What's new

My RT-AC5400 is requiring more frequent reboots should I do the M&M or nuclear reset?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

relatives that pay for said ISP and have me manage it. So it’s an unchangeable aspect. Yes they are a tad bit of witchcraft with not believing in having it on but 🤷‍♂️ they pay for it so what can I do.

I’m not positive they complain it goes out; I’ve noticed a few times but not long. Sometimes it just drops and I reboot it. I think that fixes it. I’m hoping this will to the trick for next few months till a good WiFi 7 router comes out and I can upgrade for next few years.

Did you read the first post? Also, read the whole thread before making your disparaging remarks.

I've been giving as helpful information as I can for the last 24-hour period. The witchcraft you allude to is in your head.
I agree you’ve been helpful with what he’s asked for. But maybe he asked for the wrong thing.

I’m not positive they complain it goes out

Without knowing what problem you are trying to solve you can reboot and reset forever.

If you can't read your ISP modem or router logs for some clues - what are you doing right now is just shooting in the dark.

Perhaps the router upstairs has some issues, not yours.

Last edited:
so the WiFi network keeps showing up… granted I’m on the second router that gets its internet from the router. My cousin is connected via Ethernet cord and complains the internet is out.

Sooooo it MAY be an ISP thing then…? I’ll switch the router to be an Access Point and make a guest network to see if it’s a router issue or ISP issue.

Also to be clear, the router is connected to the ONT and does Vlan tagging, sooo there isn’t a modem to the best of my knowledge.

ISP ——> ONT ——> Router —-> devices

No modem just a black box that controls the phone landline and the internet.

I also run the router upstairs as it is mine as well as the downstairs one. The downstairs is a cheaper WiFi 6 thing for like 50$ from prime day. Just for my phone etc. the upstairs is the ac5300

@Tech9
Speaking of WiFi I actually don’t know…. I haven’t really seen it drop etc. because I’m connected to the second router, and my cousin is connected via Ethernet (both second router and Ethernet are connected to the router that is connected to the ONT)

Re the router: The router connected to the ONT is the asus ac5300 that I am working with in this thread.

Re: the mode: The second router is in router mode but I’m switching to AP mode with guest network shortly…

Last edited:
This "first", "second" and "upstairs" router is confusing. Let's talk with models. Make a simple diagram like this:

Code:
ISP -> RT-AC5300 -> other router (or AP)

|              |

SSID_1         SSID_2
        devices        devices

Is this what you guys have?

This "first", "second" and "upstairs" router is confusing. Let's talk with models. Make a simple diagram like this:

Code:
ISP -> RT-AC5300 -> other router (or AP)

|              |

SSID_1         SSID_2
        devices        devices

Is this what you guys have?
You are correct!

Okay, complete the diagram using model numbers, router or AP, what's wired and wireless and to what, indicate with * where is the complaint coming from. It can be a device or a simple Ethernet cable moving slightly and breaking the connection. Sometimes the solution is simpler than you think.

Code:
ISP ->(via cat 8 Ethernet) RT-AC5300 -> (via 100 foot cat 8?/7) ax1500??? Router mode  (switching to AP)

|                                                |

SSID_1                                               SSID_2*
                           Laptop via ethernet*                     My Phone wireless (it says no internet, when the error happens)
                        Relative phone (wireless) *

[/QUOTE]
Ok how’s that? I thought you captured it perfectly.

Edit: oops missed the *

Last edited:
Okay, so where is the Internet breaking up? Client connected to AC5300, to AX1500, both? Wired or wireless client?

In AC5300 System Log look for WAN related messages first. Then look for "link down/up" messages for LAN ports (the wired client). Unfortunately, because you played nuclear physicist earlier you perhaps have nothing there now and have to wait for the next Internet anomaly. Is this a constant issue or intermittent? Any observations when it happens more often?

In AC5300 System Log look for WAN related messages first. Then look for "link down/up" messages for LAN ports (the wired client). Unfortunately, because you played nuclear physicist earlier you perhaps have nothing there now and have to wait for the next Internet anomaly. Is this a constant issue or intermittent? Any observations when it happens more often?
Indeed. It goes back to May 4th but then jumps after system clock is set… soooo no luck there

Intermittent issue. No observations it just sporadically happens.

So I’ll wait until it happens again and then mention things.

Shall I put the ax1500 in AP mode and toggle on a guest network ? For better WiFi coverage…?

What router has serve Wi-Fi between 6-11 only?

Is it okay for all of you to you have all your devices on one network?

A
What router has serve Wi-Fi between 11-6 only?

Is it okay for all of you to you have all your devices on one network?
Oh my apologies shall I update the diagram?
The router needs to be off, is SSID1 oh that’s why I can’t have a AP because it will be broadcasting the SSID1 which has to go off…. 🤦‍♂️

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!