What's new

My RT-AC5400 is requiring more frequent reboots should I do the M&M or nuclear reset?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Just plugged in ethernet and changed ax to AP and it's closer to a gig speed now.... :D I still need to schedule the on and off of SSID1 the AP is indeed different, out of curiosity, should I turn down the output of AC5300? so it doesn't interfer with AX1100? (also it would keep the temperature down wouldn't it?)

should I turn down the output of AC5300?

Honestly, I would get a new main router tomorrow and swap this old RT-AC5300. It's on End-of-Life list and Asuswrt-Merlin 386.12 firmware is perhaps the last one for it, unless RMerlin wants to continue for some time with component updates. Your people upstairs don't need a 3-band monster spider and perhaps don't need 3rd party firmware with 100s settings. You are not very familiar with the 100s settings anyway. One more AX1500 like yours may do the same job as the old RT-AC5300. May be even better. As I understand you just need something that works reliably. You can have it for under $100. If Internet connection issues continue - call the ISP and they'll fix it for you. You started troubleshooting yourself something you are not familiar with and in a wrong direction. This process may continue forever. Do project management, best outcome strategy, execute and move on.

You can take some M&M's, your choice. High in calories.

1695853045817.png

Last edited:
Honestly, I would get a new main router tomorrow and swap this old RT-AC5300. It's on End-of-Life list and Asuswrt-Merlin 386.12 firmware is perhaps the last one for it, unless RMerlin wants to continue for some time with component updates. Your people upstairs don't need a 3-band monster spider and perhaps don't need 3rd party firmware with 100s settings. You are not very familiar with the 100s settings anyway. One more AX1500 like yours may do the same job as the old RT-AC5300. May be even better. As I understand you just need something that works reliably. You can have it for under $100. If Internet connection issues continue - call the ISP and they'll fix it for you. You started troubleshooting yourself something you are not familiar with and in a wrong direction. This process may continue forever. Do project management, best outcome strategy, execute and move on.

You can take some M&M's, your choice. High in calories.

View attachment 53342
Hmmm the 50$ one is better…? It seems to have new life after the reset. I’ll keep you posted if it has more issues.

Yeah I’m wanting to get like a 300-400 maybe next year… but might talk myself out of it as I may not need that high of speeds etc. If that’s the case I may just buy a 50$ one (although I did like the internet filtering however) and parental controls AI protection etc. I’d have to compare features.

Hmmm the 50$ one is better…?

It depends on your understanding of better. Better for most home users is set it with few clicks on a phone app and forget it. Your $300-400 router won't be 6-8 times better in Wi-Fi compared to $50 router and one day you'll find your teenager bypassing $200 worth of "features" with few clicks.

It depends on your understanding of better. Better for most home users is set it with few clicks on a phone app and forget it. Your $300-400 router won't be 6-8 times better in Wi-Fi compared to $50 router and one day you'll find your teenager bypassing $200 worth of "features" with few clicks.
bandwidth speed, connectivity issues, filtering, blocking malware/virus/etc, router scheduling (for now), Ethernet ports (like 4), Nat(?), Vlan tagging

Don’t think I care about QoS, back up (like Apple Time Machine), media server, is an IPv4/6 good?

It’s nice to have a guest network, an app

Not sure what I need for the reliability and speed… 🤷‍♂️ like mumio or whatever that is… I think WPA3 is best for security. For reliability I just really care about a one room, coincidentally I’m in the room with my router and they are in the other room, or they are connected by Ethernet.

I have two smart lights, then about like 11 devices (5 laptops (all (or can be) are connected to Ethernet, either from the router or a switch), 5 phones (via WiFi), 2 tablets, 1 desktop computer(Ethernet)), and rarely an Apple TV (Ethernet), randomly a Nintendo switch. There is occasionally other devices but those are the normal ones.
Not sure the capabilities of the phones if they support WiFi 6 or not.

Last edited:

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!