What's new

MoCA to wireless?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

KJIsaacson

New Around Here
Is there a way to wirelessly connect to a MoCA adapter? In other words, Router to MoC adapter at one end. At receiving, coax to MoCA adapter, and then instead of ethernet cable to computer, I want to go wireless (from MoCA adapter) to computer.

Thanks.

Just connect a wireless access point (or router configued as a WAP) to the remote MoCA adapter. This is one of the more common applications for MoCA, nowadays, improving wireless coverage.

That said, if the PC can be wired to the MoCA adapter, directly or via a WAP's built-in GigE switch, all the better.

Yes, re the direct wire to the computer, but when I came up with the MoCA solution to my wife's home office set up, she said "Another cable? NO." <sigh>

So it's up to me to find a solution, or put up with the daily "Damn this internet connection" rants.

Thanks!

Bit of a tough position to be in, complaints Re: connection quality yet unable to install the most reliable connection.

Is the issue that the coax outlet is not near the computer?

Bit of a tough position to be in, complaints Re: connection quality yet unable to install the most reliable connection.

Is the issue that the coax outlet is not near the computer?

The "problem" is that her desk is not against the wall. It sits about two feet from the wall and faces toward the center of the room. So the back of her computer faces the center of the room. The ethernet cable would therefore not run along the baseboard. It would go across the floor, exposed, and up the exposed back of the desk. Not a tremendous problem IMO, but... well, you know.

Given the quote was "Another cable?" ... would an Ethernet cable not be able to blend in with any other cables running to her desk (like power)?

Flat ethernet cable can work under rugs since it lays flat. Don't run ethernet cables parallel to and within one ft of a power cable. It can cause interference with the ethernet signal.

there are also wall mount APs available that are pretty small so if you can get ethernet to them......

a ceiling mount AP might work. Even above the ceiling if it is in conditioned (cooled/heated) space and only sheetrock ceiling.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!