz
  • Stop Band: 1125 - 1525MHz

edit: Corrected for Starburst MoCA 2.0 splitter as top-level

Last edited:
Ideally is one thing. A MoCA filter definitely should not be installed as described here:
When I attempted to place one, it was before the ECB6200 in the basement, so at the main coax line in into the basement.

Of course, splitters aren't like filters and can pass signals above the spec'd range, though with unspecified attenuation ... but the OP is trying to use MoCA 2.0 adapters, and so isn't just trying to establish some paltry connection over the coax, a 50 MHz channel just above the spec'd range. A bonded MoCA 2.0 connection needs 225 MHz (2x100 MHz channels + 25MHz gap), and so quality splitters with known, acceptable attenuation in the MoCA frequency range become more critical. So moving the Starburst splitter to the top-level location is recommended.

I replaced the outside cable provider Antronix splitter with a Starburst Moca 2.0 2-way splitter (5-1675MHz) and then the POE filter before it with no luck.
If "before it" means on the Starburst splitter's input port, yes, that should have worked. But you'd want to confirm the coax connections are all as expected, in case some temporary change hadn't been reverted, and you'd want to make sure that the MoCA filter installed on the input of the Starburst splitter a the point-of-entry is the ONLY MoCA filter installed on your coax.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!