What's new

My brand new ASUS AC86U can only go up to 500Mbps on WiFi 5GHz.

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

999cm999

Occasional Visitor
Hi everyone, after months of research, I finally bit the bullet and bought a brand new ASUS AC86U to replace my Xfinity-provided XB7 router.

My Xfinity plan is 1 gigabit down and 50mbps up.

I absolutely love the GUI interface of this ASUS router and I love how many settings can be adjusted.

However, I am unfortunately getting much slower WiFi speeds across all my WiFi devices.

My XB7 router averaged around 625Mbps over WiFi 5GHz over the past few months(SpeedTest app).

But so far, using the SpeedTest app, my new AC86U is barely getting past 350MBps on WiFi 5GHz.

I reset the router once, and the speeds are the no better.

Are there any settings I need to enable/disable in order to take advantage of my 1GBps ISP speeds?

Thanks!

Set the WIFI:
Use Dual Band Smart Connect
2.4 GHZ at 20 MHZ channel 1, 6 or 11
5 GHZ at 80 MHZ channel 36 or 149
WPS off
Wireless/Professional disable Airtime Fairness and Universal Beamforming for both 2.4 and 5 GHZ
Set the antenna to \ | / position
My 2x2 laotop adaptors connect at over 800 Mbps

Set the WIFI:
Use Dual Band Smart Connect
2.4 GHZ at 20 MHZ channel 1, 6 or 11
5 GHZ at 80 MHZ channel 36 or 149
WPS off
Wireless/Professional disable Airtime Fairness and Universal Beamforming for both 2.4 and 5 GHZ
Set the antenna to \ | / position

Do you think I should return the AC86U and get the newer AX86U? I ask because 4 of my wifi devices are new iPhones which can use WiFi 6.

thanks

Is that a WiFi connection link rate speed or a speed test throughput speed?

OE

Is that a WiFi connection link rate speed or a speed test throughput speed?

OE

Hi, it is from the Speed Test app that I have been using regularly for a year or so to measure internet speeds at home.

With my Xfinity-provided XB7 wireless router, I had been getting average speeds that clocked in around 625Mbps over WiFi 5GHz.

Now with the new ASUS AC86U, I haven't been able to get much above 350MBps on WiFi 5GHz.

The only thing that has changed in my setup is the new ASUS router. I haven't changed my ISP/plan or my devices.

Thanks!

Hi, it is from the Speed Test app that I have been using regularly for a year or so to measure internet speeds at home.

With my Xfinity-provided XB7 wireless router, I had been getting average speeds that clocked in around 625Mbps over WiFi 5GHz.

Now with the new ASUS AC86U, I haven't been able to get much above 350MBps on WiFi 5GHz.

The only thing that has changed in my setup is the new ASUS router. I haven't changed my ISP/plan or my devices.

Thanks!

Understood (my questions were not for you).

What are your AC86U 5.0 WiFi settings for protocol (n/ac) and bandwidth (80 MHz)?

And disable Universal Beamforming and Airtime Fairness.

OE

Understood (my questions were not for you).

What are your AC86U 5.0 WiFi settings for protocol (n/ac) and bandwidth (80 MHz)?

And disable Universal Beamforming and Airtime Fairness.

OE

Oh sorry! :) My bandwidth is 80. I will disable those two options and retry.

Just curious, do you think I should return this AC86 and get the AX86? I wonder if that would help with my iPhone and iPads that support WiFi 6?

Thanks!

Oh sorry! :) My bandwidth is 80. I will disable those two options and retry.

Just curious, do you think I should return this AC86 and get the AX86? I wonder if that would help with my iPhone and iPads that support WiFi 6?

Thanks!

I don't think it matters much, but suit yourself. Both routers will get the job done.

What is your AC86U 5.0 WiFi setting for protocol (n/ac)?

Have you turned OFF your old router/WiFi?

OE

My old one is turned off and I have the 86u set for ‘n’

My install notes suggest basic settings. I suggest you review them and yours. Setting your 5.0 band to wireless-n is a bottleneck... try n/ac instead.

And don't overlook things... the details matter.

OE

My old one is turned off and I have the 86u set for ‘n’
Check out my old post about the AC86U, THIS and try changing the settings like i did back then except for fhe channels, try finding the best ones at your area. Since than i never touched the settings and my laptop can easily top 600-650Mbps on the 5Ghz WIFI.