What's new

Moving & Need Help Configuring devices

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

humblewarfare

Occasional Visitor
I am going to be married soon and I will be moving into my fiancee's house. I'm trying to figure out how to configure things. Here are the devices I have and ideally where they will be located once I move:

Plasma TV with Internet -- Living Room
XBox 360 -- Living Room
Blu-Ray Player -- Living Room
Two Computers -- (Bedroom and maybe one downstairs)

My question is, do I plug the modem up in the living room and connect the devices there to a wireless router and then connect wirelessly to the PCs or

Do I use a "hub" and connect that to a Homeplug(Im just learning about these) and use the other Homeplug and connect it to a router in the bedroom or a different location.

I just know drilling holes and running CAT5 is not going to be an option.

You want a wired connection where you need the most bandwidth. That's probably in the Living room where you are gaming and watching Internet video streams. So that's where you want your router.

I'd try wireless first to the bedroom computers. And if that doesn't work, try HomePlug AV (200 Mbps).

Do you think wireless G would be sufficient or should I upgrade to a Wireless N router?

So I should use the Comcast cable that comes into the living room and move the modem there, connect everything to a wireless router and just use a wireless USB to each PC in the other room(s)? The only thing that would concern me is streaming music/videos from PC to X360(prob not HD video though)

Do you think wireless G would be sufficient or should I upgrade to a Wireless N router?
Depends on what you're trying to do. If just web browsing, email and light web streaming, G may be ok. But if you're starting from scratch, you might as well invest in N vs. G.

So I should use the Comcast cable that comes into the living room and move the modem there, connect everything to a wireless router and just use a wireless USB to each PC in the other room(s)? The only thing that would concern me is streaming music/videos from PC to X360(prob not HD video though)
If everything is wired you'll be ok for bandwidth. '

I'm totally ignorant of what the Xbox 360 needs to support streaming from the PC. But it may involve / enabling Media Center. No biggie if you're running Vista. If XP, you may have a problem.

Depends on what you're trying to do. If just web browsing, email and light web streaming, G may be ok. But if you're starting from scratch, you might as well invest in N vs. G.

On the PC that is correct. There may be light gaming at times, but most will be done on the X360. I currently have a wireless G in my apartment, but everything is connected via cat5

I'm totally ignorant of what the Xbox 360 needs to support streaming from the PC. But it may involve / enabling Media Center. No biggie if you're running Vista. If XP, you may have a problem.

All machines are running Windows 7.

Its been a while since I lived in a big house like this and just want to make sure I take advantage of the technology that is now available. The end goal is to make sure all devices have internet access as more and more things are becoming available to stream.

Win 7 should be fine for working with Xbox 360. Just make sure Media Center features are enabled.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!