What's new

My ISP is Wireless. How can I setup a home network?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

technohindu

New Around Here
I just moved to an apartment building that provides free wireless internet throughout. It's a great connections too. However in my previous diggs I had a home network setup with both wired and wireless computers and also a media center pc which streamed content from other PCs in the house.

Now since the apartment building provides free internet each PC is connecting directly to the internet but not to each other. How do I adapt my home networking routers to receive the WAN connection wirelessly instead of through a cable modem?

I would in effect like to setup my own wireless LAN inside of the larger building LAN. Any ideas?

Thanks!

If you already have a wireless router, just use a wireless bridge like the Linksys WET610N or WGA600N and connect it to your router's WAN port.

I just moved to an apartment building that provides free wireless internet throughout. It's a great connections too.

You didn't provide any other info about other factors which may (or may not ... I'm still very inexperienced) affect how your wireless LAN performs.

• What protocol does the apartment's wireless LAN use? (802.11g or something else?)
  • Is the apartment's wireless protocol the same as what you'd use on your local wireless LAN?
  • How much "stuff" would you be connecting? And would they all use the same wireless protocol or different?

Assuming the apartment uses 802.11g and so does all your stuff, then I'm not sure what channels you'd use for the bridge versus your wireless LAN other than to guess you'd want as much separation between them as possible. (Just a guess though ...)

-irrational john

Bridge

Thanks for the replies. I currently have a belkin router and I also used a bridge to connect the wired and wireless parts of my prior setup. Belkin seemed to document that only their wireless bridges would work with their routers. I'm not sure if this was just a marketing ploy or true. I will give a linksys bridge a try.

To answer the other questions: The apartment is 802.11G and so is my home network.

Thanks for the help.

Hemanth

Belkin seemed to document that only their wireless bridges would work with their routers. I'm not sure if this was just a marketing ploy or true.
Probably marketing at work. As long as the Belkin bridge doesn't require WDS, it should work. What's the model #.

And as zjohnr noted, set your WLAN to use a different channel than your wireless "ISP" connection, choosing from 1, 6 or 11.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!