What's new

Multiple entries in log allocating the same ip to the same computer

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

lol
Bandwidth should not have been an issue that caused it
Bandwidth controlled by switch individual port settings.
Wasn't too many open sessions either because that is controlled by router.
Replaced cable... which was a monoprice...no more monoprice..second one with issues.
I think it was one of the many hungry malware like apps the kids like to use today...and it could have been demanding too much bandwidth.
Which the ap shouldn't have taken the abuse... the switch should of been the one dealing with it.
Got to go
Thanks for input
Later..

Bandwidth issue unlikely to cause the issue you were seeing (unless it was totally saturated in one direction constantly, even then, one of those retries would have made it through). A bad cable could but that person also would have been seeing severe issues with their internet also. Monoprice cables are fine as long as you buy the decent (28 gauge, preferably 26 or 24) round ones. Not the flat or ultra thin ones, those are junk. Like everyone else, even their decent ones will have a bad one every now and then. Contact them and they'll send you a couple free ones.

I still think you're shooting yourself in the foot with that many APs in close proximity, a properly configured AP with isolation or separate guest SSIDs would accomplish the same thing, it is not more or less "soft" than multiple APs connecting to the same router. In fact, it would be more secure most likely.

drinkingbird...
Please don't be confused the bandwidth issue refered to an off topic discussion comparing a single AP system supplying service to 6 different clients on separate Vlans compared to mine using 6 different AP's..the bandwidth issue was referring to a different computer that had taken out a couple of my newer AP's...Monoprice is not reliable for any of my network..I first saw an issue with Remote desktop when quality was poor accessing one of my many folding at home computers...never use them again..3 unopened packages of them left..(bought a 5 pack)
Sorry if you missed a couple of posts...

Last edited:
If you are using the same radio channels on the APs you can be creating a problem. How do you handle this? Are you adjusting power level for each AP? You want the APs to run parallel not serial, so each AP needs to be on separate radio channels. You will have better bandwidth.

Each ap is set to Auto for channel select (no issues)
Highest power setting..
whole network itself runs fine..in my opinion..
Issues are different for each guest..in my opinion
Don't know if they are having issues unless It gets mentioned
Testing throughput at the moment on each ap...

In the middle of testing and enjoying my self created guest network.
I was able to recreate the mysterious page caching that seemed to happen occasionally.
Hooked my laptop up to every single ap and tested ping, latency, download, and upload.
6 ms average ping, download latency just over 12 on average, upload latency 16 on average..
Download 46MBPS (50mbps setting) Upload 47MBPS (50mbps setting)
All worked excellently..but
When I opened Facebook although it opened up quickly, all the scrolling produced blank sections.
It was a perfect fail of my network and showed me exactly why my guests were disappointed.
As a guest what can I do to make it work better for me.
Maybe reboot my laptop that hasn't been rebooted for a month or more?
Maybe run Auslogics registry cleaner?
After a reboot the problems of caching disappeared...no need for cleaner...lol
Then I tested a guest's Windows 11 machine...
175 sessions with gmail and https://ca.vessi.com ??????
I have 8 tabs open with facebook, cnn news, redditt, alliexpress, ca.vessi.com, hotmail, live365, youtube and I haven't hit 100 yet?
Windows 10 Home
I adjusted my sessions group to 75 and reproduced the caching..
So
Reboot when you see issues.
Learn how to tune Windows 11, if you want to enjoy your own network use, so that it doesn't bloat your network.
Problem Windows 11 DHCP guest is nowhere to be seen today...
Hmmm!

The original post still stands and am investigating why a Windows 11 computer is needing endless reconfirmation of it's ip address from router and possibly causing the router to reconfirm it's address with the modem.

Why does, this computer, keep doing this and yet able to preform as if nothing is wrong from the students perspective?
7 2023-05-30 21:59:22 <5> : DHCP Server allocated IP address 192.168.1.109 for the client from LAN port.
8 2023-05-30 21:59:23 <5> : DHCP Server allocated IP address 192.168.1.109 for the client from LAN port.
9 2023-05-30 21:59:32 <5> : DHCP Server allocated IP address 192.168.1.109 for the client from LAN port.

crux of the matter is that the DHCP handshake is not being completed - this is a routing issue...

drinkingbird...
Please don't be confused the bandwidth issue refered to an off topic discussion comparing a single AP system supplying service to 6 different clients on separate Vlans compared to mine using 6 different AP's..the bandwidth issue was referring to a different computer that had taken out a couple of my newer AP's...Monoprice is not reliable for any of my network..I first saw an issue with Remote desktop when quality was poor accessing one of my many folding at home computers...never use them again..3 unopened packages of them left..(bought a 5 pack)
Sorry if you missed a couple of posts...

So one pack of cables is bad and the whole brand is bad? What gauge are they, which category? They make some duds, and they make some great ones. Just need to know what to look for.

Honestly it is pretty hard to follow and understand you - you started a thread about DHCP issues then said bandwidth didn't cause it, forgive me for assuming you were talking about the topic at hand.

Now I think you're the one confused, sorry if you missed your original post.
lol
No original post possibly still stands.....
Still researching and testing the DHCP multiple entries
Shut that computer down for a few days, to compare network performance.

So one pack of cables is bad and the whole brand is bad? What gauge are they, which category? They make some duds, and they make some great ones. Just need to know what to look for.

Honestly it is pretty hard to follow and understand you - you started a thread about DHCP issues then said bandwidth didn't cause it, forgive me for assuming you were talking about the topic at hand.
Monoprice lost me as a customer so yes I feel that my time is worth more than their poor quality control.
Nothing ever takes a minute to fix, on computer related issues.
I could waste days, weeks, months... because of their poor quality control...years maybe.

drinkingbird.. Tech9 started an off topic discussion and I ran with it a bit discussing why I felt my hardware based network was easier to diagnose and control than his based on witchcraft...lol
Sorry Tech9 but you did distract things.. ;)
One AP can broadcast 6 different VLAN separated SSIDs.
drinkingbird I am only as good as others allow me to be.
I too have gotten lost at the bakery before..it isn't important.

crux of the matter is that the DHCP handshake is not being completed - this is a routing issue...
Thought I replied to this..?

And you still haven't sorted it - logs say what the problem is...
Logs say that the address was given..
computer sits idle for 4 hrs with a couple of web pages open. User has no issues with it's use. The handshake is completed. There is a random issue which I repeated ( if you compare log entries) with my laptop by changing from one ap to another.
Windows 11 has a whole tribe of people going on about the box that is always being filled by windows 11...concerning automatically connect to wifi
Not handshake or routing issue.

Speaking of Windows 11
the two guests who have windows 11 can suddenly have 200 sessions in use because they have 2 tabs open...while a Windows 10 computer can have 15 tabs open and have less than 100 sessions in use
Hmmm...

Speaking of Windows 11
the two guests who have windows 11 can suddenly have 200 sessions in use because they have 2 tabs open...while a Windows 10 computer can have 15 tabs open and have less than 100 sessions in use
Hmmm...

Nothing to do with tabs, OS, or browser. Some websites will pull hundreds or even thousands links for advertising and tracking. Each is a different TCP session. Pull up the same sites on both OSes and assuming one isn't running and ad blocker or tracking protection, you'll see about the same number of TCP sessions.

Monoprice lost me as a customer so yes I feel that my time is worth more than their poor quality control.
I could waste days, weeks, months... because of their poor quality control...years maybe.

drinkingbird.. Tech9 started an off topic discussion and I ran with it a bit discussing why I felt my hardware based network was easier to diagnose and control than his based on witchcraft...lol

If it takes you years to diagnose a bad network cable, that's not monoprice's fault. If you have the cash to spend on Panduit, Belden, Commscope, etc, by all means, go for it.

Why do you keep getting lost at the bakery? I've gotten lost at Ikea, but not the bakery.

Nothing to do with tabs, OS, or browser. Some websites will pull hundreds or even thousands links for advertising and tracking. Each is a different TCP session. Pull up the same sites on both OSes and assuming one isn't running and ad blocker or tracking protection, you'll see about the same number of TCP sessions.
I added the same tabs to the windows 10 as the windows 11 (both machines running blockers) and the windows 10 still never went over 100.
If it takes you years to diagnose a bad network cable, that's not monoprice's fault. If you have the cash to spend on Panduit, Belden, Commscope, etc, by all means, go for it.
It certainly would be their fault. It isn't mine.
I didn't make their crappy cable. ...lol
I have way more important things to build and maintain.
If they had checked their product I wouldn't of had to look for an issue..
No telling how long it takes to find intermittent issues caused by cables.
Monoprice cables passed the test made by the commercial tester.
It was windows remote desktop that reported the one faulty cable.
Then I saw online what you were saying about them...quality not there.
Oh..you wouldn't put a time frame on it if you saw the size of my network....lol
Actually the local hardware had more reliable cat cables than monoprice..
Why do you keep getting lost at the bakery? I've gotten lost at Ikea, but not the bakery.
Oh sorry I only imagined getting lost at the bakery chief, so not to make you feel bad..
Ikea?...Just look for the shortcuts..lol

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!