What's new

Multiple entries in log allocating the same ip to the same computer

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Well… hello! I told you where the problem is in the other thread.
It might have got lost in the mayhem...lol
Did I mention I had a wake up call?
I really didn't think anything was wrong embarrassed emoji!
Hello...

Just curious, how did "who has knocked out 2 ap's" this happen ? What happened ?
What’s the Session?

In computer science, in particular networking, a session is a semi-permanent interactive information exchange, also known as a dialogue, a conversation or a meeting, between two or more communicating devices, or between a computer and user (see Login session). A session is set up or established at a certain point in time, and torn down at a later point in time. An established communication session may involve more than one message in each direction. A session is typically, but not always, stable, meaning that at least one of the communicating parts need to save information about the session history in order to be able to communicate, as opposed to stateless communication, where the communication consists of independent requests with responses.

Background info can be found here
Problem is it describes how to adjust a different router which wasn't available,yet, when I bought mine.
My TL-ER6020 requires me to link the mac to an ip then put it into a group which I can adjust the session limit.
Years ago I found out the TL-WA901ND has no builtin protection from overwork or overload because of too many sessions in use per device.
My recent guest didn't have a laptop when she moved in. often I didn't get to set the guest's devices up as soon as they access the network. And it hadn't been a problem before.
A month or two later she got a laptop with Witchraft 11...I didn't know till I saw a new ip in the router, traced the mac to a port, assigned a name..and put it in the group.
Now I could go on and on but basically..
The perfectly good working ap became unreliable and would disappear and not work, Reboot and eventually same thing.
Changed out monoprice cable because I was getting strange unexpected token error messages about context in the Wireless throughput reading..in the ap
First AP still needing reboots..Replace with new unused fresh from box..3 days later it is doing same thing..
Dust off a old v1 of the TL-WA901ND flashed with DD-WRT and it has been going steady (disconnects 1-2 times a day avg)
I am thinking the first single AP might be this DD-WRT relic which seems to keep on ticking...

Witchcraft 11 can easily exced 200 sessions with 2 Witchcraft tabs open. 15 tabs and I am barely breaking 100 in a witchcraft 10 machine
That is what has happened.

Last edited:
One AP will be fine until you exceed the hardware on connections, then you will need another AP. So, keep this in mind as you add more devices. Not all APs are created equal on the number of clients they support.

One AP will be fine until you exceed the hardware on connections, then you will need another AP. So, keep this in mind as you add more devices. Not all APs are created equal on the number of clients they support.
Since I can't find reliable info on the max devices that can connect...and I don't know how long they will last at the mercy of Witchcraft 11 o_O
I think the simplest and quickest solution is going to confirm the Telus modem settings concerning firewall and log.
Rename the SSID something political and subversive then give everyone the key....
:cool:

Hi Tech9
Just to let you know...
William Cooper is the name of the AP (modem WiFi)
All of my ap's are shutoff.
The guests have been given access.
None of my equipment is between them and the internet.
Turned on the firewall in the modem
Hopefully they don't break the internet...lol
Oh... I...
think the dragon flies and hummingbirds will enjoy the increase in mosquitoes...
For the record I was listening to all of you and I appreciate all the help.
Thanks for hearing me...

Respect other people's time...

Just saying - we're not paid to support you
Oh I do..
You have been very helpful in the past.
I am sorry you are seeing it this way.
I am not exactly sure how I have upset you,
Let me just say..
I'm sorry!

There are network engineers and experienced developers and implementers contributing here. The high level abstraction makes it very difficult to interpret and understand what is actually going on with this implementation.

There are network engineers and experienced developers and implementers contributing here. The high level abstraction makes it very difficult to interpret and understand what is actually going on with this implementation.
Really?
Happens allot in life.
You learn by doing, which supports the theory...
The more you know, the more you don't know...
Happens to anyone who attempts to learn by experimentation.

and communication depend on the receiver and the transmitter speaking the same language, at least on some level.

If this single AP is still the same 10-years old TL-WA901ND with 2x2 N radio on 2.4GHz - you're not leading by example.

If this single AP is still the same 10-years old TL-WA901ND with 2x2 N radio on 2.4GHz - you're not leading by example.
Bro...
It is the Telus (modem) wifi..
The more I know how it works the more I will need to know what to change..
It was my most obvious choice...
I don't have to worry about Witchcraft 11 taking it out...lol
If the network slows down because of use...buy a faster speed is an option..
My Ap's don't have to be compensated for...
And they make great clients...
If I need to throttle the guests i can buy something , in the future, to work with the managed switch I already have.
Give me a little credit ...

Last edited:
They make great clients to your local electronics recycling depot only.
Oh behave...lol
I have about 7 mobile folding at home computers using them..
If I guest needs a socket to plug a cat cable into the client can do the job.
20210110_201839.jpg

Last edited:

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!