What's new

Moving into a Home - Where would you deploy UniFi AP's? (attached blueprints)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Mark M

Occasional Visitor
Within the next 2 months I will be moving into a home (from a townhouse condo). The home was built just before the year 1950 and has 1925 Sq/ft. Attached are the Blueprints (there is no Basement). I currently have a UniFi 6 LR-AP and a UniFi Access Point AC Mesh. Planning to work with what I have (the two AP's) upon moving in due to having other expenses, but worse case open to adding an additional AP. Not entirely sure if it will be necessary.

I will need coverage Primarily on 1st Floor as most bandwidth intensive devices will be there, and I already have an AP for Back Yard. I don't foresee any "wired" needs on the 2nd floor as of right now (unless a bedroom turns into an office), so trying to avoid running a drop for WiFi upstairs. Worse case scenario I could run a drop somewhere upstairs (there are cable line entry points). As you see from blule prints attached, most of the congregating will be on the 1st Floor.

The Access Point AC Mesh I plan on putting somewhere along the Back Yard outside wall, probably closer to the computer setup due to there being an outdoor deck on left side.

The harder choice (or so I think) is where to place the Unifi 6 LR-AP. My original idea was to place the U6-LR as shown in the blueprint (high on the wall) but I am not sure. I am slightly concerned with coverage behind the AP, but "don't think" it would be a problem (famous last words)

So the golden questions are:
1) Where would you put the Unifi 6 LR in this house?

2) Is one AP enough for the inside considering there's no basement?

Attachments

• 1st Floor.JPG
    1st Floor.JPG
    141.8 KB · Views: 125
  • 2nd Floor.JPG
    2nd Floor.JPG
    146.3 KB · Views: 114
I could probably get by with one wireless router near the computer corner, with a wire to a switch at the media center... unless the walls/ceiling are particularly difficult for WiFi.

OE

I could probably get by with one wireless router near the computer corner, with a wire to a switch at the media center... unless the walls/ceiling are particularly difficult for WiFi.

OE
My router/firewall (UniFi Dream Machine SE) will most likely not be near the computer corner because I don't know if it will stay a computer corner in future. Router will most likely be hidden in one of the Living Room corners on the right hand side (possibly behind corner of couches, or a wall unit near Media Center).

Will have the flexibility of putting the Wireless Access Point anywhere on the first floor which is why I initially chose a location towards center. I feel like if I put it in computer corner facing the inner house, the upstairs bedroom on south-east side of blueprint will be very dim, unless I put another AP upstairs in that south-east side.

My router/firewall (UniFi Dream Machine SE) will most likely not be near the computer corner because I don't know if it will stay a computer corner in future. Router will most likely be hidden in one of the Living Room corners on the right hand side (possibly behind corner of couches, or a wall unit near Media Center).

Will have the flexibility of putting the Wireless Access Point anywhere on the first floor which is why I initially chose a location towards center. I feel like if I put it in computer corner facing the inner house, the upstairs bedroom on south-east side of blueprint will be very dim, unless I put another AP upstairs in that south-east side.

If one AP, then central; otherwise, spread 'em out as far as possible in your space, imo. Where and how many depends on what and how they perform... which I don't know. :)

OE

If one AP, then central; otherwise, spread 'em out as far as possible in your space, imo. Where and how many depends on what and how they perform... which I don't know. :)

OE
Yeah, that is another thing. Guess I won't know for sure until I fire it up. Maybe I wont permanently run wiring until I find a good spot and my speedtests around the house are as good as can be

Yeah, that is another thing. Guess I won't know for sure until I fire it up. Maybe I wont permanently run wiring until I find a good spot and my speedtests around the house are as good as can be

It would be best to prototype before you lock it in. Also, there may be some security (and courtesy) in not broadcasting WiFi too far off premises.

OE

Did you say you have an AP for outside separate from the AC Mesh? Are your wall all sheetrock or are the plaster?

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!