What's new

Most stable asus merlin firmware for AX88U

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

fcoayuso

Occasional Visitor
Hi all,

First of all, thanks in advance for your help, it is my first post!

I own the Asus AX88U and I would like to try the Merlin firmware but wondering if existing owners could recommend which one is the most stable version of the firmware. It is probably a difficult answers, but I am keen to know which one would be the ideal first merlin software for my AX88U.

Thank you all,

Welcome to the forums @fcoayuso.

The latest firmware is always the recommended one to try first. Flash it. Perform a full reset to factory defaults. Do not use any saved backup config file.

The latest Alpha versions are also stable for many/most. If you want to enjoy the latest improvements with a small bit of risk too.

which one is the most stable version of the firmware

I would stay on 386 based versions for now and upgrade after 388.2 is available. Read 388.1 release thread for clues why and decide what you want to do. Make a settings backup of your current Asuswrt firmware before you start your experiments and in case you want to go back to Asuswrt.

Thank you for the advice. I wanted to give it a try to the VPN Fusion, but seems like it is only available from 388. I am kind of scare now :D not sure what to do

You don’t need Asuswrt-Merlin for that. VPN Fusion is available in stock 388 base firmware. If you’re not sure what to do and don’t know how to troubleshoot eventual issues - stay on stock Asuswrt. It’s feature rich enough.

Thank you, what stock version would be the most stable one? I read quite a few issues with the merlin software, but not sure if those issues are also present in the stock Asuswrt. On the other hand, where can I see the differences between the stock and the merlin firmwares? Cheers

Try the latest available Asuswrt, read the release thread. It’s newer than available Asuswrt-Merlin 388.1 release. If you depend on this router and have no much experience - keep it simple and just update in GUI to the latest stock firmware.

So here is my answer to your question. Both my AX6000 and AX88u are using Merlin 388.1 in a wired backhaul mesh with no issues. I do not use a vpn or any other add-on apps. I do use Cake because my dsl is a 40 down/5up service. Cake helps smooth out all users data flow. For me, 388.1 works well. I could update to the 388.2 alpha 2 and get the latest ASUS release, for the AX88u, but for now I am happy with no issues other than the known ones that have been listed in prior post for the GUI mapping. Mapping is an ASUS issue, not Merlin. That issue is experienced with both the mobile app and login from desktop. I live with it.
So, for me, I would try the Rmerlin 388.1 release and see how it works. I you do not like; go back to the current firmware you have and after installing the firmware you like, do a default reset and set everything back up without using a backup file load. Just remember that merlin firmware is ASUS firmware with a few integrated tools that make your life easier when setting up your router.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!