What's new

My internet disconnects for a brief moment (about 10 sec) excactly at 8, 9, 10, 11 pm. What do I do?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

birgersp

Occasional Visitor
Hey,

I have a weird issue with my home network.

At 8, 9, 10 and 11 pm my internet disconnects for a moment. About 10-20 seconds or something. Sometimes it happens so fast that my internet status on my windows PC is shown as "online" and with internet access but all internet-requiring services stop. Sometimes my PC will show a notification that I have no internet connection. haven't noticed wether my network interface "reconnects" or something. perhaps the wifi remains connected but it is only my WAN connection that stops.

I checked my routers "system log", heres what I could find:

Feb 10 20:00:04 wlceventd: wlceventd_proc_event(494): eth6: Deauth_ind MACADDR1, status: 0, reason: Deauthenticated because sending station is leaving (or has left) IBSS or ESS (3), rssi:-74
Feb 10 20:00:22 wlceventd: wlceventd_proc_event(530): eth6: Auth MACADDR1, status: Successful (0), rssi:0
Feb 10 20:00:22 wlceventd: wlceventd_proc_event(559): eth6: Assoc MACADDR1, status: Successful (0), rssi:0
Feb 10 20:00:23 wlceventd: wlceventd_proc_event(530): eth6: Auth MACADDR2, status: Successful (0), rssi:0
Feb 10 20:00:23 wlceventd: wlceventd_proc_event(559): eth6: Assoc MACADDR2, status: Successful (0), rssi:0
Feb 10 20:00:24 wlceventd: wlceventd_proc_event(511): eth6: Disassoc MACADDR2, status: 0, reason: Disassociated because sending station is leaving (or has left) BSS (8), rssi:0
Feb 10 20:01:06 kernel: eth2 (Ext switch port: 1) (Logical Port: 9) Link UP 100 mbps full duplex
Feb 10 20:01:35 kernel: eth2 (Ext switch port: 1) (Logical Port: 9) Link DOWN.

(MACADDR1 and MACADDR2 are two actual mac-addresses that I removed because I figured that would be safer)

Btw its possible this happens other times as well. but this is when I am voice-chatting with friends/gaming so I notice it best.

What can I do about this?

If you could connect - even temporarily - via wired ethernet, you could begin to localize the problem.
From those 8pm entries you provided, is that a loss of internet? Doesn't look like it to me. Actually, it looks like a Wifi event to me...

Router model and firmware used, please. Are you using DFS channels?

If you could connect - even temporarily - via wired ethernet, you could begin to localize the problem.
From those 8pm entries you provided, is that a loss of internet? Doesn't look like it to me. Actually, it looks like a Wifi event to me...
It could be that it's just the connection between my PC and the router that goes down (not actually my WAN connection). If it is only Wifi event, what could be the cause of it? A friend of mine mentioned that maybe it was like a DHCP refresh of IPs or something?

I am planning to install a wire between my router and to my office but it will take a little time. Meanwhile I would really like to understand what's going on.

Router model and firmware used, please. Are you using DFS channels?

Router is Asus AC-86U, my wifi adapter on my computer is Asus AC-68.
For the router formware I am using merlin-wrt (latest version).

I'll get back to you about the DFS channels. I don't know what DFS channels are but I'll check and try to find that out once I get back home.

ESS (3), rssi:-74

If this is your PC and it was disconnected at -74dBm - the signal level is low and you may get disconnections even walking around it and blocking the signal with your body. Your router also works harder 8-11PM - there is more active clients around, more interference and less bandwidth available.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!