What's new

MoCA Questions

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

jrsmith1279

New Around Here
I've just started looking at MoCA as an option to provide a wired connection from my office to my living room. I've been using a couple of Linksys WRT54g's running DD-WRT to provide a wireless bridge, but the throughput leaves a lot to be desired (Netflix constantly adjusting for bandwidth change ..etc). MoCA looks very interesting to me, but I do have a few questions.

Forgive me if any of these questions have already been asked, but I wasn't able to find the answers that I'm looking for.

1. My current Time Warner Cable service includes a whole-house DVR system that uses MoCA, would there be any issues with setting up some MoCA bridges on the same coax?

2. Time Warner installed filters on the main line coming in to the house and on the line that goes directly to my cable modem. They said that these filters were to keep my DVR network contained to my house (ie not shared with neighbors) and to avoid interference with the cable modem. Do any of those things make sense or are they true? If I didn't have the filters and I set up a MoCA network, what's keeping my neighbors out of it?

3. Is there any benefit/is it possible to set up VLAN's on a MoCA network or does it not work that way?

4. Are there any MoCA 2.0 devices out yet? I haven't seen any, but I'm definitely interested in the higher speeds. Also, would 2.0 and 1.1 be able to co-exist on the same coax?

Thanks in advance for the help, I've found these forums to be extremely helpful already!

Some good questions there. Let's see if I can provide good answers.
1. My current Time Warner Cable service includes a whole-house DVR system that uses MoCA, would there be any issues with setting up some MoCA bridges on the same coax?
If they are using standard MoCA, you should be able to add MoCA nodes (16 max.)

2. Time Warner installed filters on the main line coming in to the house and on the line that goes directly to my cable modem. They said that these filters were to keep my DVR network contained to my house (ie not shared with neighbors) and to avoid interference with the cable modem. Do any of those things make sense or are they true? If I didn't have the filters and I set up a MoCA network, what's keeping my neighbors out of it?
The filters are also probably keeping the MoCA frequencies from getting back upstream and potentially causing problems.
Distance, multiple splitters and in-line amplifiers would keep your MoCA network from going very far. You also can set a network password as you can in HomePlug

3. Is there any benefit/is it possible to set up VLAN's on a MoCA network or does it not work that way?
VLANs should be possible, but I haven't seen it built into any adapters.

4. Are there any MoCA 2.0 devices out yet? I haven't seen any, but I'm definitely interested in the higher speeds. Also, would 2.0 and 1.1 be able to co-exist on the same coax?
No 2.0 devices that I know of yet. Chip sampling is supposedly just starting. Yes, 2.0 and 1.0 / 1.1 can coexist and interoperate.

Awesome, thanks for the answers! I'll be moving soon so I'll probably hold off until I move, but I think MoCA is definitely my best bet for what I want to do.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!