What's new

Multiple entries in log allocating the same ip to the same computer

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

The windows 11 machine, mentioned in the original post, is still causing multiple dhcp entries in the router's log after making connection to a different ap on a different cable and port in the switch.
Computer is an Acer Nitro 5
Windows 11 was installed by windows update and the wifi drivers are newer than the ones available on the Acer website.
Trying to get the owner of the machine to find the issue through research but he too is busy with other things in life.
Not sure what to do at this point.
One of the guests is monitoring the network performance with the other guests and at some point the problem win 11 will be turned off for a couple of days for comparison. I will be not adjusting anything for the week.

The windows 11 machine, mentioned in the original post, is still causing multiple dhcp entries in the router's log after making connection to a different ap on a different cable and port in the switch.
Computer is an Acer Nitro 5
Windows 11 was installed by windows update and the wifi drivers are newer than the ones available on the Acer website.
Trying to get the owner of the machine to find the issue through research but he too is busy with other things in life.
Not sure what to do at this point.
One of the guests is monitoring the network performance with the other guests and at some point the problem win 11 will be turned off for a couple of days for comparison. I will be not adjusting anything for the week.
I notice the Nitro 5 has a "killer" wifi card. It's called killer for a reason, and that reason is not what was intended.

I notice the Nitro 5 has a "killer" wifi card. It's called killer for a reason, and that reason is not what was intended.
A guest told me that Killer is a brand.
He has been insightful and is more conversed on the witchcraft involved than I am...lol
Recovering tech support tech😉
What would you recommend?
His Acer is an earlier model so I will try to find out exactly what card it has.
I will be contacting tp-link about my concerns with the continuous dhcp logs.
Thank you for the info.
Possibly it needs the killer suite installed?
Or would that be a bad idea?

Last edited:
Bad idea to use the killer suite - totally. Use intel's latest non-killer drivers. The behaviour you describe is typical for "killer" cards. May not fix it, but it will eliminate it as a cause.

Each ap is set to Auto for channel select (no issues)
Highest power setting..
whole network itself runs fine..in my opinion..
Issues are different for each guest..in my opinion
Don't know if they are having issues unless It gets mentioned
Testing throughput at the moment on each ap...
I have never seen auto work correctly. Do you have any idea what channels use are using? You need to map them out to see if you have overlapping channels which will keep your APs from running parallel. You want non-overlapping channels so space them out and use your power setting level to help.

I have no doubt that there are a lot of overlaps going on. 6 ap’s mentioned on 2.4 in the other thread

I have never seen auto work correctly. Do you have any idea what channels use are using? You need to map them out to see if you have overlapping channels which will keep your APs from running parallel. You want non-overlapping channels so space them out and use your power setting level to help.

You are going to have overlapping channels no matter what (there are only 3 non-overlapping ones). Auto works fine. If there are no other 2.4 networks anywhere around (you only see your own) then setting static channels can be useful. If that is not the case, auto will typically yield better results, especially if you set it to reboot or rescan every day at like 3AM.

A guest told me that Killer is a brand.
He has been insightful and is more conversed on the witchcraft involved than I am...lol
Recovering tech support tech😉
What would you recommend?
His Acer is an earlier model so I will try to find out exactly what card it has.
I will contacting to link about my concerns with the continuous dchp logs.
Thank you for the info.
Possibly it needs the killer suite installed?
Or would that be a bad idea?

The Killer drivers try to pre-download, pre-cache, and keep connections open in order to provide lower latency and perceived better speed. So seeing many extra connections vs. another brand is not surprising. Your AP can handle this fine. Your router most likely can too.

I added the same tabs to the windows 10 as the windows 11 (both machines running blockers) and the windows 10 still never went over 100.

It certainly would be their fault. It isn't mine.
I didn't make their crappy cable. ...lol
I have way more important things to build and maintain.
If they had checked their product I wouldn't of had to look for an issue..
No telling how long it takes to find intermittent issues caused by cables.
Monoprice cables passed the test made by the commercial tester.
It was windows remote desktop that reported the one faulty cable.
Then I saw online what you were saying about them...quality not there.
Oh..you wouldn't put a time frame on it if you saw the size of my network....lol
Actually the local hardware had more reliable cat cables than monoprice..

Oh sorry I only imagined getting lost at the bakery chief, so not to make you feel bad..
Ikea?...Just look for the shortcuts..lol

You own a commercial tester? Monoprice doesn't.

Can pretty much guarantee that Monoprice's supplier (and all the no-name cable suppliers, many of which are the same company) does not sweep or BER test every cable. Probably conductivity/pinout (basic test with $50 tester) only, and even that is a stretch. Like I said, if that is an issue for you, invest in the real data center cables that are $10 each at a minimum. Your local hardware store's cables probably are made by the same chinese company that makes Monoprice. And if you're going to pay local hardware prices, spend about the same on a top of the line DC cable that has been swept and BER tested individually.

You've already made it clear that your network is unnecessarily huge. But with the right knowledge it takes minutes to isolate and diagnose a faulty cable no matter how large the network. I think you're relying too much on "witchcraft" that you keep talking about.

If you would listen to the advice that so many are giving you and simplify your network you'd have a lot less issues, and the ones you do have will be much easier to identify.

In the furnace room
Telus modem (wifi)
RT-AC88U (wifi)
TL-WR1043ND(wifi)
and 1 guest ap TL-WA901ND(wifi)
the rest of the TL-WA901ND's (5)(wifi)
are spread out setting on the drop down ceiling panels on poe
Earlier versions of my layout had each ap operating on a separate channel but I got tiring of reconfiguring correctly when they needed replacement...until I installed the TL-ER6020 and adjusted max sessions to 200.
Suddenly ap's were lasting many many years.
First loss of a perfectly good working ap was due to a computer running Witchcraft 11..took it out in 2 days.
Brand new, replacement, out of the box lasted a week...
The next one was an old beater gen v1 TL-WA901ND flashed with DD WRT..
It has been running a couple of months now, or month and a half...I'm old..lol
Network is solid.
I tested it Sunday and proved it beyond a doubt.
Any ap or wifi signal is strong and no hiccups on my Witchcraft 10 Home.
Let's not get off topic
Bad idea to use the killer suite - totally. Use intel's latest non-killer drivers. The behaviour you describe is typical for "killer" cards. May not fix it, but it will eliminate it as a cause.
This is the answer hidden in the statement to possibly fix the issue of multiple DHCP entries in the router log.
That computer continued to do it even connected to a different (new) ap and cable.
This is the direction this investigation needs to go.
Ripshod
Where do I direct my tech support and guest to find the drivers and proof of the behaviour you speak of?
Oh...
drinkingbrd is in my penalty box and on my ignore setting...:cool:

Last edited:
First download intel's latest standard wifi drivers from https://www.intel.com/content/www/u...i-fi-drivers-for-intel-wireless-adapters.html
In device manager uninstall the wireless adapter, opting to delete the current drivers. Reboot and install the Intel drivers. Job done.
If the killer suite is installed you may need to uninstall that too, though it shouldn't interfere as it won't recognise the WiFi card - removal is an option.
This is from memory, done over a year ago with my killer ax1675i card. You may need to install the Bluetooth drivers from the same source.

First download intel's latest standard wifi drivers from https://www.intel.com/content/www/u...i-fi-drivers-for-intel-wireless-adapters.html
In device manager uninstall the wireless adapter, opting to delete the current drivers. Reboot and install the Intel drivers. Job done.
If the killer suite is installed you may need to uninstall that too, though it shouldn't interfere as it won't recognise the WiFi card - removal is an option.
This is from memory, done over a year ago with my killer ax1675i card. You may need to install the Bluetooth drivers from the same source.

Thank You Ripshod
I will pass this on...
Do you happen, to remember, where you discovered this solution with the killer drivers...In case we need to sell the idea to the guest?
We are always hesitant to fix something that isn't broke, from their perspective.....

Last edited:
I did a Google search for reviews about killer cards. The first few results obviously gave rave reviews, I just looked lower down. It was a networking community where I got my solution, not snb though.

Well..
I have been told that they installed the latest non killer driver and it didn't fix the issue.
I talked to a couple of the guests and apparently they too are disconnecting once or twice a day..
Maybe too many bugs are getting zapped and it is interfering with the internet connection...lol
So we are batting around the idea of using the forums advice of everyone connecting to one ap...
Problem is one of the guest's computer took out 2 of the newer ap's in rapid succession.
So
I might just let them connect wirelessly direct to the Telus modem...if they take it out it is up to Telus to deal with it.
Thanks for the help Everyone..
I will try and remember to update you on the results
:cool:

Last edited:
You are going to have overlapping channels no matter what (there are only 3 non-overlapping ones). Auto works fine. If there are no other 2.4 networks anywhere around (you only see your own) then setting static channels can be useful. If that is not the case, auto will typically yield better results, especially if you set it to reboot or rescan every day at like 3AM.
I am mainly thinking 5 GHz as 2.4 is pretty slow. You can try and turn off 2.4 on the middle AP. Also keep your channels narrow. I actually ran with 2.4 turned off in my house for year or so. This was before IOT devices which made me turn 2.4 on again. It is hard to balance both 2.4 and 5 GHz on my wireless APs. This is the reason I turned off 2.4 GHz in the first place years ago. Power setting can help.

Whenever I have used auto channel selection I always after a while end up with slow wireless and on weird channels. I go back in and manually set the channels and it works well again.

Last edited:
Killer never really had separate WiFi drivers they used standard QCA and Intel drivers, if you look in the package once extracted. The only difference from standard cards and thing that causes issues is the QoS software suite that’s linked to the hardware ID. That QoS Suite is literally their only real product. The hardware was all rebranded Ethernet/WiFi.

Windows loved auto downloading it and would even downgrade the driver if the one in the Killer package was older, and Killer once actually had a separate app that let you block the suite install from auto downloading. Not sure if the blocking app is still there post Intel buyout. If not you can use the Microsoft tool for blocking specific updates.

Last edited:
Just getting ready for work..
Yesterday was a bit of a wake up call..
It was pointed out that the new drivers installed makes it apparent that it is disconnecting and reconnecting...where before, I was lead to believe, it was working fine...just showing up in logs
Another guest, who has knocked out 2 ap's, is disconnecting a couple of times a day..on the DD WRT ap

Will be accessing the modem settings to see if it is safe to let them connect (wifi) directly..
It has been awhile since I set it up initially...
May just turn all the guest ap's off and only use 1 (for all guests) or direct to modem wifi..

May just turn all the guest ap's off and only use 1 (for all guests) or direct to modem wifi.

Well… hello! I told you where the problem is in the other thread.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!