What's new

Move Guest Network 1 to Guest Network 2

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Manicjonah

Occasional Visitor
Hi all. I just finished setting up my new RT-AX86U running Merlin 386.3_2 and am not happy with one of the decisions I made when I was setting up my guest networks. I am writing to see if it is possible and if someone can help me with the commands to move "Gonzo" from slot 1 (shown in picture below) to the slot next to it (slot 2). I don't want to recreate this network and reconnect all of the devices if I don't have to.

When I open up the client list (on the Network Map page) and switch to "Interface" view I found that all of the 2.4GHz and 5Ghz devices (there is a 5GHz guest network also configured in the first slot) were listed together under "Guest Network-1". By migrating the configuration of my "Gonzo" network to the second slot I will see devices connected to this network listed under "Guest Network-2" in the client list.

Gonzo.PNG

Thanks for reading, I hope you can help.

MJ

Attachments

• Gonzo.PNG
    Gonzo.PNG
    14.2 KB · Views: 102
Hi all. I just finished setting up my new RT-AX86U running Merlin 386.3_2 and am not happy with one of the decisions I made when I was setting up my guest networks. I am writing to see if it is possible and if someone can help me with the commands to move "Gonzo" from slot 1 (shown in picture below) to the slot next to it (slot 2). I don't want to recreate this network and reconnect all of the devices if I don't have to.

When I open up the client list (on the Network Map page) and switch to "Interface" view I found that all of the 2.4GHz and 5Ghz devices (there is a 5GHz guest network also configured in the first slot) were listed together under "Guest Network-1". By migrating the configuration of my "Gonzo" network to the second slot I will see devices connected to this network listed under "Guest Network-2" in the client list.

View attachment 38087

Thanks for reading, I hope you can help.

MJ
I do not see what your problem is. I have Guest 1 set for both 2.4 and 5 GHz with the same SSID and passphrase. It is easy to tell which guest they connect to as the band is clearly stated. The difference is the clients on Guest 1 will get an IP address different from the router LAN addresses and that is OK as you want to keep the clients on guest separated. Think security which should be your major reason for using guest WIFI.

Also, you may want to take the guest back to WPA2-Personal as some IoT clients do not like WPA3 yet.

Remove Guest Network 1, enable Guest Network 2 with the same settings.
I tried this last night before I posted and found that the devices needed to be reconnected to work on the network again. Now that I think about it that was the case for one TV but everything else may have been turned off. I did it again this morning and everything seemed to move right over. Boy do I feel dumb. :) Thanks for the help.

The difference is the clients on Guest 1 will get an IP address different from the router LAN addresses and that is OK as you want to keep the clients on guest separated. Think security which should be your major reason for using guest WIFI.
1) Is there any guide or link that explains the difference between Guest Wi-Fi 1, 2 and 3.
2) Is there any way of manually assigning IP addresses to ’known’ guest clients (on Wi-Fi 1, as their IP range is different and LAN page does not allow me to assign DHCP in range of 192.168.101.x)

Router: AX88U, running 386.4
No addon installed.
Router: 192.168.1.1, DHCP range: 192.168.1.10 - 192.168.1.255

I have about 20 devices assignied in the DHCP with static IP based on their MAC addresses.
if I use WiFi 2, I can assign the Guest clients (some IOT devices) static IP address as well in the same range 192.168.1.x

However, I like the idea that Guest WiFi 1 allocates guest clients on a separate subnet.
Guest clients (IOT devices) are now automatically assigned 192.168.101.x addresses.

How do I define the DHCP for the guest clients, as the LAN page does not permit assignments in the 192.168.101.x range.