What's new

Monitoring data usage on ASUSWRT

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

alsoszaa

New Around Here
I just bought an Asus AX56U because after looking at the supported models for the merlin mod, I was excited to see there is a builtin tool to monitor by IP. Then I saw that this does not work for models newer than AC68. Is this correct? Ive had a couple months that I noticed I almost used all my data allowed by my ISP without penalty. I want to know what device is taking my allotted monthly data. Can I accomplish this on the AX56U with the ASUSWRT merlin mod, or do I need to exchange my router for a different model?

Traffic Analyzer is supported by both Asuswrt and Asuswrt-Merlin devices, including the RT-AX56U.

Sorry, I'm very new to this mod. What is the difference between traffic analyzer and traffic monitor? Like I mentioned, I am looking for a way to track each individual ip's data usage for a month. I realize I will need to save the data to usb to support the amount of logging data. Will traffic analyzer allow me to do this? And is that possible on the RT-AX56U

Traffic Monitor is a component of Traffic Analyzer. Traffic Monitor records a total throughput for each type of connection to your router (LAN, WAN, and WiFi Radios).
The Traffic Analyzer "Statistic" is what you want to be using to see what data each client is consuming on a daily/weekly/monthly basis. it is provided as a total sum and a per-application basis.

All this is built into the factory firmware (AsusWrt) and doesn't require the Merlin variant.

Just to be clear, the Traffic Analyzer "Statistic" for daily/weekly/monthly basis mentioned above...is this what is stored in Tools, Other Settings, Traffic history location? I have this set to record to a Sandisk USB drive in this router suggested location: /mnt/sda1/traffic-hist/

The reason I ask is...without an external USB, your other choices are RAM or NVRAM. Then at some time in the future (after long term usage and data collection), you would irritate the router and cause instability if you are methodically filling up the RAM/NVRAM with this data. I, too, am interested in looking at long term data usage trends so as to know when it might be a good idea to purchase additional monthly bandwidth/data from my ISP.

Thanks, Paul c.

Just to be clear, the Traffic Analyzer "Statistic" for daily/weekly/monthly basis mentioned above...is this what is stored in Tools, Other Settings, Traffic history location? I have this set to record to a Sandisk USB drive in this router suggested location: /mnt/sda1/traffic-hist/
Yes.

The reason I ask is...without an external USB, your other choices are RAM or NVRAM. Then at some time in the future (after long term usage and data collection), you would irritate the router and cause instability if you are methodically filling up the RAM/NVRAM with this data. I, too, am interested in looking at long term data usage trends so as to know when it might be a good idea to purchase additional monthly bandwidth/data from my ISP.
It will not cause any problems. The data file is very small (~2kB) and of a fixed size (it varies slightly because of the compression ratio). The contents of the file cover a fixed period for each dataset (IIRC it's 62 days and 25 months).